What's new

So, has it helped?

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
just wondering if any of you quan chi users feel happy with the enhanced sky drop now, has it been a good change or has it not helped him much?

I dont think it really helps.. one can still just bait the skydrop and duck and block and he will get punished if he lands on you or behind you ;/

Agreed but at least now we have a better option to get out of corner pressure Combos and a quick "away" from rushdown character's then just an undercut.
Plus at least now we can say we have a wake up LOL

Yeah, don't think it does very much... best thing I can think of is using it for is if you're jumping and about to get hit by a projectile if normal Sky Drop would just get hit by it anyway. Depends on how slow the projectile's recovery is I guess, or perhaps it'd be better for avoiding combos off spear and the like.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
At first I was just excited to have one armor attack, aside from an xray, but now I'm a little iffy on it. At least, it's something, but I'm more excited about this....

Several low attacks were being parried incorrectly.
This will end some frustration against CSZ

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
It should stop it from being game over if your trapped in the corner against JC or a rushdown char I guess.

Jericho

The most complete fighter
At first I thought the same thing as everyone else. "At least we got a wake-up option". But I still think they could've given him a different property with the skydrop. It's too punishable and with the armor on it now, we're safe for one hit and when blocked, we're imitating Kano or Blanka from Street Fighter for a while. What I think should have happened was if the EH skydrop was whiffed or blocked, let him drop like normally instead of the whole spinny ball thing. That or give him something fun and broken and put armor on EH trance :evilgrin:

Error

DF2+R2
• Wakeup attacks should have better invulnerability on them if done in the first 4 frames of the wakeup window. (this was added as a hotfix tweakable value)
hopefully this will protect Quan Chi's big head during wake-up sky drop.

I'm not noticing a lot of difference. The only way it helps is if your opponent is already throwing something out AS you wake up. Otherwise, it's easy to block and punish. And the longer wake-up window doesn't seem nearly long enough to cover regular Sky Drop, either. In a stream chat a week or two ago, I asked pako why Quan was just getting this change that most of the community regards as useless, and he said (paraphrasing) that it's because they feel Quan is mostly fine and just needs a few minor tweaks. :/

If they made it safe on block then it would change but right now. Wasting meter to get out safe from wake up seems kinda BS.

In a stream chat a week or two ago, I asked pako why Quan was just getting this change that most of the community regards as useless, and he said (paraphrasing) that it's because they feel Quan is mostly fine and just needs a few minor tweaks. :/
Well...

I'm not sure how much I agree with that. I wouldn't call them minor, exactly, but it's not as if major changes are required.

Warplay

Noob
The enhanced Sky Drop is just plain beautiful. It's the only buff I wanted to see for Quan Chi. People who are saying it doesn't help much just use their Sky Drops too often. You have to use it for the jumping types and pressure fighters. Quan Chi was just completely owned by anyone who just rushed you down and attack you on Wake-Up, now that is a thing of the past. To me, this is a minor enhancement that makes a world of difference when it comes to his previous disadvantage.

I just AA'd someone with 4. I noticed that its faster after the patch ^-^
It is, but why not just uppercut? I guess you could do 4 xx Ground Burst (mid) for 2% more damage and a bit of meter, but its still much slower than uppercut, and the hitbox on uppercut seems preferrable to me. If you could do 4 xx Trance, that'd be sick, but that only works when the opponent is at about max jump height, and considering the speed of 4 still isn't very fast, it won't really ever work.

The enhanced Sky Drop is just plain beautiful. It's the only buff I wanted to see for Quan Chi. People who are saying it doesn't help much just use their Sky Drops too often. You have to use it for the jumping types and pressure fighters. Quan Chi was just completely owned by anyone who just rushed you down and attack you on Wake-Up, now that is a thing of the past. To me, this is a minor enhancement that makes a world of difference when it comes to his previous disadvantage.
Youre dead on with this. Sky drop is an ANTI AIR move, nothing more. When you use it as such, people wont see the wake up coming. And it prevents combo spammers like liu kang from just hovering over you like before.

Error

DF2+R2
It is, but why not just uppercut? I guess you could do 4 xx Ground Burst (mid) for 2% more damage and a bit of meter, but its still much slower than uppercut, and the hitbox on uppercut seems preferrable to me. If you could do 4 xx Trance, that'd be sick, but that only works when the opponent is at about max jump height, and considering the speed of 4 still isn't very fast, it won't really ever work.
Depending on the timing you can get a 4xxtrance.