What's new

Strategy The Boy Wonder! -- Nightwing General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AssassiN

Noob
Could have told you that sooner, staff does wonders against DD.
- He can't do supernova when you are zoning with Ground Blast
- You got superior range
- You can AA his splash with staff
- You can shutdown his trait with D1 spam combined with Staff Spin(be careful with this though, normal Staff Spin on hit will get you punished, you have to MB it)

You'll have a hard time backdashing in this stance after DD does his MB Venom charge on block.

My tactic against his trait is to make sure I get into Staff Stance and do MB Staff Spin, if he is still in trait follow it up with 1~Ground Blast. He can only backdash and by then it's already too late and his trait ran out.

I might have found a way to punish D1~Earth Shake, but I'll need to test it out more and see if I can get it consistently to work.

Saitsu

Noob
So does anyone find it annoying that a lot of the better characters require the use of escrima: Supes, BA, DD
Also shameless thread promotion... someone comment on my staff or escrima matchup thread lol

It just means more people have to get comfortable in Escrima. And I suggest to all players to learn how to use both stances in every matchup, even in the ones that don't make sense (like using Escrima against Aquaman).

You won't always be in the stance you want, so you better learn how to be comfortable in both. Just being a Staff Master or vice versa will not cut it.

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
It just means more people have to get comfortable in Escrima. And I suggest to all players to learn how to use both stances in every matchup, even in the ones that don't make sense (like using Escrima against Aquaman).

You won't always be in the stance you want, so you better learn how to be comfortable in both. Just being a Staff Master or vice versa will not cut it.
Your right but I would like to point out that I am not a staff master... I am THE staff master ;)

DuskAlloy

But like you said we arent going to be in the stance we always want, thats why ive been playing only escrima stance lately unless its a MU that requires staff

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Took me awhile, but I've become really comfortable in both. I switch from Escrima to Staff to Escrima in every combo and block string. I feel this throws my opponent off, as my options are always changing. Those who are unfamiliar with Nightwing are taken apart pretty easily by gimmicky stuff.

At this point I'm just working on proper spacing, matchup knowledge, and how to make myself play less predictably.

And as always, execution.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Im gonna blow your fucking mind, there is a use for normal version
I use on 2 occasions:

When I think my opponent will jump at me when a match starts, it beats out a lot of shit.
As a wakeup sometimes if someone keeps crossing me up.

If theres another reason I'll be damned.

DuskAlloy

I use on 2 occasions:

When I think my opponent will jump at me when a match starts, it beats out a lot of shit.
As a wakeup sometimes if someone keeps crossing me up.

If theres another reason I'll be damned.
No me and saitsu recently went over this lol in the past few pages

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
If you are not using escrima, you are doing it wrong.

The most effective way to play this character is to constantly switch back and forth for the mobility on a per character basis. Escrima to get in, Staff to lock down.

Escrima to run away, Staff to Push out.

Green Lantern matchup is a prime example. Try playing that one in just staff mode.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.

It's time to add more things to the stable, in this case, Interactible usage.

I use the same setup for corner interactables that I use for corner neutral jump ambiguous setups. This allows me to place the bomb on the interactable and it will always catch my opponent on wakeup. I follow up with walk forward 113 df2 113 df2 which usually hits for 31%.

I haven't optimized it at all and I haven't found a strong way to end combos on midscreen bomb placement. I really need to take interactables more seriously, at the moment I consider them free resets to compliment my situational awareness.

I have a request.. Does anyone know where the video is that shows Nightwing punishing Deathstroke gun shots with his staff special that hits into the ground with electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.