What's new

Strategy The Boy Wonder! -- Nightwing General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AssassiN

Noob
You are right on that Superman one...sorry for the massive brain fart. Been labbing this all afternoon. I figured out what was going on with the corpse charge, that was my first method of testing. The corpse charge would beat the d2 or trade. I couldn't ever beat the corpse charge...

However, I believe I found the explanation for that. nightwings D2 actually becomes active behind his head (that would be the 8f spot) it actually takes around 9 or 10 frames for it to reach the opponent.

Could be right about that. Another method that I was trying is against Joker's flower(10 frame). I did D1 on block and followed it up with 1(11 frame). NW wins against that, so when I noticed that I started thinking that it was more than +1.

So after more testing I'm pretty sure it's +3 on block.
Sorry about putting faulty information out there, should have tested more instead of relying on D2.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Could be right about that. Another method that I was trying is against Joker's flower(10 frame). I did D1 on block and followed it up with 1(11 frame). NW wins against that, so when I noticed that I started thinking that it was more than +1.

So after more testing I'm pretty sure it's +3 on block.
Sorry about putting faulty information out there, should have tested more instead of relying on D2.

I tried the standing one test too, the problem with that, is that it adds on frames to stand from the crouch. So it is also not accurate lol

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
So in the wake of all the anti wake up setups people were coming up with, I devoted myself to finding some with Dick.

Here it is:
I went to the lab after your boy Sonoc Boom Brad showed me how to reverse wake inputs with DD in the corner. If you end your corner combo with flip kick and dash in, sometimes you don't even need to flip kick again.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I went to the lab after your boy Sonoc Boom Brad showed me how to reverse wake inputs with DD in the corner. If you end your corner combo with flip kick and dash in, sometimes you don't even need to flip kick again.
Yeah, I've actually found similar instances. The reason you have to flip kick here, is because the opponent takes to long to wake up after you end with staff spin. This kind of tech is really great for NW, since he already has really nasty corner setups anyway.

Hopefully all of this anti wake up tech will make people block in this game. There is something about punishing wake ups that is so unsatisfying compared to just opening up people who are blocking.

Edit: I also found a way to make this work midscreen by the way. I'll post it up in a bit so you guys can see it.

XxM3LLOxX

CORN WulfGangM3LLO
hello my fellow Dicks. I've been scooping and taking notes from all who have tried to make our character the monster that he is. I've been playing Nightwing around the 2 week and i saw his potential ASAP. Anyway, im still new to the threads so plz dont jump down my throat about posting in the wrong area. Today was our weekly Ranbat in Michigan, and i decided to enter after working so much, i placed 2nd, i lost to my fellow CORN teammate CORN JDM. i honestly felt like i done well, at the sametime i really felt like i wasnt playing my best. my main problem is Supes, as u will see on the matches below. I'm pretty u all experienced and feel my sad dreaded pain for that match up. If u all could welcome me to the Dick Family, i would appreciate it. Any type of Feed-back would help, good or bad.
-1st match: 2:05. VS SUPES. i noticed i was dropping things i normally dont drop, i deserve that for not warming up before hand.
-2nd match: 16:20 VS GL &SUPES. i was missing some escrima fury combos here and paid dearly for it. what my plan is after B2 is to carry them to corner ASAP.
-3rd match: 27:40. VS Wonder Woman. i really wasnt focused during this time because i was still pissed off from the previous game as u will see lol:mad:
-4th match: 44:00 VS SUPES. i feel like i played this runback pretty well. again feedback will help me grow. im still upset i was holding UF after my MB ground blast combo and i was getting neutral jump instead. i anti air supes with D2 staff, sadly my 4 didnt come to switch for Escrima Fury. i was throwing some Flying Dicks out there alot because Compbros ALWAYS backdashes or up backs on wake up
-5th match: 1:04:45 VS Batman This was JDM lil bro first tourney and he did quite well. As u can see i took advantage of him lacking NW experience, hes only played me a few times in the past but he will learn.
-6th match: 1:13:25. Grand Finals VS SUPES. i really dont want to comment on this, i was hoping u all would preach to me about what happen during this.
http://www.twitch.tv/addmitt/b/426776294
Yet again i hope u all welcome me, because Nightwing has by far the most professional threads I have seen.

NightwingDayZero

I've been watching your progress bro, great stuff out there. Ill watch and analyze later tonight I'm at a session right now. Congrats on your placement and I look forward to seeing more from you.

You going to EVO?

I made a list of all of the air interactables that Nightwing can reach in staff stance a while back and forgot to post it. In case this stuff is not known I'm going to post it here.
  • Gotham city/alley-right corner sign.
  • Strikers island/cell block-left corner turret
  • Arkham asylum/mess hall-center chandelier
  • Hall of justice/great hall-center planet
  • Atlantis-center pipe
That should be all of them.

XxM3LLOxX

CORN WulfGangM3LLO
I've been watching your progress bro, great stuff out there. Ill watch and analyze later tonight I'm at a session right now. Congrats on your placement and I look forward to seeing more from you.

You going to EVO?
Thanks man I appreciate you keeping a eye on me, I never knew. Hope your session goes well, and no I wot be attending EVO. I REALLY wish I could go and see how far I would get. EVO would be the perfect time and place to show Nightwings full potential

AssassiN

Noob
XxM3LLOxX

Great matches, liked your use of Ground Spark cancels to just build meter and play mind games + using Flipkick to fuck over their wake-ups in the corner. You played the Green Lantern MU very good, got nothing to add on there.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like D12~4~Ground Pound. I mean there is such a big hole in there that they can punish you for doing that.
Against Superman you tried to use projectiles too much at one point and at another point not enough, if you can hit him once with a projectile you'll get closer a lot faster. Like between his Straight lasers you can interrupt it with ducking the first one and then Ground Spark/Pound to counter the 2nd one. If you are in Staff full screen and Superman jumps to do air lasers, you can jump back and check him with Ground Pound.

At certain moments you used Flying Grayson to get under Superman's zoning. It's something I like to do as well but it sucks you were never able to punish it, you can punish it with j2, 1~Ground Pound MB, B3, J2, Staff Spin to keep him close. In Escrima if you got under him you went for B2 which I don't think is a good idea, with B2 you need to hit it right before they will hit the ground while you could have used D2 which got buffed and will AA. Against JDM when you got him in the corner he air-dashed out every time when he had the chance, should have kept him in the corner.
As anti wake-up goes, if you end with Staff Spin you can cancel that into Escrima and jump over him. This will avoid every single wake-up he's got, you cant punish one of them(I forgot which one, I think it's the air grab but you can whiff punish everything else). In Escrima B2 will counter everything except low scoop, in Staff a well distanced B3 is the same(MB is not required).

Other than that your pressure was good and you have stance cancels down, welcome to the Dick family.

NightwingDayZero

If I were to ask for any buffs for this character, more active frames on our attacks. Our staff standing 2 and Escrima b2 should function just as effectively as Aquaman's b2. I'm really sick of seeing my opponent clip through inactive frames.

Noob
If I were to ask for any buffs for this character, more active frames on our attacks. Our staff standing 2 and Escrima b2 should function just as effectively as Aquaman's b2. I'm really sick of seeing my opponent clip through inactive frames.

hmmm maybe... mostly i would like to change the way his D2 works... i mean its probably the worse D2 in the game atm.. its slow the start up is so big that as a anti air its useless in comparison to other characters that just had their D2 reworked to be pretty good... for you to use NW D2 as a anti air you have to guess and throw it out there just as they start to jump.. you cant do it on reaction at all like almost all the cast atm

NightwingDayZero

hmmm maybe... mostly i would like to change the way his D2 works... i mean its probably the worse D2 in the game atm.. its slow the start up is so big that as a anti air its useless in comparison to other characters that just had their D2 reworked to be pretty good... for you to use NW D2 as a anti air you have to guess and throw it out there just as they start to jump.. you cant do it on reaction at all like almost all the cast atm

I have been making staff and escrima D2 work for me since the buff.

If it's anti-Air you want, more active frames on staff standing 2 and escrima b2 would be your answer. If those attacks functioned like Aquaman's; our corner game would be complete.

Noob
I have been making staff and escrima D2 work for me since the buff.

If it's anti-Air you want, more active frames on staff standing 2 and escrima b2 would be your answer. If those attacks functioned like Aquaman's; our corner game would be complete.
maybe its the online lag thats just getting in my way as im yet to try it out offline... but i still feel its to slow theres a lot of guessing with it... but you m ight be right in your acessement of the active frames

Noob
Yo AssassiN, we need to play again man its been a while since i played you... ( you havent been on in a few days as well isee XD) my NW evolved A LOT!!!

Noob
@XxM3LLOxX

Hey man just watched your matches and im impressed for a 2 week NW your very effective and fast with him... the only thing i can see that might need tweaking is your presure with staff... i see you do D1,D1 and most of the times you go into Standing pressure game like S1 or overhead, try doing J2 that alone will overhead any Crouching Oppenents making them Stand to block from here theres so much you can do: J2 into S1,f2 ground spark, you can do S1 into overhead for another KD or my favorite J2,2 into B3 for a full combo but theres so manyh options just explore a bit m8... one thing to be carefull and watchfull for is that some ppl while Blocking love that machin D1 or D2 depending if the4 character has a good D2 like aquaman, for those ppl, that like to abuse tha,t what i do is very effective and leads into a combo regardless: after doing your tipical D1,D1, jump back1 to make their D1/D2 whiff, while your Jb1 will have enouth range to hit.. from here you can do 2 things i find pretty good, first is after the Jb1 connects do a Standing1 into groundspark MB Note that if you try to do Jb1,S1,F2 for the string the 2nd hit will whiff and your opponent will be out .. the other option is after Standing1 do D3 for a KD to reset the situation this is usefull in the corner for the new anti wake up tech... Just another thing i saw you do that you have to watch out for is that in a combo where for some reason you do a MB groundblast and your opponent is very close to you, chances are the B3 will whiff from right over you like it happened i think in your first or second match leaving you very funerable... what i do if i feel my opponent is to close for a B3 to connect is the following combo: MB groundblast J3 S1 into D3 for the KD after the KD wait like a micro second and do Flying grayson if you need the Damage to kill him off, what this will do is that the flying grayson sometimes if timed right on wake up will Cross your opponent up and make them unable to wake up atack.. the timing is strict on this one so be carefull when using it... while you cant be punished it and if the FG is blocked you will be able to continue pressure if the FG is timed wrong they can wakeup atack u... ( this tech was found and posted here sometime ago if anyone still has the vid explain it and if this still works " i think it does iv been doing it all day" please correct me, i dont want to give false info the a fellow NW user )

I hope you find this helpfull and feel free to ask anything here im,we, willbe more than happy to help you impruve and represent NW ;)

EDIT: woahh huge read XD need to keep it shorter next time

XxM3LLOxX

CORN WulfGangM3LLO
I really appreciate the feedback fellas, i can go nothing but up from here on. My XBL GT is XxM3LLOwolfxX if anyone wanting to spar or anything

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I personally think Blue finger-stripes or DiscoDick would be better than a Robin skin.

I would love a hush type skin, but Robin is most definitely at the top of my list. It just needs to happen. Red and Black Robin preferably...like Tim Drake or Jason style.

Joker's Shoes

Now Simply Extraordinaire
New guy here. Quick question, although I imagine there'll be many more to come.

Does Nightwing have a reliable combo for transitions in escrima stance? Also, what do you generally use as a starter when beginning a reversal/punisher combo? f213?

Status
Not open for further replies.