What's new

Shujinko vs Taven

Choose Your Destiny

• Total voters
Shujinko, easy. Even if Taven is a demigod, he still don't stand a chance against a dude that absorbs some of the power of every kombatant (human or otherwise) he encounters.

The Armageddon intro isn't canon anymore :DOGE
It is,actually. The way bodies are placed in Mk9 intro prove that. It's just the writers are so fucking stupid to say "Taven killed Blaze and made other fighters stronger which ended with Shao Kahn killing Taven and taking his power" they went with "Taven who? Shao Kahn killed Blaze".

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Shujinko all the way. As a player, we are introduced to all the events of his life, while Taven's quest was, at best, a couple months long - this is enough to make Shujinko infinitely more relatable and fleshed-out as a character, even though his personality is quite bland, honestly (but then, so is Taven's).

We see him play around his childhood neighborhood, then go to all the various realms, interacting with lots of characters and witnessing all the tangent events from MK since before MK1 in an interesting way that doesn't retcon nor disrupt the main narrative, but instead ADDS depth to it. He also serves as a way to finally introduce Onaga, who was hinted at in the previous game, and just how powerful and manipulative he is - as Shujinko is quite literally collecting elder god-grade tools for him throughout years.

Meanwhile, Taven's story is somewhat shoehorned in the lore and takes a central role without really enriching much of the narrative, basically functioning as a plot device to say "armageddon is happening somehow, someway". There is no tie to the previous game. They could quite simply say "the Kamidogu were the things keeping the realms stable and the One Being dormant and now they are shattered, which means ARMAGEDDON". Instead, they came up with a convoluted plot out of nowhere about 2 brothers and Blaze and whatever.

And, in a way, Shujinko is probably the strongest character overall, ever. He defeated Onaga, which possessed all the Kamidogu at the time, while Shao Kahn himself didn't dare fight Onaga 1vs1, even before he had the Kamidogu, instead having to resort to poisoning. And this brings another interesting discussion: how did Onaga get defeated by Shao Kahn in armageddon? And how did Shujinko, of all people, got imprisioned? Which mostly can be explained as bad writing.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I prefer Shujinko because he isn't some "chosen one, mmmm daddy gave me all my powahs". I liked that Shujinko was pretty much a playable Mortal Kombat fan. He geeked out on meeting all these MK characters, and learned to fight from them. I loved how most of the training sessions in Deception have context too, and some actually take decades of his life to master.

It is,actually. The way bodies are placed in Mk9 intro prove that. It's just the writers are so fucking stupid to say "Taven killed Blaze and made other fighters stronger which ended with Shao Kahn killing Taven and taking his power" they went with "Taven who? Shao Kahn killed Blaze".
But doesn't the end of 11 erase all that? And to be fair, Taven was a bit of a dud lol

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
And, in a way, Shujinko is probably the strongest character overall, ever. He defeated Onaga, which possessed all the Kamidogu at the time, while Shao Kahn himself didn't dare fight Onaga 1vs1, even before he had the Kamidogu, instead having to resort to poisoning. And this brings another interesting discussion: how did Onaga get defeated by Shao Kahn in armageddon? And how did Shujinko, of all people, got imprisioned? Which mostly can be explained as bad writing.
Yeah, because of that thing of absorbing other people's powers, he has the potential to be stronger than any other MK character.
Regarding his imprisonment, I think he tells Taven he allowed himself to be caught on purpose.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Yeah, because of that thing of absorbing other people's powers, he has the potential to be stronger than any other MK character.
Regarding his imprisonment, I think he tells Taven he allowed himself to be caught on purpose.
I do remember him saying he got an invitation from "Kitana" (Mileena in disguise) to celebrate his heroic acts after defeating Onaga and fully knowing it was a trap (in his armageddon bio).