What's new

The Argument Against Variation Lock

d3v

SRK
Agreed. I didnt mean to do things just to be dif... I just feel like variation could potentially change MUs to drastically therefore what has been working for other games/communities wont work for MKX.
Variations have changed match ups drastically in other games. Just look at the Arcana Heart example @haketh gave (which I will quote once again).
No one would play Cathy in tournament if you couldn't switch Arcana after a win & your opponent switched to Tyr Arcana.
Tyr Arcana is something of a hard counter for Cathy so most players using her will switch Arcana to something like Tempestas/Wind when their opponent tries to use Tyr to counter her.

Last edited:

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
This already happens in other fighting games with similar variation systems. Variations will always affect match ups and can act as a counter to a counter pick. These are however, still allowed in those games.
Are we really going to base MKX tournament rules off Melty Blood? Most likely those rules are carried over from the Japanese arcade scene. If we went by Japanese rules, we'd probably also have all tournaments be character lock throughout the entire tournament and every match would be a first to 1, and single elimination.

haketh

Noob
Are we really going to base MKX tournament rules off Melty Blood? Most likely those rules are carried over from the Japanese arcade scene. If we went by Japanese rules, we'd probably also have all tournaments be character lock throughout the entire tournament and every match would be a first to 1, and single elimination.
They carried over to the American scene & they ran with being able to change because it made sense. They did phase lock for a little while & it just wasn't enjoyable like letting Phase change happen, that's why Frenchbread left it in the game in the first place. And note the only touranments that are character lock usually in JP Tournaments are Team Tournaments or specific Qualifier style tournaments like SBO/Arc Revo/Gods Garden. Melty tournaments are not character lock & it's a 50/50 for whether their double elim or single. Only smaller Melty tournaments were Single Elim.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
All I know is that I Do Not want to see stomps like Kenshi Vs Jade or sub zero. If that means we must be able to switch variations after a game then so be it. You all are fools if you think NRS will continue to balance this game after 6 months.

This must be the standard or MKX will last less than 2 years top without this rule from the get go