What's new

Should DLC be temporarily banned from tournaments like mk9/inj not mkxl

Should DLC be temporarily banned until further tested?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
There's been a lot of talk about this among players while reflecting on the history of MK9/Injustice and MKXL. One thing that changed overnight without warning was acceptance of all DLC without question at tournaments. As expected this caused a lot of complaints from traveling players but stream monsters were excited to see "brokenness."

I made the tweet earlier and it generated over 150 notifications so I wanted to being the debate and poll here to see where the entire tournament community stands.

The idea is to temporarily ban all DLC until after evo. After evo I would suggest 1-2 months testing to see where each character stands.

IMO, One of the dumbest arguments in favor of allowing DLC from day 1 is "is stream monsters wanna be entertained and see the carnage." Yea that's not gonna fly, I'm curious to see if anyone can give me a good reason why they should be allowed.

Curious to see the debate

There's been a lot of talk about this among players while reflecting on the history of MK9/Injustice and MKXL. One thing that changed overnight without warning was acceptance of all DLC without question at tournaments. As expected this caused a lot of complaints from traveling players but stream monsters were excited to see "brokenness."

I made the tweet earlier and it generated over 150 notifications so I wanted to being the debate and poll here to see where the entire tournament community stands.

The idea is to temporarily ban all DLC until after evo. After evo I would suggest 1-2 months testing to see where each character stands.

IMO, One of the dumbest arguments in favor of allowing DLC from day 1 is "is stream monsters wanna be entertained and see the carnage." Yea that's not gonna fly, I'm curious to see if anyone can give me a good reason why they should be allowed.

Curious to see the debate

CLICK THE CLICK TO EXPAND BUTTON FOR MY POINT

Broke stuff usually gets found in less than a week. If something is found to be broken then it should be banned. 1 to 2 it's excessive, and quite a long time in terms of nrs games.

Broke stuff usually gets found in less than a week. If something is found to be broken then it should be banned. 1 to 2 it's excessive, and quite a long time in terms of nrs games.
this logic is poor. this is how stream monsters justify it. they really don't care and want to see someone get destroyed by brokenness.

it has been 100% the norm since the beginning of dlc to wait a month or so before it is tournament legal.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I'm not someone that plans on traveling to play, so it doesn't affect me personally, but I'll give my opinion.

I see reasonable the idea of 1-2 month ban for dlc to test the waters. Nobody likes to lose vs broke stuff after having spent time+money going to a tourney.

However, we could use the same argument at the beginning of the game too: Aren't all the characters in the roster, day 1, potentially having broke stuff that could be exploited in the same manner in early tourneys? Then, shouldn't we wait 1-2 months to celebrate any kind of tourney after release?

I'm not someone that plans on traveling to play, so it doesn't affect me personally, but I'll give my opinion.

I see reasonable the idea of 1-2 month ban for dlc to test the waters. Nobody likes to lose vs broke stuff after having spent time+money going to a tourney.

However, we could use the argument at the beginning of the game too: Aren't all the characters in the roster, day 1, potentially having broke stuff that could be exploited in the same manner in early tourneys? Then, shouldn't we wait 1-2 months until even celebrating any tourneys after release?
to be real... tournament placings very early in games don't really mean shit for this exact reason. i mean they matter but they don't.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Of course DLC should be banned, 60 days minimum. It's just common sense. If I want to watch weirdos exploit broken shit, I can go to Xvideos and watch an overweight Mexican crush a Twinkie on a girls head while she's slurpin his pink goose.
I had another thought, but there's something I've gotta go watch.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Yes, dlc, ideally should not be allowed for a month or two upon initial release into a tournament. It doesn't matter if they suck or they are good, people need time to adjust to this sort of thing and it takes alot of time to learn the mus from the initial roster anyway.

So my answer is yes.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I don't play in tournaments so I'm not going to vote. I will say that I think it's fair to ban a character for a few weeks just to make sure there's not anything super broken. With that being said, I really don't think any characters should be banned up to potentially 2 months like suggested in the OP. Weeks? Sure. Months? Ehh... I don't know. That might be an overkill, but I'm willing to hear why I may be wrong.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Already talked about it on twitter. Pls give a ban for a certain amount of time. Lets the character develop/meta. Its horrible having the character be released on a tuesday than next week a tournament happen. Its easy to find shit but not easy to figure out how to handle shit. Year 1 CEO for both Inj and MKX where cancer to watch and must of been bad for those competing. Scorpion's everywhere. Than tanya mirrors in top 8. With a obvious split between DJT and MIT in GF. But thats a whole different point. Its not hype for Stream monsters to watch cause they would just complain if they see the same character in top 8. Which will happen again if a dlc character is broken and easy to use. Which will probably happen with at least one of them.

As a spectator, I think a temporary ban of 1-2 months is fair. There's nothing worse than seeing a tourney being dominated by a brand new character because of equal parts bullshit and players not having adequate lab time against the character. IMO it makes for a boring watch with a homogeneous top 8, and is unfair to the actual players too.

Another way to look at this too is that when a tourney is dominated by a new character's shenanigans, NRS' knee-jerk reaction is that said shenanigans are OP and then they nerf the character. In reality, maybe it's not OP at all and people just haven't had enough lab time to find the answer to it. A 1-2 month ban would help stop this scenario and avoid hasty character nerfs.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
As a spectator, I think a temporary ban of 1-2 months is fair. There's nothing worse than seeing a tourney being dominated by a brand new character because of equal parts bullshit and players not having adequate lab time against the character. IMO it makes for a boring watch with a homogeneous top 8, and is unfair to the actual players too.

Another way to look at this too is that when a tourney is dominated by a new character's shenanigans, NRS' knee-jerk reaction is that said shenanigans are OP and then they nerf the character. In reality, maybe it's not OP at all and people just haven't had enough lab time to find the answer to it. A 1-2 month ban would help stop this scenario and avoid hasty character nerfs.
Good point

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
TYM should make it so the only way you can vote is if you say something in the thread. We are going to see a lot of people voting but no reasoning behind it. Which somewhat defeats the purpose. Imagine people just wanted to troll and say let the DLC rock.

this logic is poor. this is how stream monsters justify it. they really don't care and want to see someone get destroyed by brokenness.

it has been 100% the norm since the beginning of dlc to wait a month or so before it is tournament legal.
Please explain how my logic is poor instead of just saying that. Your response was just a dogmatic clinginess to what's been done in the past. I don't want broken at all. Things like early Tanya should have been banned because that was bullshit. What I'm saying is broke stuff almost always gets exposed early on. Therefore characters should be banned on a case by case basis. Banning a character for that long also detracts from people playing them. On top of that, if something is obviously broken, it can be patched very quickly in this day and age.

haketh

Noob
Honestly I used to be on the side of don't allow them but this year for KOFXIV at NWM we're letting them rock due to a huge balance patch dropping at the same time. I can see either side of the argument but if theirs a balance patch coinciding at the same time & looking at it from a spectators view also it's good to allow them to happen. This does have negatives of course, the advantage of KOF XIVs situation is that these are all characters people have decades of experience with so MU knowledge is less of a burden but it still is one & theirs the chance of glitches or what not. It's complicated.

Recently it's been relaxed a ton at events, many letting them rock just after being out a few weeks. Hell sometimes even large updates released as just demos have been used over what's out IE Guilty Gear & BlazBlue. Lotta food for thought.