What's new

So whens that Counter Character guide coming?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have been meaning on working on this with some of the guys, just haven't gotten around to it. It'll happen.

Yea Kitana can be very hard to counter. You can easily counter an Agressive one with a teleporter, but a defensive one is different.

Kitana has Massive zoning and you need to always be aware of where you stand and what's going to happen next. Between the fan and the wave punch, PLUS the excellent run jabs she's a very good character.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
ideally i have found that you can counter any pick with the "holy trinity" which would be kitana, kano, and reptile. its a safe area to hover around when people are stalling for their pick and it gives you 3 strong options in a small area.

but ill do a quick and dirty one based off of what i do:

1. Kabal - teleporters and frontal assault chars like nightwolf and reptile. invis also counters an aggro kabal.

2. Human Smoke - have to capitalize on rare mistakes, so, kabal and rsmoke specifically.

3. Kung Lao - his main offense is mitigated by airthrows.

4. Kano - high frontal assault, but he counters nightwolf as a sweeper. reptile.

5. Reptile - teleports mitigate his high frontal offense

6. Ermac - kitana is good vs. any teleporter due to her easy 50% punisher. she can also do timed air fans to catch ninjas teleporting out of jumpkick block stuns.

7. Nightwolf - sweepers and crossup artists like kitana.

8. Robo Smoke - kabal to punish blocked spears and blocked teleports.

9. Sindel - reptile's frontal assault.

10. Jax - again, reptile. orb that shit down.

11. Sonya - orbs.

12. Kitana - kabal kills her crossup game.

13. Stryker - hsmoke for big combos.

14. Scorpion - same as ermac.

15. Unmasked Sub-Zero - i like kano here. sweeping under freezes and punishing slides w/ the knee combo.
16. Jade - nightwolf.

17. Liu Kang - reptile takes this one easy. its almost free.

18. Sektor - cant really come up for a hard counter on this one.

19. Classic Sub-Zero - same as usub

20. Cyrax - sub zero for calling nets w/ freeze.

21. Shang Tsung - if shang never morphed he could be hard countered by reptile.

22. Mileena - high dmg punisher combos eat'er up.

23. Sheeva - usub for calling stomps w/ the clone.

again this is quick and dirty, and i left some of my own secret counters out, but you should get an idea

Kabal - teleporters and frontal assault chars like nightwolf and reptile. invis also counters an aggro kabal.

Human Smoke - have to capitalize on rare mistakes, so, kabal and rsmoke specifically.

also front assault characters like ermac, night wolf (are good against)

Kung Lao - his main offense is mitigated by airthrows.
That almost made sence. Good offensive person is someone with projectiles and can also move, like lui kang, reptile, sub zero

Kano - high frontal assault, but he counters nightwolf as a sweeper. reptile.

Reptile - teleports mitigate his high frontal offense

Ermac - kitana is good vs. any teleporter due to her easy 50% punisher. she can also do timed air fans to catch ninjas teleporting out of jumpkick block stuns.

Nightwolf - sweepers and crossup artists like kitana.

Robo Smoke - kabal to punish blocked spears and blocked teleports.

Sindel - reptile's frontal assault.

Jax - again, reptile. orb that shit down.

Sonya - orbs.

Kitana - kabal kills her crossup game.

Stryker - hsmoke for big combos.

Scorpion - same as ermac.
Anyone who has a stun move. See: Sindels punisher

Unmasked Sub-Zero - i like kano here. sweeping under freezes and punishing slides w/ the knee combo.
Nightwolf, kitana, someone who is quick, jade also

Jade - nightwolf.
Someone with a good frontal offence; human smoke if your good, ermac, reptile if you can use him

Liu Kang - reptile takes this one easy. its almost free.

Sektor - cant really come up for a hard counter on this one.

Classic Sub-Zero - same as usub

Cyrax - sub zero for calling nets w/ freeze.

Shang Tsung - if shang never morphed he could be hard countered by reptile.

Mileena - high dmg punisher combos eat'er up.

Sheeva - usub for calling stomps w/ the clone.

added some

x099x

Noob
I disagree with Nightwolf being a Kabal counter.. Kabal rips Nightwolf a new one with air fireball spamming and spins after a whiffed axe. Also, I think Nightwolf is a good Reptile counter due to the fact that he can reflect one of Reptile's main sources of comboing.

x099x said:
I disagree with Nightwolf being a Kabal counter.. Kabal rips Nightwolf a new one with air fireball spamming and spins after a whiffed axe. Also, I think Nightwolf is a good Reptile counter due to the fact that he can reflect one of Reptile's main sources of comboing.
Your Nightwolf tore my Kabal a new asshole.. :? I say Nightwolf is a Good Kabal counter, because his moves have a fast recovery, allowing less time for a spin to go off, and his stomp beats out alot of Kabal's normal rush counters, which is probably true for more than just Kabal. His Shoulder Tackle can beat out the spin at times as well, in my expirience more times than many.

x099x said:
I have to disagree with the Nightwolf as a counter for Reptile. I'm not sure if I just play Reptile incorrectly, but I rarely throw out forceballs. And besides, if he reflects it you can just block the fb and then when he runs in just block his combo. I'm probably wrong (as usual) but yeah.

Here's Mine

Kabal - Depending on how the other person is playing. Teleporters or Someone who Rushes Very very fast. H smoke is probably the best counter.

Human Smoke - Not every many since he is a well balanced character. Ermac to capitalize on the telepunches and Someone who CANT be juggles well. Robots, Sheeva, and Lui Kang.

Kung Lao - Someone with a good Air throw, or someone with a good uppercut to capitalize on those teleports. Fast person as well could take him. Cant be juggled easily, so H smoke is NOT a good counter.

Kano - Kitana and reptile. Watch the Cannon balls. H smoke is good as well, to punish the cannon balls.

Reptile - ANYONE with a teleport desecrates Reptile.

Ermac - Punish the Teleports, and capitalize on the Snuffed TKS.

Nightwolf - UnSub. Unsub. Unsub. Play smart, and get him into the clone. Cross uppers like kitana. Reptile CAN work, but you need to play very smartly..

Robo Smoke - Kabal Kabal Kabal.

Sindel - Reptile, and H smoke. Either get around the Scream, or Orb her untill she cant move.

Jax - Reptile as well. Not only is he EASILY Juggled, but Orbs also can easily keep him locked.

Sonya - Un Sub, and bait her. WATCH the Leg Grab and ALWAYS assume it's coming.

Kitana - kabal kills her crossup game. (agreed)

Stryker - hsmoke for big combos. (same)

Scorpion - same as ermac.(same)
Anyone who has a stun move. See: Sindels punisher

Unmasked Sub-Zero - i like kano here. sweeping under freezes and punishing slides w/ the knee combo.
Nightwolf, kitana, someone who is quick, jade also(agreed, with jade being the best one)

Jade - nightwolf.
Someone with a good frontal offence; human smoke if your good, ermac, reptile if you can use him(agreed, but subtract reptile. She will run right through those forceballs.

Liu Kang - reptile takes this one easy. its almost free.(mhm)

Sektor - Kabal. Go for the relaunch, or just counter the homings with a spin. Watch the telepunches, and make sure he can't get those missles out.

Classic Sub-Zero - Kitana. She's fast, and wont get caught up in the freeze. lack of an ice clone makes jumping in not very risky. Reptile can work too. Watch the slide as reptile(use invisibility) and as kitana stay in the air to avoid that fast slide.

Cyrax - Easily Kabal. Counter the Net with low air fireballs. Counter the Bombs with a spin. Its no contest.

Shang Tsung - if shang never morphed he could be hard countered by reptile.(agreed)

Mileena -Reptile hitss her every where. Stops the rolls, and a quick reptile can shut her down. Any teleporter as well.

Sheeva - usub for calling stomps w/ the clone.(agreed, + Kabal)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm seeing more and more "counter" posts now. I'm guessing you guys are really pushing for full counter strategy guides? I guess we'll have to get to work on them, I'll talk with Lex and see if he wants to get something together. Otherwise, obviously you can't just summarize a counter to an entire character with one sentence like he said.

Also, side note, Nightwolf is a great counter to Kabal:

http://ultimatemk.com/matchvids/misc/mklvslex_9.avi

Lex vs Bill

Before anyone says "That Kabal player sucked." just remember, you wouldn't have beated him. :twisted:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Either is possible to connect vs Kabal in that combo, I think Lex used a HP.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
nightwolf is the only character that can beat someone with 92 seconds left on the clock.

Any character that teleports is hard for Kitana.

Because she loses control at that point.

Kitana vs Kabal is actually not a bad match up at all(besides the usual "it's kabal dammit" advantages, obviously) because Kitana knows there's only one way Kabal can reach her.

Teleporters it's a different story, their movement options are variable. I guess this is why Kitana's teleport punishing is such a HUGE necessity, too bad playing on Live you can hardly even do the shit.