What's new

Story behind your main!

doomfarmer

unorthodox
MK1 came out when I was in like 5th or 6th grade. Was obsessed with drawing scorpion and goro. Pretty much used Scorpion in every possible game since (unless Baraka was an option). Always played the game casually though. By the time MK vs DC came out I gave up. To this day that is the only MK game i've never played.

When MK9 got announced, I was excited to use Scorpion and Baraka of course. Bought the game, played the F out of Scorp... Baraka was garbage. Discovered TestYourMight around this time. A few days after the game came out, I was already trying to take the game very serious, and was using a lot of the strat guides posted on this site to try other characters and find out who was really the right one to level up correctly.

Then about a week after the game came out, I watched the stream for PowerUp2011. Saw how all these characters COULD look if I put in the time to get good. I was amazed. Then... I saw Brady use Sub-Zero at powerup. The way he played him stuck out to me. So many characters seemed (at the time) to only rely on rush down or zoning, and with Sub it seemed like Tom was using that character to completely control the match.

Sub has been my main ever since.

Theme

Noob
Started off the demo (had no interest in the game until after demo) with Sub Zero and Scorpion. Like so many, ninjas, the coolest thing ever. Me and Richard, were going hand to hand, so I decided I must get better, because he was beating me more times than I beat him. It was really close each time too. I was always torn between the two. JC and Mileena I had zero interest in.

After the demo, I didnt even think I'd buy the game. I decided to buy it on midnight release just because some of my other friends were going to, so might as well.

Started the story mode, still stayed with Sub Zero and Scorpion. After campaign, I tried out new casts. One of the few first were Liu Kang, Noob Saibot (loved him in UMK3), and Sektor (same with Noob). Didnt like the turtle game of Noob, and Sektor I felt was too low tier at the time. Saw PL's Liu Kang during pdp (I think) against Tom Brady's JC. So I switched to Liu Kang for a while.

Raiden, Liu Kang, Sub Zero were the main guys I used.

Throughout this summer, I got pretty good with them, then I came back to school expecting to beat my friend who gave me such a hard time during the demo. He wiped the floor with his Sub Zero and Raiden. Raped both of mines. The only other character I played was Liu Kang (who could beat him pretty evenly) because I didnt want to use the characters he did.

So I decided to try out other characters. Easymac was meh, so I dropped him after awhile. I started using Mileena, Kitana, Sektor (saw some videos and I fell in love), Noob. After getting my ass handed to me so many times, I decided to hop on the bandwagon and see what the big deal was with Kung Lao. Played him for an hour in practice mode and I fell in love. Within the day, my Kung Lao (having never played him at all) was just as good as my Liu Kang, even a bit better.

Decided to expand my horizon and tried Reptile too. Also became one of my mains. I loved his play style. Then I stuck with them. Up until recently, I only used Liu, Kung, and Reptile. Then I discovered Cyrax after seeing Maxter in action. Thought he was cheap at first, but god damn, after pulling off some ridiculous combos and seeing my friends jaw drop to the floor, I decided to add him to my collection.

I would say my main would be Kung Lao, but I use 3-4 characters in each situation. If I feel like Im losing too consistently, I switch to KL to dominate my friend. We are pretty close each game, so it doesnt really make that much of a difference, but its just something I noticed. If I play slower and smarter, I can punish him well while I always was getting punished for stupid mistakes. He baits so damn well.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Sonya because I've always felt really familiar with her from the start in each game. I just go right to her.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I am shallow I think. I have mained all of these since MK2

Kitana
- I thought fans were AWESOME weapons
- I like her character design
- I liked her storyline
- Always love her style of play
- I like women who kick arse
- She is pretty
- I like the colour blue

Mileena
Same as above but with sai's and without the whole blue thing
Loved her even more after Deception where they played up her insanity more

Raiden
- Awesome character design / concept
- Love Lightning concept and his moves
- I liked the noise he made when he supermanned

Sasuga

Noob
To me, there's not really a story behind my mains. I played MK1 to 4, I didn't have mains back then, I just played the characters that felt good to me. Same thing applies to MK9. Rain was the one character that I really missed from the start. I was very exited when they announced him that I almost immediately decided that I would main him.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
I always liked sub and scorp since mk1 but it was till mk3 i met true love.

They introduced the robots to the game and i was like oh thats kay lemme have a look at them

saw smoke, he seemed cool enough with his purple armor and his easy teleport spear combination combos. And im pissed as fuck that he isn't in this game!
saw sektor, looked badass with the red and the missiles were enticing as well. I remember the older kids i used to hang with knowing his fatalities and i used to pester them because i wanted to learn them. They always gave me wrong inputs:throwcomputer: fuckin assholes

And then...i saw cyrax...love at first sight, yellow, green nets, bombs! What the hell more could you ask for?

Favorite character every since, always liked how he looked in every mk game and mk9 is no exception. My second fave has to be cyber smoke but they kind of fucked him as time passed by, he progressively kept looking like shit as the games went by, and his exception in this game is a mind rape to our childhood!

I've played as Mileena in every MK game that she's been in. I've always liked her story, her sais are badass, and I love the reactions from people when they see her fatalities. In MK9 her personality made me want to use her even more. She's so damn creepy!

Females are usually the "fastest" in fighting games, so I tried out each one (jade, mileena, sonya, kitana) and Kitana appealed to me the most.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Scorpion since MK1.

In MK9 he is my Main, but the spot its ocuppied by two more characters

Kabal and kitana, i can't get rid of them.

So to me its a tie of these 3

agx

Noob
I've been away from the game for months and am currently searching for a main. I got a bit tired with Reptile and am considering Skarlet, if I can stop dying with her. I messed with her in training mode enough and now I can't seem to get away from her. Here's my MK history though:

MK1 (6 or 7 years old)

Sub-Zero's freezing ability was mind-blowingly awesome, as was his spine-ripping fatality. It was enough to draw me away from SF2 and Guile, a feat of considerable difficulty at the time. I picked him pretty much every time. How could freeze => uppercut get old? Only Kano was tempting, because of his heart rip, but since I sucked at fatalities and liked Subby's gameplay much more, I rarely chose anyone else.

MK2

Upon discovering Reptile in MK1, I wanted nothing more than to play him. Sub-Zero's moves AND Scorpion's spear?! He was the original secret badass of fighting games and I loved him for it. The other intriguing nonplayable character was Shang Tsung. The thought of switching between the ninjas at will was a dream I thought would never happen. MKII dropped and I got both my wishes, in a sense. I certainly got a great deal of satisfaction playing Reptile on occasion, but didn't care for his moveset. Forceballs? What happened to green ice and spear (Genesis version)? Shang was everything I hoped, though. Sub/Shang/Rep were all I touched.

MK3

Sub/Shang + Smoke, who was the most badass new addition since the first game. I couldn't believe this was the guy hiding behind the trees in the last game. Teleport punch and chest spear were too awesome. Plus the cyborg sound effects.

UMK3

Never played much, but when I did it was always Noob since Sub was getting a bit old and teleport slam was my new favorite move.

Trilogy

Noob and Rain all day, with a little Sub/Reptile/Shang, as always. I loved Rain's roundhouse, lightning, and ability to reposition the opponent while Noob's shadows never got old (my friends at the time would disagree).

MK4

My ninja love finally died down a bit, though I loved Reptile's ninja alt costume. The real draw here was Quan Chi. I loved his character design and especially his tapdancing skydrop. Around this time I began watching Mortal Kombat: Konquest every week and as a result, Shang Tsung and Quan Chi became my favorite characters by far. I still see Bruce Locke's face whenever I think of Shang.

When my two favorite sorcerers became the focus of the next game, I was ecstatic, but the gameplay caused me to lose interest fast. Plus, getting a PS2 (I went from Genesis to N64) gave me access to my long lost Capcom fighters, and 3S and CvS2 took over my interest.

That was it for me until this game. My amazon preorder gave me access to my long lost ninja Reptile. Sub-Zero was my clear choice for alternate. I held off learning Quan Chi because I thought his tools would be nerfed/revised. Shang remained my favorite character through it all, but I just can't play him in this game. He doesn't fit my style. After PSN went out and I traveled an hour to play people in person, to find that only SSF4 and MvC3 had setups, I gave up. Over the past several weeks I've just been beating up my nephews on weekends. I'm not really sure why I came back but after spending a day on psn, I don't think I can leave MK again any time soon, even if the lag is still pretty bad. Now I just need to figure out who to focus on.

Sorry for giving you guys a biography. I just rediscovered my password to this account and kinda lost control of my keyboard.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Cage and Kano were my original mains because I wanted to play douchey characters.

I really wanted to play Jax because he is part of NWA but I just couldn't get a feel for him at first. Jax is my new main at the moment!

Error

DF2+R2
When I was new to the series I thought Ermac's green star projectile looked cool in UMK3/MKT and his flameport was sexy. Years later I found myself using him in the 3D MKs and I've been using him ever since. Quan Chi is just a sexy man, woolay to the max.

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
I think I play Johnny Cage since MK2 because he is hot. I was a kid, didn't understand much, but something in him was attractive for me, now I know it was his sweat chest.

Blue is my favorite color, but I don't like hoods, caps, etc. So I didn't like Sub-Zero that much.
But then I saw him unmasked on MK3 and started liking him more and more.

Now these 2 are my favorite characters.

x18x2xwildx

Something wicked this way comes.
Mileena: In MK2 I fell in love with her because she was pink and fought with sais... that's still true in MK9, and now she comes complete with a sexy little attitude lol

aj1701

Noob
In MK1 I liked the whole cast, but my favorites were Raiden and Sonya. Raiden was just cool and reminded me of Thunder in Big Trouble in Little China, and Sonya was an ass kicking girl (oh boobs. I was 13, what do you want?).

In MK2, I still liked Raiden, but there was just something about Kitana. Sexy, lethal ninja and her fans were awesome. She's been with me ever since. I'm still thinking about what other characters to learn. Sonya I've always liked as well, and Raiden still calls.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
This MK, Stryker, because no one likes him. *Adjust hipster glasses* All other MKs, I didn't have a main, I just used different people.

Plop

Noob
I was JUST about to start a new thread about this! lol I've really enjoyed reading about all your stories! Anyway, here's mine..

The first Mk game i got was Mk1 on the..GAME BOY! I had it for aaages before i got it on the snes. I was instantly drawn to kano. He was clearly the most bad ass. One thing that always sticks out in my mind and that i think about quite alot, is how surprised i was to see that Scorpion was yellow and Sub-Zero was blue! Sounds silly i know, but i was just used to the black+white graphics on the game boy. Looking back, i dont even know why i was so heavily into that game. The game boy version was baaaad! In fact, i bought it again recently for old times sake and its even worse than i remember.

Anyway, Kano was my favorite and i was obsessed with MK. Then, i bought a magazine cos i saw the Mk dragon on the cover. I opened it up and BAM MK2! I was sooo fuckin thrilled! I looked at those 3 pages so much that the magazine just fell open to those pages. However, i was devestated Kano wasnt there. But, my god, when i first saw Baraka i couldnt believe my eyes. He was like nothing i'd ever seen before! To this day, he's still the most orginal character the Mk team have ever created. (in fact, thats something thats pissed me off for a while, the creaters have gotten really lazy over the last 10 years or whatever and sometimes i wonder if they've got any imagination left at all) So from that point forward, if i played a game with Baraka in, its Baraka that i picked. The whole reason i was so fuckin excited about MKT coming out was that i could finally pick Baraka again. To this day, he's still the only one i can complete MK2 with. I still loved Kano too. He was wompin in the movie. Me and my friends used to spend all day doin the "Allo baby, did you miss me?" impersonations. I always liked Mileena and Reptile too, and in MK3 robo-smoke was my boy. If he was in this game he's probably be one of my mains. But Baraka and Kano have always been my muckers.

Reptile was my main in MK4, Kano was my main in DA and Baraka was obviously my main in Deception, Armageddon and MKDC. Its taken me a while to settle on my mains in this game though.

I tried Baraka at first. His specials are fun and stuff but thats as far as it went originally. I couldnt really do much else with him. So then i picked up Reptile and learned how to play the game through him really. I think he's a really user friendly character with simple bnb's and generally a good character to start off with. However, i got bored of him quite quickly.

Now that I'm a bit better i've broadened my horizons. Whist trying to get the My Kung Fu Is Stronger trophy ive spent a couple of hours in the lab with each character and i've gotta say, hands down, Kano + Mileena are by far the most fun characters to use in this game. I don't even care about winning with them, i just really enjoy using them. Not only that, but i dont like using characters that everyone else uses. Thats why i absolutely REFUSE to even touch Scorpion! Every other person i fight on PSN EU is a fuckin Scorpion. I do use a bit of Baraka on the side though. I've got the hang of him now, but the one thing that stops me using him seriously is linking his b31's together online. Its impossible online and drives me round the fuckin bend.

Anyway, thats my story. Sorry its so long, got a bit carried away there :)

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
1. I like girls

2. I love redheads foxy sluts, so , Skarlet is wonderful perfect to me !

3. I love the freak sexy nature of Mileena, the beauty and the beast in the same woman, so, she is my number one

4. Both are fast and have cool an fun gameplay and move set, hehe :D

Espio

Kokomo
Stryker I'm going to school for Criminal Justice and have always loved cops and guns, he's also the most relatable character in the series, he's like us, he just happens to be fighting against a horde of sorcerers, Tarkatans, Shokans, and lizard creatures. Not to mention, he has always been bad ass to me, his attitude his combos, his special moves are all top notch and he hits hard. Any game Stryker is in, he will be my favorite, tiers do not matter to me.

Sonya First lady of MK, strong and beautiful, in her early days she was the pillar of feminism. Strong, intelligent and independent, I will always love Sonya, she's inspiring, I just wish her costumes matched her personality.

Sheeva MY sexy Shokan beasting on dudes effortlessly and fun to boot. She's all about honor and doing the right thing, she's not evil she just does the things she does to protect her people.

Rain He's the polar opposite of Stryker, vain, self important and just overall a pretentious prick and I love it. Great gameplay, costumes, and story.

Jade I love my Edenian assassin, she's a background character that steps up to the plate when need be and is a ton of fun to use with her shadow flash boomerang and staff. She also happens to be rocking my favorite color green :)