What's new

Talk to me about pocket picks

Goldi

Noob
So much fuss about Kenshi. So many new MK events this year! I'm excited and rightfully nervous as this handicaple bastard is more popular than ever lately lol.

I main Jade and Baraka... Two characters who get flat out raped by Kenshi. I'm not so concerned with tier lists (obviously) I'm just looking for a pocket character to cover this match up.

Given I don't have much time before I've got spirt people in my face again, I should probably focus on someone I already know the basics for. I've browsed every match up chart for weeks, and while Smoke looks more and more attractive, he's still a complete stranger and I am not sure if we're "clicking". So I'd like to focus on someone I'm already out of the button mashing phase with.

If you play me long enough, I'll start bringing out a few of these characters for variety. I'm familiar with their moves and play style, but they need work. Some more than others.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Sonya; she was actually my day one main and I dropped her for Jade shortly after the last patch. Yea, I ask myself why too lol. I think I just intensely dislike being zoned. I still bring her out on occasion. But she's become a rusty, pokey mess. I've been told she would be decent if I ever learned a combo.
Against Kenshi, most people say she goes 6-4. Way better than Jade, and I clearly don't mind a few difficult fights.

Mileena; A favorite for online. She gets handled when I try to play her off though. I've got some nasty habits of doing unsafe and straight up stupid stuff with her. Addiction to wake ups doesn't help. But with some work, I know I could play smarter.
She's usually given 7-3 odds against Kenshi.

Quan Chi; I picked him up when I was seduced by Mayo's voice, erm, video guides. He quickly became my favorite character to troll with. But I've got easy access to the best Quans in the community to help me straighten him out.
Usually called something like 7-3 against Kenshi but still better than Jade.

Scorpion; Another character I started playing mostly just to troll. I'm also a big fan of his mix ups. I still know very little about him, but with hellfire able to keep much of the cast from zoning him, he might be a good fit for me if I put in the practice.
He goes something like 6-4 it looks like. Could definitely be annoying with enough work.

I'm not confident enough with any of these characters to take them out at a tournament. Yet. But I'm only trying to learn one match up. None of them actually win the match up, but I like their chances over Jade and Baraka. Note, I called them pocket characters and not actual counter picks.

For a real counter pick, I would have to learn someone completely brand new and unfamiliar to me..... Smoke, Skarlet and Kenshi himself are tempting, but not so easy to learn. I admit I've even tried and given up on Skarlet a few times. I would need someone who mains one of them willing to train me. I know next to nothing about how to play them.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Most of the top tier characters do well against Kenshi. Kabal and Lao obviously. But also Smoke, Reptile, Freddy, Cyrax. A couple of lower tier ones are decent too. A steady Noob can give him trouble. And a well controlled Raiden with good reads on teleport can do well. Unfortunately the lower half of the cast doesn't stand a chance. How's your Noob?

Death

Noob
Jade and Baraka? Ouch lol

I'd learn kenshi. He's probably the easiest character to learn and win with. Before your match starts you already have a 7-3 adv most likely.

Brownie

Stay Wet <3
Smoke is super fun to use, but you really have to put in the time with him. If you wanna get serious about the counter pick just pick up Lao. He beats Kenshi pretty bad.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
A lot of people believe scorpion goes even with kenshi, and he is not that difficult to use. I wouldn't suggest sonya because it certainly is not one of her matches where she can d4ms all day; she isn't as braindead as normal in that matchup. I say scorpion.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'd say your best chance would be to go FOR THE SHAOLIN and pick Kung Lao.

But if you're set on the characters you listed... Smoke or Scorpion.

Might try asking Pig Of The Hut who he thinks would be best out of those characters...

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I think your best bet here is Scorpion. Kenshi's full screen zoning leaves a lot to be desired as is, against Scorpion it is even riskier due to teleport and hellfire, not to mention EN Spear. While Kenshi's offense is very very good, Scorpion would rather a character come to him: there's more risk involved, especially since he can armor through f32, one of Kenshi's better advancing strings. As a plus, he's not difficult to play at all.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Skarlet is one of his bad MU being 5-5 at the best or even 6-4 depending of how well you can handle the MU, maybe you should reconsider in overcoming the execution pain you feel when you try her.

Goldi

Noob
My Noob is.... Well, he shows up sometimes on random select lol. I've never really tried him. I'm not so good at zoning. I favor a counter heavy play style.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
My Noob is.... Well, he shows up sometimes on random select lol. I've never really tried him. I'm not so good at zoning. I favor a counter heavy play style.
Pick up Smoke. If you want to learn him I can help and we can chat about it on Skype or something. Ribbz22

I would honestly go back to Sonya though if you want an easy character to pick up. I picked her up in the last month and all of her stuff is pretty easy to do...

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
You favor a counter heavy play-style and want someone who isn't raped by kenshi? I'd say go Raiden, he's pretty fun i.m.o.

Lulzlou

Noob
<--
I don't think he's a hard character to learn, If my 10 year old brother can go kaballin with him anyone can.
Go ahead and have a pocket kabal for Pig or Blackula's Kenshi.
The match up isn't as bad as every one thinks. A pocket kabal will never beat a top level kenshi.

edit; and goldfish, this game wont die any time soon so picking up a new character wouldn't be a bad idea. The problem is the amount of free time you have to practice. Not worth it if you don't have the time

SZSR

Noob
Definitely recommend Smoke, while you won't be dominating Kenshis like Pig, he gives Kenshis a headache and we got plenty of guys in the Smoke forum willing to give you tips.

(Also, it's a bit of a bro-fest in the Smoke forums, please help us balance this out)