What's new

Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Well hopefully his defense can establish that "lol jk" corroborates with Justin's plea by providing context.
Best bet is just trying to establish that he has no criminal past and that time served while awaiting trial is just punishment as nothing of substance was found.
He would probably get away with community service and/or probation..

If prisons get a bigger budget then schools, then you have to start thinking there is something seriously wrong with the system.
If ppl who run prisons get funds for having prisoners, thats just wrong.
Why you think so many ppl get prisontime for just possesion of weed. They even have undercover agents in school being young woman who seduce them to get them to sell weed. Thats just crazy lol
That is a very very small tip of a very very large iceberg...
State/city funding ,police funding, are all influinced by prisons...and it is the biggest reason things like drugs are illegal when by all means are not the gov's job to regulate...
Prisoners are "transfered" ie sold state to state for cheap labor...
Major companies have prisons do small things like mail sorting or machine repairs and use them as "workers" for tax loop holes...
The truth is very disturbing and large groups of people are targeted for this to make tons of $...

Sent under duress.

Goldi

Noob
Not even the slightest bit right. You have to legally prove everything you're implying in your statement warrants "intent to commit terrorism". Just because a person says something dumb and in poor taste doesn't mean you get to violate their constitutional rights and incarcerate them. It's not even a matter of opinion.
Let's start at the beginning.. I'm exactly right because all I did was state the obvious. You're looking for the phrase, "you aren't showing as much sympathy as I want you to." Common mistake.

I also don't "get to do" anything at all. I'm as bleeding heart as they come, and if I ran the world I would have sentenced him to counseling and probation because he strikes me as an unstable person in need of help and monitoring. But sadly I do not. The people who do are just making an example out of him. One that a healthy person could have easily avoided becoming.

Example, if I were called insane and wanted to joke, it would go something like "of course I am, I've had to deal with you jerks for 2 years! Lol! J/k!" Do you see the difference between that and the graphic, disturbing things he said? And do you really think it was one sentence, one instance? It is more likely an online community became concerned about the behavior of one of it's members over time and several examples.

There are unstable people on the Internet. Who knew..

Saint Op Omen

No one can even prove that he wrote what is written under his account. Don't know if the terms of service make him responsible for whatever is on his account, but even if it did, it's only there to absolve league of legends from any connection to bad content. I don't see how a prosecutor can prove that he typed that. Someone typed it, but not necessarily this kid.
If they went with that from the start that would be a possible good defense but it looks like through his and his fathers comments the negated that by going foward defending the comment as his and him as ignorant...but yes "I was hacked" is always worth a try..

Sent under duress.

tazzmission

Banned
No one can even prove that he wrote what is written under his account. Don't know if the terms of service make him responsible for whatever is on his account, but even if it did, it's only there to absolve league of legends from any connection to bad content. I don't see how a prosecutor can prove that he typed that. Someone typed it, but not necessarily this kid.

see the issue with that is the prosicution can prove it was a lie wich in the end makes the parents look bad

despite the outcome of this mess i give the father credit for being upfront because it couldve been way worse if he lied and said oh it wasnt him on the account

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
But they can use key stroke analysis to see what mental state he was in when he wrote it and can match it up to see if he has psychopathic tendencies.

tazzmission

Banned
But they can use key stroke analysis to see what mental state he was in when he wrote it and can match it up to see if he has psychopathic tendencies.

people are over looking that what if his name was on the online account?

i mean i highly doubt his parents game at all or even go on facebook

Saint Op Omen

people are over looking that what if his name was on the online account?

i mean i highly doubt his parents game at all or even go on facebook
You seem to be overlooking the fact that this may have been a evil cat or rogue plastic hand...he also may have been under the influance of a demonic sock...

Sent under duress.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
You seem to be overlooking the fact that this may have been a evil cat or rogue plastic hand...he also may have been under the influance of a demonic sock...

Sent under duress.
Like The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre.... Yeah bro. This is real.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Let's start at the beginning.. I'm exactly right because all I did was state the obvious. You're looking for the phrase, "you aren't showing as much sympathy as I want you to." Common mistake.

I also don't "get to do" anything at all. I'm as bleeding heart as they come, and if I ran the world I would have sentenced him to counseling and probation because he strikes me as an unstable person in need of help and monitoring. But sadly I do not. The people who do are just making an example out of him. One that a healthy person could have easily avoided becoming.

Example, if I were called insane and wanted to joke, it would go something like "of course I am, I've had to deal with you jerks for 2 years! Lol! J/k!" Do you see the difference between that and the graphic, disturbing things he said? And do you really think it was one sentence, one instance? It is more likely an online community became concerned about the behavior of one of it's members over time and several examples.

There are unstable people on the Internet. Who knew..
I'm not looking for anything. Merely pointing out that you're inferring a lot based on your own speculation in what you've decided is a sign of instability without any precedent beyond "what he said was graphic and disturbing". You're missing the obvious sarcastic context completely. Also if you've read the article, his response was a Facebook message so again you're just speculating about there being some " long history of concerning behavior." I'll agree that he's being made an example out of however and it's symptomatic of a larger problem with Terroristic Laws and their application.

Why is it that a stand-up comic can say ridiculously "graphic and offensive" things during a performance and walk-off the stage and go about his life BUT when a kid makes a shitty joke (again in poor taste) over the internet it's Terrorism?

Saint Op Omen

I'm not looking for anything. Merely pointing out that you're inferring a lot based on your own speculation in what you've decided is a sign of instability without any precedent beyond "what he said was graphic and disturbing". You're missing the obvious sarcastic context completely. Also if you've read the article, his response was a Facebook message so again you're just speculating about there being some " long history of concerning behavior." I'll agree that he's being made an example out of however and it's symptomatic of a larger problem with Terroristic Laws and their application.

Why is it that a stand-up comic can say ridiculously "graphic and offensive" things during a performance and walk-off the stage and go about his life BUT when a kid makes a shitty joke (again in poor taste) over the internet it's Terrorism?
It is the way it is...an act or performace is a different thing then a personal and direct statement...different states do have different laws about this though and there has been proformers that got in major trouble for certain things...in other countries you can be put to death for comedy...but yeah shits crazy...
Sarcasm is not recognised by the law...everything looks the same written out ...

Sent under duress.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
It is the way it is...an act or performace is a different thing then a personal and direct statement...different states do have different laws about this though and there has been proformers that got in major trouble for certain things...in other countries you can be put to death for comedy...but yeah shits crazy...
Sarcasm is not recognised by the law...everything looks the same written out ...

Sent under duress.
I was making a point about context but apparently I need to elaborate more. A Comedy club establishes a very tangible context that "what's being said is for entertainment and isn't to be taken as literal."

An isolated internet conversation that went:

Person 1: "Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head."

Justin: "Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts. lol j/k"

...has the exact same context.

Please keep in mind that this kid has been in jail since March and faces 8 FUCKING YEARS of imprisonment for the aformentioned sentence.

Saint Op Omen

I was making point about context but apparently I need to elaborate more. A Comedy club establishes a very tangible context that "what's being said is for entertainment and isn't to be taken a s literal."

An isolated internet conversation that went:

Person 1: "Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head."

Justin: :Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts. lol j/k"

...has the exact same context.
Yeah laws is laws...
Screwed up thing is if he said something that did not involve a pubilc building and a group of people and instead said you and everyone in your home...nothing could be done to him about it...
Also if someone said the same thing in a song...no issue...if you then sung said song in public and were overheard ...problem..

Sent under duress.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Yeah laws is laws...
Screwed up thing is if he said something that did not involve a pubilc building and a group of people and instead said you and everyone in your home...nothing could be done to him about it...
Also if someone said the same thing in a song...no issue...if you then sung said song in public and were overheard ...problem..

Sent under duress.
Man don't give me "laws is laws" like it's something ethereal, infallible, and justifies what happened. Jim Crow segregation laws were legal and in the books at some point too.

Saint Op Omen

Man don't give me "laws is laws" like it's something ethereal, infallible, and justifies what happened. Jim Crow segregation laws were legal and in the books at some point too.
Right and at this point those are the laws correct?
I did not say I agree I was answering why he got in trouble and a comic does not...
The law in my county says I can't ride a horse backwards....laws is laws says nothing about how viable, enforcable or justifiable they are..
If fact many laws are only laws until they go to a judge.

Sent under duress.

tazzmission

Banned
i think this gos well with the thread

this was in 2009 and if you watch this and look at the story in the ot this is not a good sign

jailing people who are deemed as a threat with no form of evidence

keep in mind msnbc is a 100% liberal station

REYTHEGREAT

This is sad. I will share this story on Facebook and hopefully it will keep passing a long. But I really don't think he will be convicted for the 8 years. A good lawyer can fight this easy. But I'm surprised he is locked up now. Is crazy he's facing 8 years for saying a joke online and there's other real criminal out there who don't even get 8 years. The court system is so messed up.

Saint Op Omen

Guys, it's to prevent TERRORISM! Just like with Edward Snowden, the traitor. People like this must be punished without hesitation - FOR MURICA!
Are you sarcasticly and openly showing suport for a traitor and a terrorist?
Where was that HLS # again...:p

Sent under duress.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Welcome to the New World Order. Yes, it does exsist and yes it's coming to a free society near you.

tazzmission

Banned

No, i'm not sarcastic. Unless sarcasm means wanting the best for your country, then it is correct! Obama will get this traitor and prove that nobody messes with Murica.

did you watch the video on obama i posted? it was from msnbc in 2009 or 2010

msnbc is very liberal and madow even stated what obama spoke about was in fact radical

he wants to inprison people for crimes they havent even commited yet.

and that is dangerous

i dont care what side of the political isle your on but that is straight up insane.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I once got banned from WoW for doing something similar but appealed and then got unbanned.

8 years? That's a tad harsh.