What's new

Smoke, the enenra. WARNING: STORY SPOILERS

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Thanks to The Kombat Tethers's complete rundown of chapter 1 we know the cameos that'll appear early in the game. Most of the undead characters that died in Mk9 seem to be more like mindless drones, but as you could see in this passage from The Kombat Tether, Smoke actually goes out of his way to have some dialogue.

"Meanwhile, we see Sonya, Johnny and Kenshi enter an unnamed forest area. It is here that they are confronted by revenant Nightwolf, Jax and Smoke. Nightwolf commands a band of Oni to attack a group of Special Forces soldiers whilst Smoke (In a masked, new costume) engages Johnny Cage in Kombat, declaring "Smoke is dead, I am an enenra!"-"
---------------------------------------------

Enenra Definition:

An enenra (煙々羅 en'enra, lit. "lightweight-fabric smoke") is a yōkai, or Japanese monster, composed of smoke. It resides in bonfires and, when it emerges, it takes the form of a human. It is said that an enenra can only be seen by the pure of heart.
The character 羅 in the enenra's name is meant to draw a comparison between the enenra and the lofty characteristics of lightweight cloth.
-----------------------------------------------

My mind can't help but wonder why NRS would decide to put this in the game without any further explanation, not to mention the new outfit too.

What could this mean for Smoke in the story later on and could this even slightly hint at him playable in revenant, human, or cyborg form? Could Smoke be Quan Chi's new Noob Saibot?

Edit:

His Mk9 Ending actually expands on why he is an enenra too.

Source: http://thekombattether.com/forums/forum/mortal-kombat-x/mortal-kombat-x-discussion/730-exclusive-mortal-kombat-x-story-mode-preview-spoilers

Last edited:

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
With Smoke having a new outfit AND a new story background with the Enenra taking over

i can see him being playable or at least being one of the DLC characters.

Hope its not just a easter egg from his MK9 ending.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
With Smoke having a new outfit AND a new story background with the Enenra taking over

i can see him being playable or at least being one of the DLC characters.

Hope its not just a easter egg from his MK9 ending.
Apparently there's two klassic kombatants so I'm hoping that includes Smoke if he doesn't make the final cut :)

*googles enenra*
Lol he put the denotation of enenra in the OP xD

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
wouldn't Enenra being "alive" confirm that Smoke is dead?

Wasn't smoked like... "given" the spirit of the Enenra.... and now it is free ... and using his body...

poor smoke.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Because it was a previous character in past MK games... and they could easily go the noob smoke route if quan chi has control over smoke and bi-hans souls. I thought sub would be a restored bi-han but it appears to be kuai liang some how. Not really sure though.

xX_Atrocitus_Xx

Blood & Rage
Because it was a previous character in past MK games... and they could easily go the noob smoke route if quan chi has control over smoke and bi-hans souls. I thought sub would be a restored bi-han but it appears to be kuai liang some how. Not really sure though.
Soulnado tho noob is dead dead X_X

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
That would either mean that initial roster count has been altered or Lui Kang won't be shipping with the final version of the game.

DLC is more likely.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
If we gonna have Noob only when it's again Noob/Smoke combo - so be it. I love them both. Plus see no reason why they couldn't be divided between variation: one for Noob, one for Smoke and one for something tagish... I don't know. All I know MK X without them will feel sorta... incomplete.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I really hope smoke is playable, i can imagine him on some akuma to oni type shit where his powers are at their ultimate.