What's new

General/Other The Ask Rain Thread

Pagan

Noob
Your main problem is that you are letting up on 3 after you finish the QCB motion. What negative edge is is that the game registers an input both when you hit a button and when you let up on it. With Rain you have to be extremely literal with your inputs because he has so many specials with near identical inputs.

Definitely just the negative edge from you rushing the inputs

Oh, and what's his main bnb for corners?
Thanks guys!
These are the two easiest with sick damage:

Jip < 43 < bubble < 43 < geyser kick < 43 < geyser kick < 43 < geyser kick for 48%

or

Jip < 43 < lightning < 43 < geyser kick < 43 < geyser kick < 43 < geyser kick for 47%

bowzr

Noob
Alright, thanks a ton guys I'll make sure to do that next time.
I guess I'm too used to MvC and SF for combos, haha.
Thanks for that combo Cburn

Damage boast not worth using in high level play?

I dont have Rain, nor am I a high level player, so I dont know the answer to this. But I noticed that CD Jr never uses damage boast. Is it not worth the risk to pull it out every now and then?

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Yeah man i hate when people BOAST about how much damage they do, just stupid...

lol no but really, it's a bad strategy move, not only is the animation extremely punishable but the fact that the damage BOOST comes with the disability to block just makes it obsolete in high level play. The only smart way to use it would be to do it after a lightning hits(lightning gives you time to do h20 boost uninterrupted), but again it limits the player with the block disabled.

For example, i've had 90% combo sequences online and offline by doing JP,4,3~bubble,4,3~roundhouse,4,3~lightning 38%
Right after the lightning you'll have enough time to EX h20 boost uninterrupted then go ahead and cross up and do JP, 1,2,f4~1,2,f4 ,4,3~lightning, 4~geyser kick for 56%

It's possible to do it, but again, not very effective against high level players

Yeah man i hate when people BOAST about how much damage they do, just stupid...

lol no but really, it's a bad strategy move, not only is the animation extremely punishable but the fact that the damage BOOST comes with the disability to block just makes it obsolete in high level play. The only smart way to use it would be to do it after a lightning hits(lightning gives you time to do h20 boost uninterrupted), but again it limits the player with the block disabled.

For example, i've had 90% combo sequences online and offline by doing JP,4,3~bubble,4,3~roundhouse,4,3~lightning 38%
Right after the lightning you'll have enough time to EX h20 boost uninterrupted then go ahead and cross up and do JP, 1,2,f4~1,2,f4 ,4,3~lightning, 4~geyser kick for 56%

It's possible to do it, but again, not very effective against high level players
that just about sums it up

Battyfaxmachine

Why bother reseting with Bubble?

I'm confused. What options do you have coming out of reset where you're at a specific advantage. I'm still confusing with the benefits of resetting a character instead of finishing a combo. Why, when you are pretty much GUARANTEE'D more damage, would you reset and allow yourself only a possibility of starting a new combo? Also, when the enemy is grounded, I can't quite figure out what's best to do... Throwing a bubble sucks, cause it's ALWAYS blocked and does 0 chip damage, and lightning is hard to time, but overall seems to be the better option...

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I usually lead with 2,4 after they hit the ground. If they block, I am +1 frame advantage and can usually then do the 4,3 RH cancel into more pressure. Basically resetting the opponent gives you the chance of being able to nail ANOTHER combo. Plus, it eliminates their wakeup game.

Battyfaxmachine

Ah that makes sense... However at the same time, EX RH beats EVERY wakeup attack in the entire game. So, has anyone weighed the pro's and cons for resetting/finishing? Extra dmg and a good chance that they might try to hit you on wakeup... or are high level players going to know NOT to wakeup against Rain?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Resetting removes wakeup attacks period. If they want to escape followup pressure, an armored attack is a must, which means spending 1 stock of meter. Yeah, on wakeup, you basically destroy any option they have with EXRH, but you're spending meter yourself to stop something that may not require any meter.

Battyfaxmachine

So, if they don't have 2 bars to breaker you, why wouldn't you set them up for wakeup attack and counter with EXRH for guarantee'd 30-35% dmg?

SyXX

Yolo is Power
I would say though that there are times where you want the extra damage though. Ending the match (obviously) and when playing characters with poor wakeup game.

Otherwise having a reset leaves you at a advantage and you can continue pressure. There is always something to be said about having complete control in a fight. Your opponent is much more predictable when you start removing their options.

Sent from my DROIDX

Battyfaxmachine

A.)
So your options on a reset are... and I'm more asking than stating.

Guarantee'd throw,
2,4 into RH
B1, 1+2/3 mixup
1,2, RH cancel-
3,4, RH cancel-
and crossover jip to any of these...

anything i'm missing?

B.) Also, instead of making a new thread I'll add it here... When juggling I noticed you can 1 dash cancel 1, about 4 times in succession before continuing my personal BnB combo (1,2,f4, >> 1,2,f4 >> 4,3 Lightning, RH, 4,3, Squirt), so it'd be 1,2,f4 >> 1, >> 1, >> 1, >> 1, >> 1,2,f4, Lightning, RH 4,3, Squirt. So my other question is, can you put block pressure by making quick as HELL 1 >> 1's? cause if you do it in combo it is LIGHTNING fast, and has practically no recovery, I think you can eventually mixup the pressure on a 1,1 into a Roundhouse as well, which makes it safe.

The main advantages on a reset are:

1. that it gives YOU the chance to take the next action. In other words, if you knock an opponent down, now you BOTH have a chance to do something next, which means that whoever makes the best "choice" wins. If you reset them with bubble, now you get a safe window to try whatever YOU want to do, meaning their next choice pretty much has to be "defend." That's much safer for you.

2. that it has the potential to add up to more total damage. Let's say, for example, that you have the opponent in a combo that adds up to 40% damage. Now, you can finish the combo for that 40%, or you can choose a reset option that stops it at 33% but opens up the chance that you'll get them BACK into the same combo via mixup on the reset. So if you're successful, that could potentially net you 33% (for the reset combo) + 40% after the successful mixup = 73%. Even in a poor mixup scenario where your odds of landing the mixup are 50/50 (generally they will be greater than this since your opponent doesn't know that you're going to reset him), that averages out to 53% over the long-term, which is a fair shake better than 40%. But more importantly, the sacrifice of 7% to try for the reset isn't likely to cost you a match nearly as often as landing a 73% assault is likely to win you one.

As someone else said, there are times you want to go for max guaranteed damage in a combo--especially if it will win you the match. But as I've demonstrated above, all things being equal, resets can often prove the superior strategic choice.

If you drop them right in front if you, you can pressure them with arguably one of rains best tools, his roundhouse cancels. I sometimes use a couple b23's and then b2 1+2 to his bnb. If you drop them fullscreen, you get a free lightning or if you have the meter, surprise them with enhanced teleport.

Battyfaxmachine

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, so as for my other part of the question. is the following true after a reset for options

Guarantee'd throw,
(possibly blocked strings)
2,4 into RH
B1, 1+2/3 mixup
1,2, RH cancel-
3,4, RH cancel-
and crossover jip to any of these...

Are those my best options?

Pagan

Noob
Rain has one of the strongest ground games imo. If you finish a combo with geyser kick you have enough time to teleport and dash in to start pressuring the opponent. Do an armored dash into 4,3 then either hit confirm into the bubble or roundhouse for more pressure. Once your opponent starts to block on wake up, you can start mixing in throws and tick throws. Rain's backthrow puts the opponent at perfect distance to continue pressure.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
The main advantages on a reset are:

1. that it gives YOU the chance to take the next action. In other words, if you knock an opponent down, now you BOTH have a chance to do something next, which means that whoever makes the best "choice" wins. If you reset them with bubble, now you get a safe window to try whatever YOU want to do, meaning their next choice pretty much has to be "defend." That's much safer for you.

2. that it has the potential to add up to more total damage. Let's say, for example, that you have the opponent in a combo that adds up to 40% damage. Now, you can finish the combo for that 40%, or you can choose a reset option that stops it at 33% but opens up the chance that you'll get them BACK into the same combo via mixup on the reset. So if you're successful, that could potentially net you 33% (for the reset combo) + 40% after the successful mixup = 73%. Even in a poor mixup scenario where your odds of landing the mixup are 50/50 (generally they will be greater than this since your opponent doesn't know that you're going to reset him), that averages out to 53% over the long-term, which is a fair shake better than 40%. But more importantly, the sacrifice of 7% to try for the reset isn't likely to cost you a match nearly as often as landing a 73% assault is likely to win you one.

As someone else said, there are times you want to go for max guaranteed damage in a combo--especially if it will win you the match. But as I've demonstrated above, all things being equal, resets can often prove the superior strategic choice.
Rain has one of the strongest ground games imo. If you finish a combo with geyser kick you have enough time to teleport and dash in to start pressuring the opponent. Do an armored dash into 4,3 then either hit confirm into the bubble or roundhouse for more pressure. Once your opponent starts to block on wake up, you can start mixing in throws and tick throws. Rain's backthrow puts the opponent at perfect distance to continue pressure.
^^^this

im all about the bubble and letting them drop to mind fuck them more

rain is one big mind f*** from cancels to resets - he's fun

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Hmm I have no idea what the Bubble reset is. I'm guessing you just end the combo with a bubble, but I had no idea that was a reset.

Rain Explanation plz

Hello Everyone im new to this forum and i really like it. I main Cyrax and now im trying to use Rain but having a hard time with it. I have some questions so if anyone can answer me it would be very nice. I'd like to know more about the RH canceling like how it work first I searched about it but found nothing. And second I saw a combo with the Water orb into an uppercut following by a combo how does it work ? I've saw CD jr rain and hes so awesome wish i could play like him.

TY

Kuai Liang

Tundra
The roundhouse cancel is done by holding 4 and dashing out of it. Say you 4,3 RH, you hold 4, then you can either dash out of it or hold it and punish the person if they try to hit you. I don't do the bubble into uppercut because you have to place the bubble behind you a certain way and I can never land it. But it works because the uppercut hits them high enough where you have enough time to recover and pick it up. You just got to practice.

Thx but as an example can i do 4,3 Rh Cancel into 4,3 and it will not stop my combo ? Or i must do the Enh RH to perform this ?

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Thx but as an example can i do 4,3 Rh Cancel into 4,3 and it will not stop my combo ? Or i must do the Enh RH to perform this ?
You have to ex roundhouse for that to work and I can't recommend doing that in an actual match. And I have no idea if it can be done on a 360 pad. Why don't you try it? I have a stick and I play on PS3.