Should command grabs be unblockable?

• Yes

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 19.5%

• Total voters

Flagg

Noob
You can't block Sheevas low grab even if you are blocking low.

She had the only true command grab in the game.

Oogalord

Noob
One of the things I really like about Injustice is how NRS really got a handle on the "grappler" character. IGAU's grapplers are totally viable, IMO moreso than most Capcom games.

Untechable, unblockable throws are the whole point of grapplers. "But Cyrax in MK9" So what? That was MK9, which we all know has it's flaws. Does utterly broken Cyrax having a command grab in MK9 make it so grapplers have to be gimped from here on out?

"But the block button" Again, so what? Jump the throw (try straight up!) and punish, just like any other fighting game. It works in Injustice, too. How does the block button necessitate command throws be blockable? If you can block command grabs, even if they're safe, you're removing the main threat a grappler poses once they get in.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Depends on the term "throw" and the character they are assigned too. With the pressure system MK has they can become pretty OP. Imagine if Johnny Cage had Cyrax's command grab.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
How does Injustice have "true" command grabs? IMO a "true" command grab wouldn't require you to guess high or low. If Shazam had both command grabs hit mid he would be awesome.

JDM

Noob
Why do you say that? I don't really feel opposed or in support of them either way. But I'm curious why the block button might pose an issue.

MK9 had Sheeva's Low Grab and then you had Kano's and Jax's X-Rays. I would imagine if implemented, command grabs would work like faster, less powerful versions of those.
Because if you're blocking you can't immediately let go of the block button and jump since the block button has recovery frames. So you have to really read the command grab.

what you need to think about is that if MK10 has a block button it will be a lot easier to Command grab people. in most other fighting games that i know of grabs like this had pretty fast start up but short range (except bane lol) and no block button to restrict movement, so you can move back and forth or jump on reaction. with block button it would be pretty dumb unless they are all high's.
Maybe in the next MK they could make it to where you can only walk backwards while blocking just a thought

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'd go one step further and make unblockable throws unable to be absorbed by armored attacks, this includes universal throws. LBSH, ARMORED attacks cant be THROWN because why?

Yes I get that it's a video game so moving on to the gameplay side of things, I believe grapplers would be much more threatening than they are now, aside from Bane who is more of a tank than anything. In Injustice, Grapplers don't have extra health to combat zoning and take risks, the damage they do are on par with non grapplers, despite being on the slow side as well. Make their grabs scary.
Bane has more health than any other character through venom. Grundy touches you once for 50% minimum, shazam has a command grab that reaches far and is very hard to punish as well as great mobility.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
what you need to think about is that if MK10 has a block button it will be a lot easier to Command grab people. in most other fighting games that i know of grabs like this had pretty fast start up but short range (except bane lol) and no block button to restrict movement, so you can move back and forth or jump on reaction. with block button it would be pretty dumb unless they are all high's.
SF throws lol. You won't be reacting to Gief's throws any time soon.

I say put them in, Grundy shows that NRS games need this kind of variety.

OnlineRon91

Joker++
Bane has more health than any other character through venom. Grundy touches you once for 50% minimum, shazam has a command grab that reaches far and is very hard to punish as well as great mobility.
Their grabs are 20+ frames except for shazams whose is position dependent. I still dont see how being strong in one area is enough to compensate the several other areas I mentioned.

Grapplers in other games have 1 frame throws, that cant be armored through, and that have range. And yes, they dont need the grab to win just like these characters (shazam is debateable)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Their grabs are 20+ frames except for shazams whose is position dependent. I still dont see how being strong in one area is enough to compensate the several other areas I mentioned.

Grapplers in other games have 1 frame throws, that cant be armored through, and that have range. And yes, they dont need the grab to win just like these characters (shazam is debateable)
Yet they don't really struggle, except grundy.

Grapplers in other games follow other rules, like actual footsies for every character, invincibility and other things. Gief doesn't have armour on his SPD, nor does he get in for free like Bane, have the mobility of Shazam or the damage of Grundy.

OnlineRon91

Joker++
Yet they don't really struggle, except grundy.

Grapplers in other games follow other rules, like actual footsies for every character, invincibility and other things. Gief doesn't have armour on his SPD, nor does he get in for free like Bane, have the mobility of Shazam or the damage of Grundy.
Shazam doesn't have the damage of Grundy or normals of Bane.
Grundy doesn't get in for free like Bane or Shazam or have the normals of Bane

How is this relevant though? Bane is stupid and the rest aren't compensated enough for landing grabs. So yes, I was alluding to Zangief, and my point is he isn't overpowered despite everything I mentioned, dude is like low mid atm.

My other point was that it should be universal, across the board, so everyone would benefit from it. Unless everyone is good with how useless throws are in this game. Aside from only using it to end the round. Naturally, grapplers would benefit more overall.

Bane needs to be toned down regardless of this suggestion, that's besides the point I'm trying to make.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Shazam doesn't have the damage of Grundy or normals of Bane.
Grundy doesn't get in for free like Bane or Shazam or have the normals of Bane

How is this relevant though? Bane is stupid and the rest aren't compensated enough for landing grabs. So yes, I was alluding to Zangief, and my point is he isn't overpowered despite everything I mentioned, dude is like low mid atm.

My other point was that it should be universal, across the board, so everyone would benefit from it. Unless everyone is good with how useless throws are in this game. Aside from only using it to end the round. Naturally, grapplers would benefit more overall.

Bane needs to be toned down regardless of this suggestion, that's besides the point I'm trying to make.
My point is that there are many ways to balance a grappler and make him effective. NRS will come up with something if they do add one.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
if he's a grappler

dammit i might have to use him.
I'm personally banking on him being Freddy's doppelganger. They're not going to let that movepool go to waste and since Tremor has never really had his own identity...

Why do you say that? I don't really feel opposed or in support of them either way. But I'm curious why the block button might pose an issue.

MK9 had Sheeva's Low Grab and then you had Kano's and Jax's X-Rays. I would imagine if implemented, command grabs would work like faster, less powerful versions of those.
Block button arguments.

Scorpion in IGAU.

He might even be referring to the shitstorm it would create rather than his personal stance on it lol.