What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

PwnStar

Noob
There are stance specific confirms for clone! 4 > Clone in corner will either whiff or freeze on hit based on your stance compared to the opponents. Begin the testing peoples!

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
There are stance specific confirms for clone! 4 > Clone in corner will either whiff or freeze on hit based on your stance compared to the opponents. Begin the testing peoples!
I had thought this to be true but wasn't sure. Flip stance seems to be actually useful in this game.

after an opponent gets frozen in the air after a ice ball or clone what ist he most relaible online combo to punish. i cant run cancel good online so good easy damage hopefully 15-19% would be nice. help please. lag really changes my combo game online i go for short easy combos until i force the opponent in the corner. any advice on what combo i should be doing on the airborn frozen opponent..

Some new tech here. Now all i need is to work on set ups. Clone shattering juggles!!!! God i love this character.

Shattering the clone behind you delay's the shards so they let you keep your opponent in air even with normal icebomb and it also gives you an additional 12% damage incorporated in your combo. :D

I think I maxed out the after freeze part midscreen, can't get any higher but new stuff to learn for after freeze.

Also instead of
· Back + 2 > (run up) Forward + 4,2 ~ Enhanced Ice Blast > Neutral Jump 1 or 2 > Jump Forward + 2 ~ (run up) Back + 1,2 ~ Slide - 30%

you can do
· Back + 2 > (run up) Back +1,3 ~ Enhanced Ice Blast > Neutral Jump 1 or 2 > Jump Forward + 2 ~ (run up) Back + 1,2 ~ Slide - 33%

Last edited:

A video might be a little more helpful than the transcript. All of these are with the b12 starter with different finishers.

Edit: Also the combo with the slide finisher hits 50% instead of 49% if you do j3 instead of j2 after the nj1/2
I have found a setup for this. If you land a b33 in the corner you can finish the combo with the sweep(d4). After the sweep you can safely ice clone. I tested this with reptiles ex dash. The sweep puts just enough space between the ice clone and the opponent for the shares to juggle him. Condition your opponent to block low and jump for the combo. JI2,B12,DB1,11 ice clone, NJP, xray(53%).

After you land the sweep the opponent only has 2 options which are block or perform a wake-up attack.
Gotta give you credit for leading me to this.

What combos to go to for airborne frozen chars?
NJ+1/2 > JIP > (run up) F+4,2 > slide is 15%
NJ+1/2 > JIP > (run up) 1 > F+4,2 > slide 16%
NJ+1/2 >JIP > (run up) 1 >1,2,3 > slide is 17%
NJ+1/2 > JIP > (run up) 1 > B+1,2> slide is 17%

*edit depening on the height, you can do B+2 > (run up) B+1,2 (or 1,2,3) > slide for 18%

If you wanna feel crazy NJ1/2 >JIP >(run up) 1 >(run up) 1 >B+1,2 >slide is 18%

those are the anti air I can think of.

Last edited:
I have found a setup for this. If you land a b33 in the corner you can finish the combo with the sweep(d4). After the sweep you can safely ice clone. I tested this with reptiles ex dash. The sweep puts just enough space between the ice clone and the opponent for the shares to juggle him. Condition your opponent to block low and jump for the combo. JI2,B12,DB1,11 ice clone, NJP, xray(53%).

After you land the sweep the opponent only has 2 options which are block or perform a wake-up attack.
Gotta give you credit for leading me to this.
Edit: Sorry false alarm. Ice clone will be punished if not enhanced.

Last edited:

PwnStar

Noob
Done a lot of clone combo testing. It seems b12, 3, and 4 all have practical uses in different combos (yes I found a use for 3 and 4...). I haven't quite figured out if they'll operate in an optimal combo but here's some pieces to test.

All corner...for now
  • B12 clone seems to work when the body is mid-mid upper. Easy set test set up is: b2, 1 or d1, b12~clone (we already knew this)
  • nj1, fj1, 1*, 3~clone (you want them head height when you hit with 3. This way the hitbox is narrower so you can clone and the legs will swing up and get frozen. The 1* is simply to help with spacing/timing and push you out of the corner, it is optional and you can add other fillers too)
  • nj1, bj1, 4~clone (similar to above, you want to land 4 on their way down so that their legs kick up into the clone)
As for a new corner combo: [EDITED!!!]
b12~EX smash, b2, 1*, b12~clone , nj1, fj3**, 123~slide - 41%
b12~EX smash, b2, 242, 123~slide - 40% (or was it 38? more edits later >_<)
b12~EX smash, b2, 1, d1, b12~clone, nj1, fj1, nj3, land, clone (set up) - 38%
*you can add another 1 or d1 after to help with spacing, but it will make the nj1 follow up harder, maybe making you drop the jf3.
** you can also do fj1. it's easier but 1% less damage.

I'm at work right now and this is off of memory from last night, I'll confirm when I get home to make sure I wrote these correctly. But know that b12, 3, and 4 all have corner set ups that freeze mid combo.

[edit] - sorry posted old combos that worked but were far from that damage or new tech...the REAL combos are up now and do the damage posted! Only had a small time on break to check.

Last edited:

PwnStar

Noob
Had some mistakes in those combos, edited. But yeah 41% corner combo with 1 meter is a real thing now. There's just no reason to use cryo with what grandmaster gives us.

Had some mistakes in those combos, edited. But yeah 41% corner combo with 1 meter is a real thing now. There's just no reason to use cryo with what grandmaster gives us.
wich is why either cryo will be buffed

grand will be nerfed

or both

im personally hoping for the first one ^^

Imperium

Noob
I'll tell you why you can use cryomancer still. In a game with crappy netcode, I can hit b12, ex hammer, b2, f321+3 and get 39% with one bar. If I take literally the only hard part of that combo out, the b2, I get am EASY 34% with a bar. Anywhere on the screen. I also get in-string mixups with it, it's versatile. If you guys want to talk about top tier LAN tournament play, fine. But for 99% of players, cryo still has plenty of use.

I'll tell you why you can use cryomancer still. In a game with crappy netcode, I can hit b12, ex hammer, b2, f321+3 and get 39% with one bar. If I take literally the only hard part of that combo out, the b2, I get am EASY 34% with a bar. Anywhere on the screen. I also get in-string mixups with it, it's versatile. If you guys want to talk about top tier LAN tournament play, fine. But for 99% of players, cryo still has plenty of use.
31% no meter anywhere on screen is actually quite easy to do.

30%+ with a overhead/low/overhead mixup with one bar anywhere on screen

37% in the corner no bar, again overhead.

35% low in the corner no bar.

PwnStar

Noob
Theory for you all to test since I'll be away from my ps4 for a day T_T.

The far corner clone set up, b12~smash, combo... is hard to set up in a practical matter. I think we can combine the OPs clone set up combos with a slight change to end our combos where we place clone in the desire position and then run back in with pressure with the option to use that optimal combo.

The key is after nj1 all back jump attacks will connect if you wait for the body to level out. EX: nj1, pause, bj3, f42 combos. The other possible half is when we do clone combos we're also leaving the opponent in a horizontal pose to make the hitbox wider. This allows us to make small adjustments like a single tap backward and connect nj1 slightly farther away. What we want is to eventually be able to connect nj3 at the end, perfectly spaced for the set up (3 back taps from face to face standing with opponent in corner) and have enough frames to recover and hold advantage.

Theory combos:
corner b12~EX smash, b2, 1, 1, b12~clone, nj1, bj1, nj3, land, clone (set up) - here we're landing late since we hit with nj3 on our way up. So might not work out
corner b12~EX smash, b2, 1, 3~clone, tap back, nj1, tap back, nj3, land, clone (set up) - not sure if we'll space out too far with all this. Should connect in some manner similar though.

Also for shits and giggles I tested, and you can connect three fj1's after a nj1. You can combo if you only do two of them...might be something in that with bj1 being done twice to inch back further.