What's new

Switching mains?...

leek

Noob
I don't know. I'm feeling like Cage is getting stale to me. I'm not patient enough to with the zoning matchups like Kitana. People get out of my strings and I get frustrated and shadow kick only to knock them out and away.

With Nightwolf, I'm really not too great with him. I drop combos constantly and negative edge ends them too often for me with 122 into choke instead of hatchet. I usually get reduced to F+31 and not reading my opponent correctly, hatchet on block/I hit and no hatchet. Just can't be having that.

I play around with a lot of other characters - notably Scorpion, Sub, Smoke, Noob(love my ninjas.), Raiden, Mileena, Shang, Cyber Sub, Ermac, Liu Kang and Baraka. Kind of a lot, But it's really only knowing a bnb or two and how the general playstyle is. Not like mastery or anything, I'm not some pro.

But I'm just looking for like some feedback on what I should do here. Should I pick one character a week and learn them one by one? Should I try to focus more on a specific character? Just hitting a block here and I don't know how to stay into MK right now.

Well...Given the info you have in that post, i'd say look for a character who you love everything about.

-Playstyle(rushdown, zoning)
-Type of moves(unblockables, teleports, mixups)
-Story(ex. scorpion was resurrected by quan chi to kill sub-zero)
and
-Character(their outfit, their color, stuff like that)

The story and character categories are just so you don't lose interest in the character.
Make a list of all the character that fit you and see which shoe fits.

These are just my thoughts. :)
Best of luck to ya man!
~Hound.

Liu Kang is a very good rushdown character with great mix-ups and a parry, can zone with IAFB/LowFireBall.

Only his ExBycicleKick and such on wake-up are very punishable. and wake-up parry you'll get hit out of alot.

Noob is a very solid character and once you master his resets you'll love him.

Shang, is a zoner but up close he can set up some frame traps by ending every blocked string with Up Fireball.

And Ermac has a really nice style, but TKS/TP are very punishable on block.

In my opinion you should try out Liu Kang, Ermac, Sub, Noob and Reptile.
i'm also looking to switch mains,

But also, what's the problem exactly with JC? Flipkick is mostly safe, or do you mean that they block your EXFB?

I play JC myself, and if i've got 3 bars and i know it'll kill him, it's just F33EXFB F33EXFB F33EXFB 22Throw.

leek

Noob
Well...Given the info you have in that post, i'd say look for a character who you love everything about.

-Playstyle(rushdown, zoning)
-Type of moves(unblockables, teleports, mixups)
-Story(ex. scorpion was resurrected by quan chi to kill sub-zero)
and
-Character(their outfit, their color, stuff like that)

The story and character categories are just so you don't lose interest in the character.
Make a list of all the character that fit you and see which shoe fits.

These are just my thoughts. :)
Best of luck to ya man!
~Hound.
Thanks man. I love Cage honestly but it's just getting to be a stale, uphill battle for me. I'm not usually an aggressive player in fighting games but I picked him up because of less depth to him.. but I'm paying for it now lol. thanks again

BTW we should play some matches some time, my man.

leek

Noob
Liu Kang is a very good rushdown character with great mix-ups and a parry, can zone with IAFB/LowFireBall.

Only his ExBycicleKick and such on wake-up are very punishable. and wake-up parry you'll get hit out of alot.

Noob is a very solid character and once you master his resets you'll love him.

Shang, is a zoner but up close he can set up some frame traps by ending every blocked string with Up Fireball.

And Ermac has a really nice style, but TKS/TP are very punishable on block.

In my opinion you should try out Liu Kang, Ermac, Sub, Noob and Reptile.
i'm also looking to switch mains,

But also, what's the problem exactly with JC? Flipkick is mostly safe, or do you mean that they block your EXFB?

I play JC myself, and if i've got 3 bars and i know it'll kill him, it's just F33EXFB F33EXFB F33EXFB 22Throw.
Oh nothing's wrong with Cage, it's me. I'm not complaining about any character, I'm just bored of the gameplay with him.. nothing feels like success when I win with Cage. No satisfying wins = not having fun :/

and yeah I know about what these characters are about, I can do noobs resets, shang might be my character since I know a bnb with almost 20 characters.. Ermac is alright, not sure about him though. And as for Reptile.. I get bored with him. I used to play him a bit and I just couldn't stand em. thanks

Yea, that's why i want to switch mains, because i get bored of Reptile.

ElbowDashing/321AcidHand/ForceBalls is all it is...

Now i'm enjoying Cage, but don't know how to change my playstyle when my oppenent low-blocks my EXFB....

Also Like Ermac, Liu Kang And Sub.

leek

Noob
Yea, that's why i want to switch mains, because i get bored of Reptile.

ElbowDashing/321AcidHand/ForceBalls is all it is...

Now i'm enjoying Cage, but don't know how to change my playstyle when my oppenent low-blocks my EXFB....

Also Like Ermac, Liu Kang And Sub.
Don't know man. I honestly would main Kung Lao if he was lower tier. LOL. Just because when you main KL people think you're tier whoring/5 minute kung lao.

I love Shaolin shit. I love martial arts, and he has the fighting style most influenced by it(visually, of course.)

Don't know though. I might even pick up Skarlett for shock factor or something. I don't know xD

EDIT: Maybe baraka too. I really don't even know how he plays honestly though.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
I recommend Raiden, Cyrax, CSZ, Kung Lao, Sheeva, Quan Chi, Sonya, Kano, or Kitana: basically someone with a no-spin teleport (Sheeva and Quan Chi can aim their teleports) or someone with good air mobility in general (Kano just needs up-ball into down-ball). This should help with your zoning problem ;)

leek

Noob
I recommend Raiden, Cyrax, CSZ, Kung Lao, Sheeva, Quan Chi, Sonya, Kano, or Kitana: basically someone with a no-spin teleport (Sheeva and Quan Chi can aim their teleports) or someone with good air mobility in general (Kano just needs up-ball into down-ball). This should help with your zoning problem ;)
Raiden I play a bit with and I like him, but I know I couldn't do much with him at high level. Cryax is interesting.. I may pick him up because of his creativeness with combos and the sort. THE definitive juggle master of MK9 in my opinion. Cyber sub I've played around with and I can't stand his low pokes, bomb ineffectiveness and everything else that's being whined about lol. I like him as a character but I can't play with him. Kung Lao .. refer to earlier post ^^^

Sheeva is a no go. I hate how she looks, I can't play a character I don't like visually. Quan Chi is a maybe, I like him overall and the new patch that's out soon apparently would help me in picking him. Sonya is a no, I don't like her style. Kano is a no, I've tried him and I don't like how he functions.. and Kitana is too technical for me. I really couldn't play her effectively and win. It would be mindless spamming and I'd lose more often than not.

Thanks for the character suggestions, I will definitely take a look at Quan Chi and Cyrax for the next couple weeks. I already know Quan Chi bnb's and the sort, just not how to really use him you know? And I don't know a thing with Cyrax.. so I'll be a while in the lab with him. Thanks again :D

Signature link - amazing song. One of my favorites by Fear Factory.. +1 good sir

doomfarmer

unorthodox
Think about waiting for the patch to come about before deciding who your new main is. You never know exactly what will be changed... the game might feel different than it does now.

leek

Noob
Think about waiting for the patch to come about before deciding who your new main is. You never know exactly what will be changed... the game might feel different than it does now.
That was another thing that I wanted to see aswell. Thanks for confirming this in my mind