What's new

ten characters better than johnny cage.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
But then JC is at +5 and you have to block another string :S
idk there's a little separation and it allows me to break free and get atleast a d1 out and move. I use sindel and this is all I have when cage is up close lolol when I have 2 bars of meter I let him combo me so I can break and then get away for the zoning.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I don't understand why people can't fathom this at this stage in the game....throw out the top 5 BS please because it's practically irreverent in retrospect.

MK9 IS ALL ABOUT MUS AND COUNTERPICKS. If Cage becomes a dominating character, people will pick up Noob, Kenshi, SZ, Reptile, Kabal etc. All the characters that give HIM a royal pain in the ass. Character loyalty is moronic in this game, absolutely idiotic. What top player plays one character? Nobody. REO doesn't, Pig doesn't, CD Jr doesn't, Maxter doesn't, etc etc etc. Tyrant did not do well, why? Because he faced multiple Cage players and stuck with Jax while CD Jr went with Smoke.

Zwooosh

Worst Lao Ever.
These threads are being made like the characters are going to be nerfed after every major. Every character has some sort of bullshit in this game, apart from jade. Abuse what you find and move on.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Let me quote Sun Tzu (or something along the lines of this).

Let us say we have 3 horses. One very fast, one fast and one slow. A strategic player can guarantee an win by reading his opponents move. I will explain but first let me ask you the question and see if you can figure this out.

First, how would you play your 3 horses? Most people will put their very fast horse and expect a win because it is their best and so on. However, by using such a simple strategy as I will explain below you can see how MK may evolve into more of a strategic play while being at tournaments by using counter picks to secure wins and control the flow of your matches.

SPOILER: The answer to the above is quite simple. Play your slowest horse first and loose against his very fast horse. Next play your very fast horse against his fast horse and your fast horse against his slow. You win two.

I believe a loyal MK fighter will try to stick to 1 character for an entire tournament. A wise player on the other hand will level a repertoire of fighters. This can be viewed as a card game in a sense where you are playing your cards (fighters) wisely to secure wins.

Some may think it's just counter picking but really it's smart play.

I on the other hand, just play SUB =)

But I play Baraka online to spin all those noob as Kung Laos lol. Baraka wrecks noobs online... and in the corner they don't know wtf is going on hahaha
Heh nice post m8 :). But the point is why should i go and counterpick since i know my character has the tools to win all his matches, good and bad, if he is played correctly ? It doesnt make sense. Thats why i said what i said. I don't mind ppl counter-picking but i dont support it either. About the horses saying i can just not show him all of my strategies and mixups if i dont want to be exposed from my 1st match. I ve done it with Ermac many times and it worked really well so far. The only reason i m saying all that is because i play a character which is extremely underrated but at the same time a very well versed character against all of his MU's.

cosmic eclipse

Khaotic clan
Cage isn't a top 5, that's ridiculous. Cage is a fantastic counter-pick against some of the top characters however. Cage/Jax MU favors Cage, this is why REO's been using him against CD Jr. Jax/Kabal favors Jax due to Jax's tiny hitbox. Cage is a fantastic pocket character, but you're not going to get through an entire TO with him. Dizzy will agree with this I'm sure.
the last ttt was won w cage

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
This isn't the first month anymore. It's even.
At worst case this is like 5.5 in reptiles favor. It may be even though. does reptile have anything to get out of cages pressure besides elbow dash? If not then def even. Idk its a mu that I dont really get to play.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Fifty characters better than Kabal:

1. Vanilla MK3 Kabal
2. MKT Noob Saibot
3. Goro
4. MK1 Sonya
5. ST Old Sagat
6. Tekken 4 Jin
7. Third Strike Chun-Li
8. MK9 1.0 Kung Lao
9. Tekken 3 Eddie Gordo
10. Omega Rugal
11. KoF98 Krauser
12. SCII Kilik
13. SCIII CPU-Controlled Setsuka
14. Gill
15. Shao Kahn
16. The Dude with a gun in the Bushido Blade games
17. The other dude with a gun in Samurai Shodown Sen
18. MvC2 Cable
19. Vanilla MvC3 Wolverine
20. Gold Johnny
21. Krizalid
22. Third Strike Yun
23. SF4AE Yun
24. CvS2 Blanka
25. Igniz
26. Zankuro
27. All of the broken crap characters in MUGEN
28. MvC1 Wolverine
29. XMenVsSF Cyclops
30. MSH Dr. Doom
31. Gold Sol-Badguy
32. Unlimited Mu-12
33. Goenitz
34. MKD Dairou
35. MK4 Tanya
36. Green Lantern
37. Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl
38. Shin Akuma
39. Motaro
40. Jon "Bones" Jones
41. SF1 Sagat
42. The Flash
43. Meta Knight
44. Tekken 5 Heihachi
45. GGX2 Eddie
46. Vanilla KoFXIII K'
47. SCIV Hilde
48. MvC2 Magneto
49. The Giant Ape Characters in DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3
50. HCTP Brock Lesnar

Fifty characters better than Kabal:

1. Vanilla MK3 Kabal
2. MKT Noob Saibot
3. Goro
4. MK1 Sonya
5. ST Old Sagat
6. Tekken 4 Jin
7. Third Strike Chun-Li
8. MK9 1.0 Kung Lao
9. Tekken 3 Eddie Gordo
10. Omega Rugal
11. KoF98 Krauser
12. SCII Kilik
13. SCIII CPU-Controlled Setsuka
14. Gill
15. Shao Kahn
16. The Dude with a gun in the Bushido Blade games
17. The other dude with a gun in Samurai Shodown Sen
18. MvC2 Cable
19. Vanilla MvC3 Wolverine
20. Gold Johnny
21. Krizalid
22. Third Strike Yun
23. SF4AE Yun
24. CvS2 Blanka
25. Igniz
26. Zankuro
27. All of the broken crap characters in MUGEN
28. MvC1 Wolverine
29. XMenVsSF Cyclops
30. MSH Dr. Doom
31. Gold Sol-Badguy
32. Unlimited Mu-12
33. Goenitz
34. MKD Dairou
35. MK4 Tanya
36. Green Lantern
37. Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl
38. Shin Akuma
39. Motaro
40. Jon "Bones" Jones
41. SF1 Sagat
42. The Flash
43. Meta Knight
44. Tekken 5 Heihachi
45. GGX2 Eddie
46. Vanilla KoFXIII K'
47. SCIV Hilde
48. MvC2 Magneto
49. The Giant Ape Characters in DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3
50. HCTP Brock Lesnar

You Forgot SC2 Xiangua, Melee Fox, and Boba Fett.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
You forgot that broken character from the power rangers game. Cant remember his name though. Ooze something.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I'm not salty. I didn't lose to Cage. I lost to Maxter and Curb because they are better than me. I have been saying for the longest time that Cage was top 5. There is a lot of Cage players out there who think their character is trash and bottom 15. Cage does not lose to Sub-Zero! Thats the biggest myth in this game. Cage does not lose to characters that are good zoning or have IAS/IAF projectiles.

I'm not saying im right im just voicing my opinion on Cage. I don't lose to Cage. I lose to players better than me that are using Cage. I actually like fighting and beat most Cages but their better.

I actually use Cage as a pocket character and that was my only character that actually gives Curbo a challenge in our matches. But with that said, to win with cage is very hard to do at high level because of the players reaction/reads/hit-confirming skills. Why do you think there so many average cages out there and only a select few who are elite. Its the player not the character. I think Cage played at the highest level is a top 5 character.

FYI, I'm perfectly fine losing to Maxter and Curb and not saying I only lost cuz Cage is top 5. I dont ever say excuses like some other people saying controllers, tvs, ps3 pad etc etc. I dont have a big ego like a lot of people in this community and I'm perfectly fine losing to better players. I just have to level up.
look death i understand one thing, and that is that cage is not top 5 imo no matter how you put it, you can say that any character played at the highest level they are top 5, lets see when mr mileena busts out that sindel at texas showdown how many sindel top tier complaints we get. i had you in my top 8 for mlg and i had know idea you thought curbo was better than you. but this game is still match up oriented, two evenly matched players will play different character and the one who has a 6-4 match up will usually win. and you have the right to you opinion so i guess we agree to disagree?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
look death i understand one thing, and that is that cage is not top 5 imo no matter how you put it, you can say that any character played at the highest level they are top 5, lets see when mr mileena busts out that sindel at texas showdown how many sindel top tier complaints we get. i had you in my top 8 for mlg and i had know idea you thought curbo was better than you. but this game is still match up oriented, two evenly matched players will play different character and the one who has a 6-4 match up will usually win. and you have the right to you opinion so i guess we agree to disagree?
who is to say a MU is 6-4 at this point?

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
At worst case this is like 5.5 in reptiles favor. It may be even though. does reptile have anything to get out of cages pressure besides elbow dash? If not then def even. Idk its a mu that I dont really get to play.
armor on his ex slide, his forceball and spit are good to keep him out, you get caught once with a forceball from reptile and you eat bnb. dash interupts cages pressure is my biggest thing. there is know way its even, to thtb it was a 7-3 match up first month, i didnt even play this game first month, you have to admit reptile has a slight advantage to good reptiles.

Garasky

Noob
okay so this is getting ridiculous about cage. apparently cage is broken after mlg and is now top 5.......:rolleyes:? seriously i saw so many, cage is OP comments and legit players like Big D saying he is broken. cage top 5??? HA!!!!!!!!!! its funny that cage finally gets the credit he deserves, he loves all that hate. DON'T HATE!! anyway here is ten characters that are better than johnny cage, and five more that IMO are better or are toss ups.
no particular order
1.kabal
2. kitana
3.jax
4.cyrax
5.sonya
6.freddy
7.kenshi
8.kung lao
9. raiden
10.smoke
please argue with me, i want to see any one fit johnny cage in this list, now am not saying match up wise, am saying characters that are better, obviously he beats jax 9-1 (lmao) and kung lao but here are 5 toss ups to being better than cage

11.reptile
12.sektor
13.ermac
14.mileena
15. lui kang
you can even make an arguement for nightwolf since he has great anti zoning and godlike pokes and footsies game. but there is no denying the top ten guys/girls. let me know where you think johnny cage fits on the top 15. and before you post saying he's broken and frame traps this and that, let me just let you know that you are so mind fucked from losing to cage that he makes it seem like he is frame trapping you, he only has 3 moves on block were he is at advantage, but your so scared to eat his f3 that you sit there and take chip and cry. :cool:

DON'T HATE
Arrgh I really wanted to play your Cage that day but the connection was horrible :(

Altaire

Noob
Ten characters better than Jax:

Sub Zero
Nightwolf
Jade
Sheeva
Baraka
Cage
Goro
Sindel
Freddy
Ryu

Look how good I am at making lists you guys! Here, have some more characters!

Sonya
Kung Lao
Raiden
Kabal
Kitana

IM ON A ROLL, NO ONE CAN STOP ME
HOLY FUCK I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.

you can even make an arguement for nightwolf since he has great anti zoning and godlike pokes and footsies game.
You lost all credibility right here, by the way. Better luck next time.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
The thing with Kl is, hes kind of a bully against the lower tier characters but he loses to the tops like cage, sektor(worst matchup imo), sonya, kitana, jax. His game revolves around a lot of chip like cage and building meter. but his strings just whiff against low hitbox characters and the teleport is hardly any use against low hitbox characters, so he cant really get his offense started without taking huge risks and his damage output from the risky spins isnt as much as all the other characters. next to that his pokes are mediocre, d1 is 7 frames and he has a 9 frame d3.

This character excels in gettin in but suffers when his rushdown gets beat(jax,sonya,cage, kitana). A lot of people still arent using their low hitboxes to the fullest potential. Just look at detroit against riu, he couldnt get any pressure started because his string whiffs halfway on sonya, which is a free uppercut.

Edit: the nerfs didnt really change the problems he already had. the biggest differnce is the low hat, which was pretty useful against low hitbox characters. but abusing the low hat from point blank is just putting yourself at disadvantage when blocked against the same characters that can blow kl up when they are in your face(sonya, sektor, cage, kitana etc)
I'd happily put my KL against any Cage out there and win. Cage has to play to KLs rules. He may have an avaergae 7 frame D1, but he has an above average standing 2 that is 7 frames, 2 1 is neutral in block or you can do 2 4 which is still only -1 on block.

You talk alot about people using KL wrong, but make no mention of his insane ability to get rushdown characters off him.

KL v Jax - He can duck Jaxs F4 and spin/21, major issue for Jax
KL v Cage - The threat of the spin makes a Cage player hesitant, but the spin never has to come out since his standin 2 is 7 frames and can be confirmed into
KL vs Sonya - Since when was this supposed to be bad for KL? He can interupt her strings for a full combo, she can only interupt his with an uppercut, her MS attacks can be spun out of too.
KL v Sektor - Read KL vs Sonya.

Low hitbox characters really arent that much of a problem for KL because hes got such good mobility it opens up alot of opportunities for jumps. Its not so easy to AA him because there is a sweet spot where it becomes ambiguous if he's gonna divekick away or jump in for a JIP/JK.

Wanna know why people think Cage is top 5? Think about the players that use him, and have been seen by the community using him, as well as having success using him:

- REO
- Maxter
- Curb
- Dizzy
- Myself

Espio

Kokomo
Character loyalty isn't dumb though and counterpicking doesn't guarantee a win either, especially if you're fighting someone who outplays your main.

Character loyalty isn't dumb, neither is counterpicking. It's a different approach is all.

poopingelephant

borderline pro ;)
Character loyalty isn't dumb though and counterpicking doesn't guarantee a win either, especially if you're fighting someone who outplays your main.

Character loyalty isn't dumb, neither is counterpicking. It's a different approach is all.
all a counterpick will do is make one person have to work harder but if the person being counterpicked is truely better he/she will win most of the time unless the other person gets lucky enough

Death

Noob
noob upshadow and freddy nms? and best zoners that make cage work hard -= bad matchup. kit and cyrax beat him 5.5, kabal 6-4 kenshi 6-4, 5-5 smoke. sonya is imo 5.5 -4.5 but you can gt 5-5. but ex cart wheel and the second best rushdown in the game adnd can out zone him, catch him with a dive kick for 40% yeah i think 5.5

dude the days of "if a character is good at zoning" are over. Maybe Kenshi is the only one that can zone him and keep him out but thats because kenshi is another ridiculous character that has safe armor and adv on block etc. If your not having success as Cage I just think you have to level up man. I gotta level up too obviously lol. Every1 just has to level up. Cage has the tools and the footsies to be in the top 5. Him having all these bad MUs is really myth. I really dont see Ice clone stopping him or someone like kitana who has an IAF. Those days are over.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Let me quote Sun Tzu (or something along the lines of this).

Let us say we have 3 horses. One very fast, one fast and one slow. A strategic player can guarantee an win by reading his opponents move. I will explain but first let me ask you the question and see if you can figure this out.

First, how would you play your 3 horses? Most people will put their very fast horse and expect a win because it is their best and so on. However, by using such a simple strategy as I will explain below you can see how MK may evolve into more of a strategic play while being at tournaments by using counter picks to secure wins and control the flow of your matches.

SPOILER: The answer to the above is quite simple. Play your slowest horse first and loose against his very fast horse. Next play your very fast horse against his fast horse and your fast horse against his slow. You win two.

I believe a loyal MK fighter will try to stick to 1 character for an entire tournament. A wise player on the other hand will level a repertoire of fighters. This can be viewed as a card game in a sense where you are playing your cards (fighters) wisely to secure wins.

Some may think it's just counter picking but really it's smart play.

I on the other hand, just play SUB =)

But I play Baraka online to spin all those noob as Kung Laos lol. Baraka wrecks noobs online... and in the corner they don't know wtf is going on hahaha
This explains counterpicking PERFECTLY.