What's new

So, what are the "Shotos" of MK game?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I mean, in Street Fighter we have the characters called Shotos, which are the ones with a dragon punch, hurricane kick and a fire ball, Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Evil Ryu, Sakura and Dan are considered Shotos, so that is like a standard archtype in street fighter.

Now if we look at MK game which characters would you consider to be the "Shotos" of MK, i mean of course they don't have a fireball, hurricane and dragon punch, but which characters in MK do you think have a standard style which can be compared to street fighter?

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
There isnt one. About 50 years ago when the ninjas were all palatte swaps they would fit that description. But even tho some people still call them that, they havent been swaps for a long time and besides 3 of them having a slide, are completely different. Just having a ninja mask coverin g their face doesnt count to me. Also Ermac doesnt even count as a ninja to me anymore with his MKX look.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Yea even though I hate the ninjas, none of them play alike or have close to a similar enough moveset. So I say MK doesn't have any.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The great thing about MK is that you aren't gonna be playing a character that is like another character.

The only time i would even consider something like this.... is when the 3D games came out and they started calling Kabal Movado. So on and so forth.

Different, Different. Different. Different.

Only thing in common was the Ninja suit they were wearing.
Well Human Smoke basically stole all of Scorpion's moves in UMK3 and the only difference was that Smoke had a popup combo. Other than that though I don't see how he can say they're similar lol

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
scorpion, smoke, noob saibot, ermac
Also sub zero, rain and reptile. They have the mk1 alt as a throwback but apart from masks covering their mouth in mk9, they really look different. Nowhere close to the Gi from SF. UMK3 as another poster said was the last palatte swap hurrah. People seem to still not be over it.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
this shit right here is why it baffles me that people complain about the Cage family...NRS games don't have this everyone play the same crap do stop acting like it's going to start now...

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
It's a tough question really. MK was built on having universal movesets with different properties and specials amongst them to make the characters stand out, so they've never really gone the route of having a character with just a superior moveset and the same moves. The closest you could argue is probably Scorpion/Human Smoke, but other than that I would say MK has generally avoided having characters with the same move-set and specials. This is a great thing.

haketh

Noob
Can we stop talking like the shotos played anything alike?

On topic the closest thing you would get for shotos in MK nowadays are the base three ninjas & it's a huge stretch.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
So few characters have ever shared moves in MK, it's the total opposite of the palette-swap. The few moves that are shared in MK9 would be the Slide (Reptile and SZ with Noob's being different enough), the Shadow Kick (with Jade and Cage), the Divekick (CSZ, Kung Lao and Sonya) and the telepunch (Ermac and Scorpion). Even moves that are aesthetically similar, like Rain and Nightwolf's Lightning, are different in function