What's new

Should we add a entry fee to our weeklies?

Should we add a entry fee to our weeklies?

• Total voters

pherleece

Woolay
I decided to make a separate thread about this rather than having this discussion in the GBS thread.

**DISCLAIMER** I have no authority or power over the weeklies/monthly events at Bluplanet Comics. I'm simply someone who attends the events and just giving my opinion on a past discussion. All decisions are made by AJ aka @RapZiLLa54

So in the facebook group for our weeklies/monthly gathering, we were asked if adding a $5-$10 entry fee to our weekly tournaments would entice more players to show up.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that REO is the one who mentioned this idea because he thinks more people would come out if they have something to play for and possibly make a few dollars.

I respectfully disagree because we had VSM weeklies and never had a paid tournament (and usually not one at all) and we all came out and we were considered the best region at the time. We didnt need a snall sum of money to motivate us to get better and I don't see why now a money incentive would change things.

It would cost a minimum of $60 to attend every weekly and monthly and that is still a pretty hefty investment. (REO I love you but I dont wanna hand over $20 over to you per month lol)

Another thing that was mentioned in the FB group when I didnt agree with the idea of adding a pot, was that attendees is more important than viewers which I do agree to a point but both go hand in hand. Remember after months of successful VSM gatherings, @995 would miss a week here and there and that meant no stream. Our attendance dropped to less than 5 people. This really doesnt need to be discussed but I just wanted to add this info in.

This is the part of the GBS thread I was referring to:
"Even if you have never been to a tournament before, coming out to an event like this is a great way to get your feet wet in the competitive scene for a low cost (5.00 venue fee) and test your skills in smaller scale event before heading to a Major tournament like UFGT (where venue and tournament fees can reach 40-50 easily). Players of every skill level will be in attendance; don't feel like you have to be great (or even good) to participate. Although these are technically competitions, these weeklies are also to assess your level of gameplay, improve your skills if you want to (and if you don't, that's fine) and meet others of similar interests." Credit: @GGA HAN

I'm not saying let's just copy what GBS does but I do feel they have the right idea.

I just want to reiterate that this is my opinion. I wrote this on my phone so please forgive me if I wrote something incorrectly or out of place

So lets discuss!

@RapZiLLa54
@9.95
@REO
@SwiftTomHanks
@Insuperable
@G4S Claude VonStroke
@G4S KT Smith
@Maxter
@Shock
@KDZ
@DarthArma

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
The turnouts at AKA never seemed to be affected by money being on the line but it did feel like a bigger deal to everyone when there was. I say give it a try and see what happens. It might increase attendence and worst case you just change it back to the free tourney.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
I feel that adding money to a prize pot and having everyone pay into it might do a few things:

1) Better players that have a chance of winning it all will be more tempted to come out and generally have no problem with the entry fees.

2) Players that are there to level up and get exposed to the experience of attending tourneys for the first time and get over their nerves...are less likely to by willing to do the extra fee.

3) You will absolutely scare off beginners, they will see it as a waste of $ most of the time.

Last edited:

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Start off with doing a couple bucka and see how it goes. Maybe $2 or so. If people.show an interest maybe up the entry if people show am.interest. You'll have to experiment a little.

REO

Undead
I really don't see what the big deal is with having it be five bucks for tournament entry. If you don't want to pay five bucks, then you don't have to. No one is forcing you to play in the specific tournament. Casuals at BPK start at 6:00 PM and end at 1:00 or 2:00 AM. That's potentially EIGHT hours of casuals you can get in if you show up on the clock. Do you know how much some LAN centers would charge for these hours? We are lucky and should be appreciative we have it at such a bargain.

Plus, we he have MK9 and MKT tournaments every week for FREE. If players want to sharpen their tournament nerves, or get used to how it feels to play with tournament rules, they can do so in these two games for free.

And honestly, you can't really compare GGA with BPK. I'm sure many of those guys don't have to pay 30 bucks for a round trip ticket every time they go there like most of our NYC guys do. I also don't think they have to drop $25 on tolls to get to GGA like our NJ guys do. When you think about the area differences, it's almost apples and oranges. I could be wrong about Chicago transit, but I know for a fact public transit in NY is not cheap.

At the end of the day, having a potential payout causes more of the better players in the area to come out. Why would serious top player X want to spend $30 bucks to travel to a location just to play casuals with players who may possibly opt to just fool around since there's nothing on the line. Wouldn't serious top player X just spend the money (or maybe not much money at all) to go to another top player's house and get the ideal training he's looking for?

Tournaments that have something on the line force players to play better. They get rid of all the goofy side characters, and gimmick hunting extravaganzas. They cause players to play with their best cards on the table. It also gets rid of the annoying option select of someone having to go "oh i wast trying, it was just casuals tourney". Plus, it's awesome to see how salty people get when they lose when they really gave it their all. It just further fuels their hunger to come back stronger.

@pherleece, I love you so don't take any of this as "harsh". It's just my opinion.

pherleece

Woolay
@R.E.O.

i don't think its harsh, its your opinion and that's cool but i don't agree. we never had a problem with any of this before back in the VSM days and honestly the location is further away from us in the city compared to Valley Stream. I think the ride is kinda far one way there and I pay $0 in tolls. i have many things to say to your response but i rather not get too far into it at this point i just say try it out and we'll see what happens. i do just want to say that this has nothing to do with me PERSONALLY at all cause either way i wouldn't be entering since i dont need money on the line to try my hardest and try to level up as much as i can in the time allotted to me. it isnt a gamble for me worth taking.