What's new

Should blocking cost stamina meter?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Da fuck, that's what mixups are for.

Persona had if you bash dash or walk back to much you can't use your meter or something.
Blazeblu had that same system and "Guard Primers" where if you lost 'em all, you could only Barrier guard (metered blocking separate from the super bar) until they returned. Certain moves broke your primers, not all, and certain characters got more to make up for poor mobility.

Having said all that, no way in hell is MK going to add in all the necessary shit to implement this

MK is easily the fighting game with the biggest penalties for blocking, given the huge amount of chip damage that nearly all attacks deal, not to mention the huge amount of meter that blockstrings build up.

Street Fighter only has block damage on special moves. Injustice only has very tiny block damage on normals, and moderate block damage on specials. Most 3D fighters like Tekken and Dead or Alive have no block damage whatsoever.

Seriously though, MK is almost certainly the most offense-oriented mainstream fighting game out there - it really doesn't need to be skewed anymore towards offense.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
This thread is a huge bill, epic fail.

Aside from that, to perform a breaker in MKX, you will need 100% of the stamina meter plus two levels of enhanced meter, do your homework first.
I know about the current MKX system, that has nothing to do with the question posed in the OP.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
dude chip damage is enough of a fucking advantage for pressure in mk... 1 percent chip per normal doesnt not help fucking blocking out plus meter burn... i think it owuld be cool if chip was reduced and stamina was effected by blocking... there would a more balanced tradeoff on both sides. if chars have better mixup games in mk x then having tons of chip and a run button might be super strong for offense...
High chip damage is kind of dumb. I would much rather a defensive system like injustice, or Street fighter, or any host of other FGs than just high chip. It really doesn't promote anything, it just is.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of being able to block forever, but if you get opened up, you can't break due to lose of stamina.

High chip damage is kind of dumb. I would much rather a defensive system like injustice, or Street fighter, or any host of other FGs than just high chip. It really doesn't promote anything, it just is.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of being able to block forever, but if you get opened up, you can't break due to lose of stamina.
that's sf for you... i don't mind a bit of chip or some reduction for blocking... but tons of chip

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Not lik it matters much, if you get blocked up in MKX you'll somewhat be super punishable unless you don't care about confirms. Plus frames felt nonexistant

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I know about the current MKX system, that has nothing to do with the question posed in the OP.
It has, you just didn't though further enough.

By going with the OP suggestion it will directly cripple all other functions that are directly associated with the stamina meter, like:
Interactibles: deplets 50% of stamina
Propeling: deplets 50% of stamina
Breaker: deplets 100% of stamina
Running: deplets progressively.
Backdash: deplets 50% of stamina

Every character in the game is already punished by chip damage, there is no need to disable or cripple all other mechanics designed around stamina every single time they block, blocking is not a overpowered mechanic, its there to minimize damage and mk game has very long blockstrings, imagine how a huge pressure would deplet the stamina meter that is only 2 bars and the chip on the health, its a very bad idea.

This thread is bill.

And dude WTF, you used to give good suggestions about story and stuff come on bro, who the hell hacked your account?

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

If you want to play a game like street fighter, play street fighter, this is mortal kombat lass, block forever all you want and see you dying with chip because you think you're safe blocking.

Its not just breaker, there are other defense mechanics designed around the stamina. If those are taken the character becomes defenseless, and is mk9 all over again, that is not what pako wants.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I really hate the idea that Nrs is listening to some scrubs and actually trying to pls them.

Like they r making it harder for zoning chars with all this mechanics already and thats bc online scrubs cried about Kano and Stryker zoning lol...

I really really hope zoning and defensive style get rewarded a little not just mindless rush down.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
MK9 did have insane chip but that's MK. Since MKX is somewhat faster paced they might lower that a little bit. Either way I'm not too concerned about it.

On the subject of blocking, should they penalize it more ? I don't think so. There's enough penalty as it is. If they think it's essential for the new game mechanics then fine. But otherwise I wouldn't change it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
One thing that has always bugged me about MK is that you can just lay on the block button and be somewhat invulnerable.

Sure you take chip, and sure you can't tech throws while holding the block button, but should their be a more harsh consequence for just laying on the block button?
Nope, there shouldn't. Chip damage does a lot if you keep the pressure on. And in MK9, if your opponent is blocking your barrage of attacks, you build hella meter and push them closer to the corner or give yourself the positional advantage.

Blocking in a game like SF4 is a lot more frustrating. They can crouch tech while blocking, they don't take chip from normals, and you don't build meter on block with normals. Not saying this is bad or anything, but I think the way MK handles it is just fine.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
This has to be a troll thread. You can literally DIE from blocking too much in MK due to the chip. If you're actually being serious, then I can only imagine that they'd have to rework the mechanics of the game to allow for something like this. Maybe establish a "blocking meter" that, once depleted, allows for a free hit. At this time, however, MK seems to handle it just fine (with a few minor tweaks for MKX, I'm sure).