What's new

shang tsung vs kung lao

piemaster

mortal hater
when im shang fighting kung i feel like theres nothing i can do. everything he does is faster than shang it seems. when i try to punish a spin he spins again. any ideas?

dont jump, upskulls every chance u get. keep him from teleporting. you can time it right and rush in when hes down and get some extra damage. or even chip damage.

if he spins and catches your block, use upskull if they like to double up the spin. or confuse them and after they spin go in for a combo... F4,3,4 etc.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Yeh combing into soul steal is THE best option

Lao is just to moble to fall into shangs lock out and shang upclose vs lao is bad

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Spin is easily punishable with a dash into F434

if anything Soul Steal and do the braindead 24(lowhat/overhead/commandthrow)

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
I think i can help you on this one cuz well I main lao.**bow**
kung lao is one crazy mofo. However shang can trap kung lao easily with his skulls. his upskull stuffs his tele. his ground literally must be used to control the ground and keep lao back and his straight will stuff roll and jump attempts kung lao will get trapped if you use the skulls. if kung lao does get in well if anybody gets in one shang just attempt an ex soul steal doesnt it have armor or invincibility frames or his close ground skull its perfect for people trying to jump in.

oh and if you block a spin use f4,3,4 its one of shangs best strings isnt it. if you sense a spin coming up again than use an upskull to set up a combo with a soul steal as an ender because lao might be good but lao with damage boost=godly. tip learn kung lao it will also come in handy

to punish a whiffed spin, you can just do an upskull into an unbreakable combo or a downskull into a breakable (but higher damage) combo, though the downskull you have to be a bit close because of them staggering. im going to try to learn this matchup because great laos still give me trouble :(

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
to punish a whiffed spin, you can just do an upskull into an unbreakable combo or a downskull into a breakable (but higher damage) combo, though the downskull you have to be a bit close because of them staggering. im going to try to learn this matchup because great laos still give me trouble :(
I dont want to sound like a loser but I feel feel like I have a strong lao if u wanna maybe we can vs some time and you could get some help on the lao matchup

-that low hat stagger is the cheapest thing ever

also unlike other laos i use some SECRET ex low hat tricks if u wanna see em maybe we can vs some time.
it is, its the only thing i do as a morphed lao lol

haha i could always do with some lao practice. add me on psn

Belial

Noob
1) Punish spin, its not difficult
2) Never zone with any kind of sculls, for zoning - use soul steal will catch teleports on startup, even if they teleport, 3 will often wiff.
3) Anticipate teleport and punish with d+1 into combo (I think 23~24% is most you can get off AA d+1), if you cant - you automatically lose, partially b/c early tp3 hits Shang Tsung when crouching.
4) Upclose your pressure is better, use it to its full.
5) His teleports 3's will often wiff against b+2 and f+3(4) since the moves advance forward slightly.
6) If you do f+4~GS and hit an EX TP you will deal 3-11% and still be safe to block his next hit.
7) Punish low hat with d+1~SS, its guaranteed 4% and gain 1/5 bar back. If he tries to atack or jump damage goes up to 12-18%. Once he respects SS you can mixup/
8) If he crossups you then teleports in the air, while you react to crossup with d+3 - you still have the time to beat his teleport (depends on how early you do a d+3), if you use AA 1 instead of d+3 he can punish with early TP3.
9) Read my explanation of KL TP here: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showt...leport-counter
10) All of the above, of course, is only viable if you always counter jumps and crossups. Otherwise you dont need a Kung Lao to lose to.

1) Punish spin, its not difficult
2) Never zone with any kind of sculls, for zoning - use soul steal will catch teleports on startup, even if they teleport, 3 will often wiff.
3) Anticipate teleport and punish with d+1 into combo (I think 23~24% is most you can get off AA d+1), if you cant - you automatically lose, partially b/c early tp3 hits Shang Tsung when crouching.
4) Upclose your pressure is better, use it to its full.
5) His teleports 3's will often wiff against b+2 and f+3(4) since the moves advance forward slightly.
6) If you do f+4~GS and hit an EX TP you will deal 3-11% and still be safe to block his next hit.
7) Punish low hat with d+1~SS, its guaranteed 4% and gain 1/5 bar back. If he tries to atack or jump damage goes up to 12-18%. Once he respects SS you can mixup/
8) If he crossups you then teleports in the air, while you react to crossup with d+3 - you still have the time to beat his teleport (depends on how early you do a d+3), if you use AA 1 instead of d+3 he can punish with early TP3.
9) Read my explanation of KL TP here: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?10565-Ex-teleport-counter
10) All of the above, of course, is only viable if you always counter jumps and crossups. Otherwise you dont need a Kung Lao to lose to.
1. Punishing spin is almost impossible. IDK where you say its not difficult. A kung lao can spin 2 times in a row and when blocked, his spin pushes him back past dashing distance unless he is in a corner. An ex-spin can land after a blocked spin and you will eat it 100%.

2. What do you mean never zone with any skulls? His skulls are the only thing he has going for him if kung lao is zoning. Kung lao can spam Lowhats and regular mid/high hat and destroy a zoner unless they try to force a tele on lao by zoning BACK. Kung Laos lowhat and divekicks will put a stop shangtsung when he trys to zone a kung lao.

3. Damn right you lose if you cannot counter teleport, You were finally right about something....Problem is you CANNOT anticipate a teleport that has ARMOR on it when used as an ex move. Another protip... Kung lao ALWAYS has bars.

4. Pressure a kung lao up close??? No character in the entire game can pressure kung lao , period... Thats the most foolish thing I ever heard.

5. Ex-teleport.

6. skip.

7. Kung lao's rarely low-hat upclose....he will be spamming block infinites and those 2121 superjabs all day. If not, he will ex spinning on you, double spinning on you, or throwing you when you try to block what you think is going to be a whirlspin. You get caught in that block-stun and its all over... even ex soulsteal has a slow start-up when shang is being pressured but didn't fall on the ground.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
1. Punishing spin is almost impossible. IDK where you say its not difficult. A kung lao can spin 2 times in a row and when blocked, his spin pushes him back past dashing distance unless he is in a corner. An ex-spin can land after a blocked spin and you will eat it 100%.

2. What do you mean never zone with any skulls? His skulls are the only thing he has going for him if kung lao is zoning. Kung lao can spam Lowhats and regular mid/high hat and destroy a zoner unless they try to force a tele on lao by zoning BACK. Kung Laos lowhat and divekicks will put a stop shangtsung when he trys to zone a kung lao.

3. Damn right you lose if you cannot counter teleport, You were finally right about something....Problem is you CANNOT anticipate a teleport that has ARMOR on it when used as an ex move. Another protip... Kung lao ALWAYS has bars.

4. Pressure a kung lao up close??? No character in the entire game can pressure kung lao , period... Thats the most foolish thing I ever heard.

5. Ex-teleport.

6. skip.

7. Kung lao's rarely low-hat upclose....he will be spamming block infinites and those 2121 superjabs all day. If not, he will ex spinning on you, double spinning on you, or throwing you when you try to block what you think is going to be a whirlspin. You get caught in that block-stun and its all over... even ex soulsteal has a slow start-up when shang is being pressured but didn't fall on the ground.
1) Are you new to this game? Punishing spin is 100% possible it's harder at some ranges but far from impossible just dash then fast launcher. IT's already having no push back after the patch now anyway. And lol at him just chaining another spin on a blocked spin. Maybe this works on the laggiest connection ever online but if going into block is faster than spin and he can't block in time after a blocked spin then how would he be able to throw out another spin without getting hit???

2) I don't fully understand what your saying here. Did you just contradict yourself?

3) You can d1 regular teleports and jump away from ex teleports, it's not the hardest thing in the world.

4) I guess johnny cage doesnt exist then. KL's still better than shang upclose ofc but that doesn't mean you can't still apply your own pressure. KL will still have to guess right against certain frame traps and if he spins and you anticipate it then look free combo - IF YOU CAN PUNISH IT.

Gonna skip to 7)

'Kung lao's rarely low-hat upclose...'

ಠ_ಠ

Belial

Noob
Shang's upclose pressure is only second to Jhonny Cage, you may disagree but once you catch him in frametraps there is almost nothing he can do.

f+4~GS, f4~GS cannot be jumped, can only be interrupted by spin or d+1/d+3
f+4~GS, d+1 - cannot be interrupted (armor only) and cannot be jumped. Follow into SS (as descibed above in 7)
if d+1 hits close (after f4~GS on block for example) next f+4 cannot be jumped. meaning you can reset the situation
If you buffer SS after d+1 on hit it cannot be interrupted or jumped.
f+4~GS, d+3 - cannot be interrupted at all (armor only), but can be jumped.
d+3 close(after f4~GS) into f+4 cannot be jumped.
d+3 close (after f4~GS) into d+1 cannot be jumped or interrupted (see d+1 strats above)
et cetera et cetera. You can do this strats after f+3~GS as well.

Shang Tsung pressure is godlike.
However, if you do f434~GS or 221~GS situation on guard is significantly worse due to pushback.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Belial is totally right. Shang's traps are insane if you know how to do them and can execute them properly.

yes everytime KL is knocked down throw out a downskull to void his wakeup, sometimes they'll go for a wakeup spin and get hit by the dskull which you can easily do a full combo

Belial

Noob
Afaik they can recovery roll every ST knockdown, so you have to guess if they roll and do a different GS. So if they dont WKA its 2% chip and 1/26 bar on GS wiff and 1/7 bar on GS block and no real way to follow up pressure (unless they are at point blank range and dont RR). If they WKA Idk how much damage you can get w/o bar, w bar its 29%-31%.

Edit: Will not beat teleports. gotta check situations with spin.

Fatality XBL

Red-eye Ragin'
Honestly I don't have much trouble with this matchup now that KL's spin is retardedly punishable. Bait teleports from full screen and try and punish with D+1 into 1 12's to soul steal/upskull resets (some KL's online will 3 just to make the teleport seem safe on their way down which can make punishing KL's teleport really annoying), bait dive kicks from midscreen and punish. AA him back ! When he finally doesn't dive kick in, AA him with a standing 1 to upskull reset or soul steal combos. The matchup is probably still in KL's favor but after this last patch I feel like Shang can fuck KL up lol.

DetroitBalln

tupac aint dead
I don't know about this. I always zone Lao out with skulls and soul steal, it always seems to work for me.

Mid up skull catches Lao out from his teleport

Close up skull catches Lao out of his dive kicks to get in

I disagree with not zoning with skulls

my best advice wenn facing kung lao online is to press start, up, 3, up, 3
lol

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
newbys r funny heres my top tip lol 12 gr skull F43 gr skull B121 up skull D4 gr skull 122 up skull 122 gr skull BDF 3

:horse: < lol new smiley???

detroit your sig makes me laugh everytime

Sigmar

Ex Mortis
The shang page is COMPLETELY dead, i'd hate to see the sheeva one.. people should make new threads about something.. i hate visiting this site to find nothing posted, please someone give life to poor tsung.