What's new

Sonya is a top 3 character

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I'm trying to clear up misconceptions because there are other players who also believe that it can be done.
Yes, thank you dave. After my kenshi got bodied by kung lao at Destruction II yesterday, (as i already knew it would), im really trying to focus on sonya. I learned her a while ago but stopped practicing with her. Now im just trying to get as much info as i can.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Has nobody listened to what I've said about her at all?
This post just looks like things I've said over the past few months thrown together. Glad you finally realised.

She doesnt lose to Kenshi, 5-5.
Like I've said for AGES, Freddy 5-5.
Kabal is her only real bad matchup 4-6.
5 5 against Kenshi is insane. Maybe if he tries to Spirit Charge after his block strings so she armors through. Other than that, she will not win that match.

OmyMk

Noob
So what if Sonya is #1 in the game? Someone has to be, right? If not her, it would have been someone else.. like Scorpion. Imagine what would happen if the yellow ninja from the dvd cover would be #1.
This thread is garbage...

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
I tried picking up Sonya a while back but didn't understand the concept of jailing and stance cancelling. I put her down as a poor pressure character due to her strings hitting so high and learned a few other characters. Ended up on Kabal and now that Sonya seems relatively easier. So I picked her back up. Totally not aware she was getting so much heat. I didn't even know she placed so high on the tier lists. Meh, fuck it.

In my opinion, the top 3 characters in this game are:

- Kabal
- Kitana
- Kenshi

People will start fearing Kenshi as more people play him. Pig of the Hut, King Hippo, Teef and Mayo play him at a very high level. His shoulder is the best counter-poke in the game.

Sonya probably sits somewhere between 5-9 on the tier-list, but the tier-list is condensed enough that I think any top 10 character can do well at tournaments.

There are plenty of very great characters in this game.

You`re welcome. Hey, can i send you some casuals of myself trying sonya? I`d like your input on. And I`m having real trouble getting the military stance to cancel off of the 2 1 string on block. I do 2 1 MS and she just stands there.
Sure I can help, just let me know. Although to be honest, I don't really find 21 xx ms to be all that useful.

How are you trying to work it into your game, and for what purpose?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Sure I can help, just let me know. Although to be honest, I don't really find 21 xx ms to be all that useful.

How are you trying to work it into your game, and for what purpose?
Well see, thats the information I need. I don`t know what smart usage of MS cancels looks like. Off a blocked jump in im doing 2 1 MS and then either cancel into 2 1 again or doing the F1 low punches. I don`t really know how im supposed to be using her block strings mixed with MS.

In my opinion, the top 3 characters in this game are:

- Kabal
- Kitana
- Kenshi

People will start fearing Kenshi as more people play him. Pig of the Hut, King Hippo, Teef and Mayo play him at a very high level. His shoulder is the best counter-poke in the game.

Sonya probably sits somewhere between 5-9 on the tier-list, but the tier-list is condensed enough that I think any top 10 character can do well at tournaments.

There are plenty of very great characters in this game.
Damn... K-Tier (minus Kano)

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Well see, thats the information I need. I don`t know what smart usage of MS cancels looks like. Off a blocked jump in im doing 2 1 MS and then either cancel into 2 1 again or doing the F1 low punches. I don`t really know how im supposed to be using her block strings mixed with MS.
I like B21 off of JIP because if it hits you got yourself a 45% combo into reset. if its blocked i cancel into MS and do F1. Once they prove they can block that, you can MS cancel into throw.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Well, Master D. did not do as well as I thought he would with Sonya at MLG, but Riu48 must currently be the best Sonya player in the MK community. He almost eliminated REO. From what I have seen, the Kabal vs Sonya is at best 6:4 in Kabal's favor.