What's new

Should NRS begin a legacy curve with MKX?

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
For those who don't know, a legacy curve is where future iterations of a game carry a majority of the gameplay mechanics over from past iterations so long-time players can pretty much keep doing what they've been doing. Street Fighter has done this for a long time, especially with 4.

I bring this up because this is the start of a new gaming gen. MK9 was released near the tail end of the last gen, so it didn't really make a whole lot of sense to do this. Do you guys think this is something NRS should do now that they have an entire gaming generation to flesh out MKX's mechanics? Would you want NRS to completely start over with MK11 like they've been doing?

Edit: Basically, would rather have UMKX or MK11

Last edited:

SZSR

Noob
To be frank, that's not an MK sort of thing. Boon always says he doesn't want to keep a stagnant game, and even though he likes games like Tekken and SF, he has been critical of the idea of keeping the same system throughout a series.

CRKFIEND

Noob
They won't...
They shouldn't.

I only bought the original SF4 because I felt ripped off by the next few releases. Same goes for Call of Duty... You can only rehash the same game without adding features so many times before the fan gets annoyed.

NRS is in a very lucky position. It doesn't take much effort to put forth a captivating fighter. Sure balance takes some time, but hear me out:

Most games like GTA craft entire cities... fighters have to craft like 20-or-so backgrounds and a handful of Jamoke's to punch around. Seriously, the mechanics of a fighting game are what, 20-something years old?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
id like to see how it feels when im playing it myself before casting my vote. i think if they were gonna do that... shoulda been with mk9

d3v

SRK
For those who don't know, a legacy curve is where future iterations of a game carry a majority of the gameplay mechanics over from past iterations so long-time players can pretty much keep doing what they've been doing. Street Fighter has done this for a long time, especially with 4.
What the fuck am I reading? Each numbered iteration (or series) of Street Fighter plays nothing like the last. They practically reinvent the wheel every time they make a new iteration.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
What the fuck am I reading? Each numbered iteration (or series) of Street Fighter plays nothing like the last. They practically reinvent the wheel every time they make a new iteration.
I should have been more clear. I was referring to the iterations in each numerical SF game. SF2, SSF2, Turbo, etc

Worked for Tekken, right?

If that's ambiguous, my answer is no.

Legacy curves just cater to veterans for their own sake. It get's ridiculous to the point of veterans demanding that a game be similar with every iteration, just so they are comfortable they'll be able to get easy wins against newcomers when the next game comes out.

I mean, at the moment I'm totally ready to drop my old main- Sub Zero, for a new character I've never even seen before (FaraTorr), and I'm completely happy with this.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying that instead of MKX you wanted what would essentially be UMK9.

My bad!
It's cool. I love that NRS experiments, but I wish they would focus more on refining and perfecting what they've already done. I'm hyped as hell for MKX, and I hope they expand on it more with future iterations as well.