What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Does anyone know the origins of the old school terminology? Is that what Capcom used? I was a little kid in the early 90's so i dont remember.
When SF 2 world warrior came out the button layout on the arcade cabinets were like this:
Punches from weakest to strongest
Jab,Strong,Fierce
Kicks from weakest to strongest
Short,Forward,Roundhouse
I guess after the game became more advanced and more characters were added capcom decided to make a universal terminology since for example most characters didn't even have a roundhouse type kick so why call it that? But to this day when me and my brother or friends talk SF or practice combos or moves we still use the old terminology. I guess it just stuck to us Lol. Same for MK, we don't use "back punch" or "1" to identify the buttons, we use low punch, high punch, low kick, high kick, since that's how MK first started with it's buttons.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Do you know how to tech? Is your problem with this game that you can get hit? You're trolling is really feeling weak lately.
My problem with SFV is that you get hit once through random means and sit there guessing on layers of 50/50s. The reward for guessing a throw is not getting grabbed, the reward for blocking is the same mix-up restarting because your oppponent is on top of you at frame advantage; If you don't have a reversal you are not getting off the ground

Yeah and Fchamp, Art, Infilitration, knuckle du, several nacalli players, even sonicfox anti air consistently. Not to mention my own opponents, some from this very thread. So please stop dick riding pro players as if they're are more than human and some equivalent measurement of the game. Especially when it's only been a couple months. Stop running to other people's tweets and what happened in a match that one time.
You are only anti-airing if you are looking for a jump. If anti-airs were consistent and the risk/reward for jumping wasn't skewed then everyone wouldn't be jumping all the time like they do currently. What a kind of game has you more scared of trying to anti-air than jumping and being completely vulnerable in the air

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
hey, so i need some help getting started with cammy, what are some basic combo's, im having trouble linking stuff with her.
Bread and Butter Combos:
cr.lk -> cr.lp xxHK Arrow (118/253)
cr.lp -> b+mp xx HK Arrow (154/293)
cr.lk -> cr.lp xx HK DP (154/280)
V-Skill -> st.hp xx HK Arrow (212/355)
V-Skill -> st.hp xx HK DP (228/ 395)
cr.lk -> cr.lp -> st.lp xx HK Arrow (141/294) /croucher only
cr.lk -> cr.lp -> st.lp xx HK DP (146/329) /croucher only

Punish Combos:
cr.mp -> cr.mp xx HK Arrow (194/310)
cr.mp -> cr.mp xx HK DP (210/350)
st.mp -> st.hp xx HK Arrow (212/355)
st.mp -> st.hp xx HK DP (228/395)
cr.lp -> TC xx HK DP (222/380)
cr.lp -> TC xx MK Arrow (195/345)
cr.mp -> TC xx HK DP (262/410) /croucher only
cr.mp -> TC xx MK Arrow ( 241/375) /croucher only

Source : http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/207278/cammy-combo-tech-thread-target-confirmed/p1

There are others, but these should be more than enough to get you started. First parentheses number is damage, second one is stun.

Aramonde

Noob
When SF 2 world warrior came out the button layout on the arcade cabinets were like this:
Jab,Strong,Fierce
Short,Forward,Roundhouse
I guess after the game became more advanced and more characters were added capcom decided to make a universal terminology since for example most characters didn't even have a roundhouse type kick so why call it that? But to this day when me and my brother or friends talk SF or practice combos or moves we still use the old terminology. I guess it just stuck to us Lol. Same for MK, we don't use "back punch" or "1" to identify the buttons, we use low punch, high punch, low kick, high kick, since that's how MK first started with it's buttons.
Oh okay i only played SF2 on Genesis with my bro :) . All the names makes sense except for forward. Why the hell did they name it forward? lol

Most of the SF fgc uses the old school terms so i learned them after a while.

In MK i also used LP,HP,LK,HK until MK9. Now i use 1234.

Aramonde

Noob
LMAO!!!! So im playing against a Rashid and i get about a 40% life lead im standing full screen occasionly throwing booms but mostly waiting for him. He keeps standing full screen i guess afraid to come in. after about 30 seconds of keeping him at bay with vskill booms and standing there he rage quitted XD !

I played so lame i bored him to death! XD Oh man as i Guile player thats the best.

EDIT: @vicious1024 Your tactic helped me win a match. We were both at low life and he's waking up i v-trig and i thought about your tactic and he jumps and i flash kick his back to SF4! BOGOOSH!!!

Last edited:

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Jab,Strong,Fierce
Short,Forward,Roundhouse
I sometimes hear people say these on ki streams. I know they're from sf but didn't know exactly which button they were

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
hey, so i need some help getting started with cammy, what are some basic combo's, im having trouble linking stuff with her.
-----------------------------
|Cammy Notes, (pre) Launch Day|

ST = Standing
CR - Crouching
B = Back/Away
F = Forward/Toward
H = Heavy
M = Medium
L = Light
P - Punch
K = Kick
~ = Target Combo
xx = Special Cancel
CA = Critical Art/Super
CC = Crush Counter
/ = Or
** = Note to reader

-----
General Cammy Notes
-----
-CR. LP is 3f, excellent for punishing as it can lead to CA
-Don't use V-trigger and super in a combo, pick one to optimise meter usage.
-Difference in DAMAGE between F.HK combos and ST.MP combos are so minimal (2 points of damage).
--Difference in STUN between F.HK combos and ST.MP combos are larger. (45 points of stun)
-All Canon Spikes invincible, LK version works closer than expecter. All cancel into CA
-In corner, you can connect a Canon Spike or CA after a Razors Edge
-Cannot combo off of CR.MK XX V-TRIGGER

------
DP Punish Combos
------
CC ST.HK, ST.HP XX CA (440/315) *TESTED AFTER KNOCKDOWN, ROUGH DAMAGE/STUN VALUES BECAUSE SCALING*
CC ST.HK, ST.HP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (388/610)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX SPIRAL ARROW (212/355)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (340/530)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX H CANON SPIKE XX CA (447/395)
F.HK, CR.MP XX V-TRIGGER, CR.MK XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (321/450)
F.HK, CR.MP XX H SPIRAL ARROW (214/310)

------
Tighter Punish Combos
------
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX CA (369/240)
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX H CANON SPIKE XX CA (407/380)
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX H CANON SPIKE(222/280)
CR.LP, CR.LP~ H CANON SPIKE (118/253)
CR.LP, B.MP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE(282/455)
CR.LP XX CA (317/70) *Last reort if out of range for anything else to link.

------
Anti-Air
------
ST.HK
CANON SPIKE XX HK CA (417/200)

------
Frame Traps
------
Beats 4 frame jabs:
-CR.LP
--CR.MP/B.MP

-ST.MP
--CR.LP/CR.MP/CR.LK

-CR.MP
--CR.LP/B.MP/CR.LK/ST.LP

-F.HK
--CANON SPIKE

-----
Tech
-----
-EX Dive Kick --> light jab --> forward dash
--Do jab when body is high = fast side switch
--Do jab when body is lower = fake side switch
---Cancel into Hooligan Comination for more shenanigans to throw them off.

I got the game a little but earlier but most of it should still be relevant.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
|Cammy Notes, (pre) Launch Day|

ST = Standing
CR - Crouching
B = Back/Away
F = Forward/Toward
H = Heavy
M = Medium
L = Light
P - Punch
K = Kick
~ = Target Combo
xx = Special Cancel
CA = Critical Art/Super
CC = Crush Counter
/ = Or
** = Note to reader

-----
General Cammy Notes
-----
-CR. LP is 3f, excellent for punishing as it can lead to CA
-Don't use V-trigger and super in a combo, pick one to optimise meter usage.
-Difference in DAMAGE between F.HK combos and ST.MP combos are so minimal (2 points of damage).
--Difference in STUN between F.HK combos and ST.MP combos are larger. (45 points of stun)
-All Canon Spikes invincible, LK version works closer than expecter. All cancel into CA
-In corner, you can connect a Canon Spike or CA after a Razors Edge
-Cannot combo off of CR.MK XX V-TRIGGER

------
DP Punish Combos
------
CC ST.HK, ST.HP XX CA (440/315) *TESTED AFTER KNOCKDOWN, ROUGH DAMAGE/STUN VALUES BECAUSE SCALING*
CC ST.HK, ST.HP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (388/610)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX SPIRAL ARROW (212/355)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (340/530)
ST.MP, ST.HP XX H CANON SPIKE XX CA (447/395)
F.HK, CR.MP XX V-TRIGGER, CR.MK XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE (321/450)
F.HK, CR.MP XX H SPIRAL ARROW (214/310)

------
Tighter Punish Combos
------
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX CA (369/240)
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX H CANON SPIKE XX CA (407/380)
CR.LP, B.MP~ST.HK XX H CANON SPIKE(222/280)
CR.LP, CR.LP~ H CANON SPIKE (118/253)
CR.LP, B.MP XX V-TRIGGER, ST.HP XX H SPIRAL ARROW, H CANON SPIKE(282/455)
CR.LP XX CA (317/70) *Last reort if out of range for anything else to link.

------
Anti-Air
------
ST.HK
CANON SPIKE XX HK CA (417/200)

------
Frame Traps
------
Beats 4 frame jabs:
-CR.LP
--CR.MP/B.MP

-ST.MP
--CR.LP/CR.MP/CR.LK

-CR.MP
--CR.LP/B.MP/CR.LK/ST.LP

-F.HK
--CANON SPIKE

-----
Tech
-----
-EX Dive Kick --> light jab --> forward dash
--Do jab when body is high = fast side switch
--Do jab when body is lower = fake side switch
---Cancel into Hooligan Comination for more shenanigans to throw them off.

I got the game a little but earlier but most of it should still be relevant.
It is :)

Cammy Is such a straightforward character and that's why I love using her.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
You are only anti-airing if you are looking for a jump.
That's kind of how it always works. Like that's the whole idea of reading your opponent in neutral.

If anti-airs were consistent and the risk/reward for jumping wasn't skewed then everyone wouldn't be jumping all the time like they do currently.
Except I and @ILuvFightGames pointed out players who consistently anti air. Unless you mean anti airs have nothing to do with why infilitration, tokido, knuckle du, art and fchamp win. Among others.

What a kind of game has you more scared of trying to anti-air than jumping and being completely vulnerable in the air
If you mean getting combos from anti airs, SF was barely ever about that. Only once alpha v-ism was figured out and in 4 where you could FADC to ultra. But in this game you can anti air into mixup. Which happens in tourneys and which will happeb to you if you play me.

Who wants to bet on myles not really responding to ANY of my points ans continuing repeating himself without adding anything of worth?

If you are talking about facing him as a Gief player, The banana.
This. Fuck ice clone it's a stupid move and birdie is a stupid character. Doesn't even dissapear when you hit him. Wtf is that. Birdie better not get buffed hard since he's not really making waves. Or even god can't help us.

That's kind of how it always works. Like that's the whole idea of reading your opponent in neutral.

Except I and @ILuvFightGames pointed out players who consistently anti air. Unless you mean anti airs have nothing to do with why infilitration, tokido, knuckle du, art and fchamp win. Among others.

If you mean getting combos from anti airs, SF was barely ever about that. Only once alpha v-ism was figured out and in 4 where you could FADC to ultra. But in this game you can anti air into mixup. Which happens in tourneys and which will happeb to you if you play me.

Who wants to bet on myles not really responding to ANY of my points ans continuing repeating himself without adding anything of worth?

This. Fuck ice clone it's a stupid move and birdie is a stupid character. Doesn't even dissapear when you hit him. Wtf is that. Birdie better not get buffed hard since he's not really making waves. Or even god can't help us.
A friend of mine thought that Gief and Birdie was even, so I said 'You play Gief, I'll play Birdie. I'll do two moves, and I guarantee you won't get anywhere near me'. He now firmly believes that Gief vrs Banana is the toughest match up in the game.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
SFV Cinematic Story and Additional June Updates

Hey everyone!

Big news today! June will be a huge month for Street Fighter V as we introduce the biggest update to the game yet. Tons and tons of new content is in the pipeline and we can't wait to tell you all about what’s in the works. But first, hit the jump and let’s talk about what’s coming to all SFV players in late June.

Cinematic Story: “A Shadow Falls”

The SFV Story Expansion is a 3~4 hour experience titled “A Shadow Falls” and will be released at the end of this month as free DLC to all SFV players. The 5 chapter story takes place between Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter III and bridges the events that happen in between the two stories. This is the first time in franchise history that fans will be able to play through this type of cinematic experience in a Street Fighter game.

The Street Fighter V Cinematic Story Expansion, “A Shadow Falls,” depicts the ultimate battle between the evil Shadaloo organization and the heroic World Warriors who rise up against them. Seven “Black Moons” are deployed by Shadaloo, granting M. Bison unimaginable power and enveloping the earth in total darkness. Seeing the moons mysteriously appear in the sky, Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li embark on an epic journey around the world to retrieve fragment pieces that are the key to stopping the “Black Moons” before it’s too late. Along the way, they encounter the rest of the World Warriors, each of whom have their own agendas and motivations in mind. The final battle between good and evil begins now… who will RISE UP?

The next related piece of awesome news: all six DLC characters are fully playable in the story mode. That’s right, in addition to Alex, Guile, and Ibuki, that means that Balrog, Urien, and Juri are also playable! The official release of these characters will not be until later in the year, which means everyone will get to play them in advance through this mode. For the DLC characters that haven’t been released at the time the story comes out, those characters shouldn’t be considered final or tournament ready, as they still need to be properly polished and balanced. So, think of this as a free preview of the characters and enjoy playing with them before they get officially released in the other competitive game modes.

Finally, you’ll be able to earn Fight Money from completing the story mode as well! A higher difficulty becomes unlocked after clearing the normal mode, which you can also earn extra Fight Money from:

Normal Mode= 30,000 FM

Extra Mode*= 50,000 FM

TOTAL= 80,000 FM

*Extra Mode (higher difficulty) unlocks after you complete Normal mode

In-Game Currency System Changes

We have an important announcement regarding the in-game currency system. We will no longer be introducing Zenny to Street Fighter V as a real money currency option. After extensive testing and development, we came to the conclusion that it was not necessary in order to carry out our original vision for the product. Instead, we will be utilizing the PlayStation Store and Steam stores to carry out real money transactions.

Our plan for the in-game economy of SFV was always to provide players with choice. Fight Money remains as the basic currency that players can earn for FREE through gameplay and utilize to purchase characters and other awesome downloadable content like stages and costumes. For players who want to just purchase the content outright, instead of introducing Zenny, the process will be much more familiar with purchases happening through the established first party infrastructures.

The in-game store will be upgraded with the PlayStation Store and Steam real money purchase options as part of the update in late June. At the same time, the free trial period for Alex and Guile will come to an end as we previously had stated. Players will need to either obtain the characters through Fight Money, real money, or the season pass to continue using them after the update. We hope that everyone has enjoyed throwing down with these fearsome fighters and feels inclined to pick them up after testing them out during the free trial period!

We know fans have also been wondering about how content will be priced, so we created this handy chart which breaks down the content in Fight Money and real money pricing:

Fight Money

Real Currency

New Characters

$ 5.99 / € 5.99

New Stages

$ 3.99 / € 3.99

Alternate Stages

$ 1.99 / € 1.99

Story Costumes

$ 1.99 / € 1.99

Premium Costumes

-

$ 3.99 / € 3.99

Additional Content in June Update

The premium Battle Costumes for every character released so far will go on sale this month, and will be available for purchase with real currency only.

Story mode costumes will also be available for purchase this month, meaning you will no longer need to complete the Character Stories to gain access to the content. Story mode costumes can be purchased with either Fight Money or real currency. We’ll be breaking down all of the costumes coming with the June update in another blog this month. There may be even more surprises in store, so stayed tuned!

Future Content

Daily Challenges are currently being re-tooled and optimized for the game, and we will share the new timing of this feature as soon as we more details. The feature will now be called “Targets,” and they will still be daily goals for players to complete and generate Fight Money, which can be used to purchase in-game content like new characters and costumes. New single player modes including Extra Battle and Versus CPU are also in the works. We’ll share more details on these modes and features as soon as we can.

That’s all for now, but stay tuned as we’ll take a closer look at the many June update features in the days and weeks ahead.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I'll take playable story-mode Juri but I won't smile about it because I'm still not happy with Capcom

Sitting there and waiting because your opponent 'might' jump so that you can actually anti-air sounds perfectly fine? Premptive anti-airing... really?

Your saying one thing yet footage of professional tournament players is saying another. I'm not even 20 seconds into this video and Xian has blocked a jump-in one of the players mentioned as being amazing at anti-airs.. is it possible for me to watch the first minute of a fight and not see someone get a jump-in when it's so 'easy' to anti-air

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Really I feel Rashid does well against him bcuz of his high mobility
He does for the most part, the biggest problem with the matchup is that if I let bison get his shit started he become suuper annoying. Standing short is my only 3 frame button and it has terrible range, so whenever he hits me with st. fierce if I don't time my button correctly I'm probably getting crush countered lol.

A friend of mine thought that Gief and Birdie was even, so I said 'You play Gief, I'll play Birdie. I'll do two moves, and I guarantee you won't get anywhere near me'. He now firmly believes that Gief vrs Banana is the toughest match up in the game.
You can do the same with Ryu and LP fireball and DP.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'll take playable story-mode Juri but I won't smile about it because I'm still not happy with Capcom

Sitting there and waiting because your opponent 'might' jump so that you can actually anti-air sounds perfectly fine? Premptive anti-airing... really?

Your saying one thing yet footage of professional tournament players is saying another. I'm not even 20 seconds into this video and Xian has blocked a jump-in one of the players mentioned as being amazing at anti-airs.. is it possible for me to watch the first minute of a fight and not see someone get a jump-in when it's so 'easy' to anti-air

I'm confused as to what you're trying to say, idk if I'm reading it wrong or what. Are you having trouble with anti airs? Who do you play?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I wouldn't describe F.A.N.G as a character you play. I select F.A.N.G on the select screen when I feel like putting in SFV and getting vortexed to death in the corner because I cannot get off the ground
Idk if vortexed is the term you are looking for, but yeah F.A.N.G. is a struggle I'm sorry bruhski. :\ HOWEVER, you have one of the best anti airs in the game tbh. Cr fierce is incredibly annoying to deal with lol. I know at certain angles jump ins can get past it, but I think his jab is pretty decent for anything out of range? I could be thinking of someone else.