What's new

Question - Sonya Blade So i need help

So me and my buddies play mostly online (Dont have a chance for us to really meet up offline due to work schedules and such).
And one of the guys i play against mains sonya. Now, i know that you cant really judge anything based off online or anything, but i havent come up with a way to stop him yet.

Her divekick lets her get in from anywhere on the map, and even when its blocked, i still cant get a strong punish combo in. Is her divekick completely safe even on block?
Second, once she gets in, her D3 allows her to completely destroy my pressure or anything really. Her D3 blows up all of my pokes, armor, it seems like everything.

It seems like her D3 gives her infinite frame trap, and when i block low to stop it, she has almost an instant overhead combo starter. What can i do to stop her?

SaibotMk

Adrenaline
At first, I was like hes got to be talking about MK9 Sonya. The question is who are you playing as?

If you know what her overhead looks like then I don't know what to tell you. Your character should have a quick enough poke to get out, or a EX move. Yea you should tell everyone who you are playing as against Sonya, that will probably help everyone help you out more.

Last edited:

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
She's very aggravating to fight I know because my friend mains her too.

They also mash the flying kick that starts on the ground as a wake up and it's annoying.

The dive kick is punishable it's just hard. With reptile it's not so much. This character has mix ups that lead into mixups and it's nuts.

I win solely because I can limit her space of moment with reptile. You NEED TO LIMIT HER SPACE. Try to limit the space. Backdash on wake up quite a bit until they start catching it. Air to air their dive kicks and flying kicks is needed.

Go to practice with her and figure out what all is punishable and start punishing it. You might wanna save meter and armor through her God like knock down game

Ive even tried grandmaster to try and control the pace, but it just seems she can armor straight in, and once she gets on top of me, The D3's start coming out and it completely snuffs my wakeup attacks, blocks ETC....I know it sounds like im absolutely terrible ha, but i cant stop her leg kick game. And as soon as i say "Okay, ill just block low" Thats when she goes straight into her overhead string or her high low string, or even just a straight up cartwheel.
Ive also tried to zone her out, but it seems she wins that battle too.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
So me and my buddies play mostly online (Dont have a chance for us to really meet up offline due to work schedules and such).
And one of the guys i play against mains sonya. Now, i know that you cant really judge anything based off online or anything, but i havent come up with a way to stop him yet.

Her divekick lets her get in from anywhere on the map, and even when its blocked, i still cant get a strong punish combo in. Is her divekick completely safe even on block?
Second, once she gets in, her D3 allows her to completely destroy my pressure or anything really. Her D3 blows up all of my pokes, armor, it seems like everything.

It seems like her D3 gives her infinite frame trap, and when i block low to stop it, she has almost an instant overhead combo starter. What can i do to stop her?
1. Her divekick is very negative on block, but basically safe on whiff. It's a bit weird to punish (especially online) but you can blow it up by using whatever fast normal as soon as you see her hit you blocking.
2. Her d3 is negative on block, if you block it, you can d3 back in response (hold block and mash d3, it should come out) and blow up any further pokes.

Last edited:

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Ive even tried grandmaster to try and control the pace, but it just seems she can armor straight in, and once she gets on top of me, The D3's start coming out and it completely snuffs my wakeup attacks, blocks ETC....I know it sounds like im absolutely terrible ha, but i cant stop her leg kick game. And as soon as i say "Okay, ill just block low" Thats when she goes straight into her overhead string or her high low string, or even just a straight up cartwheel.
If it cost her a bar even time do it. You need to make her feel awkward about abusing her divekick and what not.
Who's your main I can help more if I knew

SaibotMk

Adrenaline
If your playing as Sub Zero in grandmaster, you definitely should just stay away, and if you know her moves (what hits what), then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe your connection, who knows. Every character has only so many strings, and starters. Its like a NJP, or Jump In, you can only block it standing. While a standing starter can be faster, sounds like you just need more practice. Make better use of your EX moves, grab more, poke back, your options are their, just practice.

Sonya was more annoying to me in MK9, but Mileena, my main is much better vs Sonya in this game. So Sonya, may not necessarily be less or more annoying, but my character has more answers vs her this time around.

Get in training mode like others said against Sonya, practice blocking her strings, etc. You will get it. MKX training mode is ridiculous (in a good way).

Last edited:
As a Sonya player ... I find it very hard to get in on really good zoners. Not so much Kitana... but definitely a good SZ or Reptile main.

Wigy

There it is...
its a guessing game up close from her d4 and b24 string, just gotta keep out of that range best you can blow up her d4 when do u block it by poking back then going into your own string. You should also try bait her dive kick cause its an easy punish, all her wakeups are also full punish on block pretty much.

Grandmaster wins the projectile trade game, just stay behind your clone all game and spam ice balls. Her only option is trading projectiles which she will loose in damage wise.

Make your movement as unpredictable as possible lots of backdashes to whiff punish her d4 with any fast advancing strings.

Im fairly sure all her combo starting strings end negative so after you've blocked grab her or go in for pressure.

If you're ps4 i can show you some stuff. Message me if so

Dedlock

Noob
As a Sonya player I'm reluctant to help because we have a hard enough time as it is, but here are some pointers dive kick can almost always be interrupted by a well timed uppercut/anti air move before she even reaches you, if the divekick is heading towards your head then just time your uppercut to interrupt the move. if its a lower placed divekick then just block and use your fasted rangiest low poke to throw us us off.

I mean her dive kick has nothing on Kung Jins dive kick, and it has not bar version to be more threatening and confusing.

Instead of creating another thread i'm just going to post here. I have read everything written.

I play Hellfire Scorpion and if i can read her divekick I just burn her as she lands and get a combo or at least some pressure. I am having a lot of trouble once she does get in though. When she does her overhead low military stance cartwheel. Is that punishable? I also have the hardest time blocking it because it is so fast. I block the overhead and am going into the low block but she catches me every time. Sonya is like the only character I have trouble against consistently.

Also, sometimes I feel like she is stopping me from waking up. Wtf!

Dedlock

Noob
To all scorpion players having problems
with covert ops Sonya, choose inferno scorpion and demon drop and grab her to an oblivion.

What character do you play? Stuff like punishing dive-uh-keeek is pretty character specific.

D3 is negative on block, but not so negative that you can throw anything out right afterwards on block. You should be using your fastest poke if you want to 'check her'. Use whatever's fastest.

Alot of Sonya's (me) like to d3 then go into b1 (overhead starter) don't get so psyched out about taking repeated hits to your ankle that you fall for this mental trap. It's pretty important that you do this. Sonya's b14 combo starter has good advancing properties, but her b33 doesn't. If she has you blocking low all day and knows she can just open you up with her overhead, your backdash isn't a threat (b33 tends to be a bit weak to backdashes).

For repeated mashing of d3's, you should be able to interrupt it with any character. I'm not sure of one that can't interrupt a subsequent d3 after a blocked one. You certainly don't want to waste armor countering her d3's.