What's new

Should Health and Defense be universal in "tournament mode"?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
So with the inclusion of RPG stats, characters now have different health and defense values.

They also have different STR and Ability, but those two don't really matter as much.

So at level 1, Superman has less health then Atrocitus, but less defense. Obviously it won't stay like this, but it's just an example of how the system is currently.

In the past all NRS games, every character has had the same health value across the board. This does not seem to be the case right now. In other FG's, this varies, some work like MK and have universal values, others like SF, characters can have significant differences. Take for example Akuma in pretty much most SF's has lower health then everyone else, this is used to sorta balance out his really powerful offensive capabilities.

Do you think NRS should have the stats be completely universal for all character in the tournament/gearless mode?
Or should they use it to help balance out characters, allowing them to use it as a trade off for characters having powerful tools and damage?

Defense is a little weird though, depending on what it actually does, if it's just a catch all damage reduction, it should probably just stay universal.
If it effects how much chip damage you take, that could be interesting.

Health variance = fine, as long as there isn't too 'extreme' a difference. In other words, if average health is classed as 100%, I wouldn't really want anyone with more than 110% health, or less than 90%.

As for defense, frankly I have no idea how that would work. If it is a generic damage reduction, how the heck would that tie in with the health lol?

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
If defense works as the value for chip mitigation, I would be interested in it being left live during tournament mode, elsewise I'm not certain how I would feel.

Health variance however I am totally okay with. It makes sense as a way to balance really strong offense to me, though that may be because I'm coming at this from a primarily anime background.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I'd like for same health, different strengths as the baseline for the regular mode. After all, we knew folks like Bane would hit harder than say Green Arrow. However, same health is a good thing IMO. You balance around combo length, mixup viability, and overall mobility/matchup problem ratios.

A baseline needs set though in the main game. It'll take multiple loc-tests though to get this base FGC oriented mode figure out though.