What's new

Strategy Sub-Zero anti-air...

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
22 is a good anti-air and so is the ice clone, but the first 2 doesn't anti-air and the clone doesn't always come out due to proximity, so what else does he have?

I've been playing around with different things in practise using some of the things I've seen the people I play with use for their characters as anti-air into full combos. Sub's 1 can be used on a jumping opponent and followed up by a slight delay and b12212,slide for 27%. It needs more testing and I need to see whether or not it's truly practical but what do you think? It's all I've come up with outside of jump punch, slide and the odd gimmick like jump punch cancelled into clone in the corner, followed by a njp.

Do you guys know of any other anti-air tech for Sub-Zero?

2 can AA by itself. It's not as good as (2),2 obviously, but it does work. NJP can work, too. But, to be honest, I don't think you need much more than 2,2 and Ice Clone. Ice Clone kind of works as a pre-emptive AA, in that the opp is afraid to jump in on you because it could come out at anytime. Slide can be used as AA, as well.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
2 can AA by itself. It's not as good as (2),2 obviously, but it does work. NJP can work, too. But, to be honest, I don't think you need much more than 2,2 and Ice Clone. Ice Clone kind of works as a pre-emptive AA, in that the opp is afraid to jump in on you because it could come out at anytime. Slide can be used as AA, as well.
Njp is good as you can cancel into a clone regardless of whether or not you hit your opponent. Jump kick and jump in punch are the same like that. Njp into b12212, slide is solid., or njp b12214 in the corner.

The reason I am not sure about 22 is just because I so often hit them at a weird angle and then the iceball misses but 1, b12212, slide does more damage and seems a bit more robust to me.

Njp is good as you can cancel into a clone regardless of whether or not you hit your opponent. Jump kick and jump in punch are the same like that. Njp into b12212, slide is solid., or njp b12214 in the corner.

The reason I am not sure about 22 is just because I so often hit them at a weird angle and then the iceball misses but 1, b12212, slide does more damage and seems a bit more robust to me.
No harm in just getting an AA (2),2 with no follow-up. You should be able to see where you're about to hit them and choose not to Ice Blast if need be. Or you could probably switch to (2),2,4 xx Slide if you wanted.

d+1 xx Freeze can be used as AA as well, obviously.

Also, after NJP, add a 1 before the b+1,2 to make it all 31% I find it makes it more consistent, too.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
No harm in just getting an AA (2),2 with no follow-up. You should be able to see where you're about to hit them and choose not to Ice Blast if need be. Or you could probably switch to (2),2,4 xx Slide if you wanted.

d+1 xx Freeze can be used as AA as well, obviously.

Also, after NJP, add a 1 before the b+1,2 to make it all 31% I find it makes it more consistent, too.
To be honest, Mecha, I am just looking for new stuff with him. 22 is of course the number one string rgardless of whether or not you get the follow up combo.

I'll add that jab in for the extra damage after the njp, too.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I think Sub Zero's only Anti Air struggle is against crossups. 22 and d1~freeze both work alright, but i'll have to try that NJP~clone idea.

I like to use 1,and then if I'm confident I can land b1 2, 2 1 2, slide, I'll go for it.
If not, I'll just follow up the 1, with 3 or 4 more 1's and then go for 2 1 2, slide.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I found a new and easy-to-land anti air combo for Sub-Zero in the early hours this morning.

1, dash, 212, freeze, dash, (b1)2, 22, slide. It does 25% but you can pull it off super consistently and it has big wall carry. This is the most practical one I've found outside of the usual 22, freeze or 22, slide stuff.

I found a new and easy-to-land anti air combo for Sub-Zero in the early hours this morning.

1, dash, 212, freeze, dash, (b1)2, 22, slide. It does 25% but you can pull it off super consistently and it has big wall carry. This is the most practical one I've found outside of the usual 22, freeze or 22, slide stuff.
Have you been able to land 1 as AA consistently in matches? The hitbox seems so much smaller than 2, let alone (2),2.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Have you been able to land 1 as AA consistently in matches? The hitbox seems so much smaller than 2, let alone (2),2.
The hitbox on Sub's 1 isn't worse than most jabs in the game. It has slower startup, but that's why you just have to learn the timing on a jumping opponent.

2~ice blast is one of the best aa's in the game. top 3 aa's are 1. KL spin, 2. ice clone, 3. sub-zero 2~ice blast

The first 2 of the string?
yes, the first 2 of the string. i do this in so many of my match vids. my vids are rare in this forum because of the controversy they cause so i guess few to no ppl get to see how sub-zeros 2 can AA easily, but privately look at some of them and you will see what a consistent AA 2~ice blast is.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
yes, the first 2 of the string. i do this in so many of my match vids. my vids are rare in this forum because of the controversy they cause so i guess few to no ppl get to see how sub-zeros 2 can AA easily, but privately look at some of them and you will see what a consistent AA 2~ice blast is.
Post them or I BAN YOU.

Controversy? Seriously... gtfo.

Post them or I BAN YOU.

Controversy? Seriously... gtfo.
what i mean is so many players on this forum actually take offense to them when other ppl on this forum try to break down the fight and tactics i use. this usually results in an all out argument between supporters vs haters rather then breaking down the matches.

a good example is when noobharvester made a thread about ms vs teef, you get guys in there insisting that any avg sub off the street do what i do and that the thread and tourney match itself were ridiculous which resulted in 7 pages of bickering.

if I were to make a match vid thread for myself, so many other players would insist that i did so out of arrogance and blatant disrespect for the other sub players and that i wish to steal all of the credit for playing the character for myself. it just got so bad and ridiculous that i said i'd let someone else do it but it never happened so here we are lol...

in short, i just wanted to avoid a thread filled with 30 pages of arguments rather then a thread of actual discussion.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Thanks.

I'll incorporate this into my play more often. For some reason, I always used to whiff the first 2 and try to hit them with the 2nd 2 but the timing on that was always sketchy unless I did it purely in anticipation.

shura30

Shura
what i mean is so many players on this forum actually take offense to them when other ppl on this forum try to break down the fight and tactics i use. this usually results in an all out argument between supporters vs haters rather then breaking down the matches.

a good example is when noobharvester made a thread about ms vs teef, you get guys in there insisting that any avg sub off the street do what i do and that the thread and tourney match itself were ridiculous which resulted in 7 pages of bickering.
just post your vids under false name