What's new

[Sep 24, 2011] Game Underground Framingham MA 9-24 (Framingham, MA)

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
I'm making this thread on Behalf of LuckyD and GU!

LuckyD said:
1pm Signups/Warmups
2pm Mortal Kombat $10 (ps3)
3pm Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 3 $10 (xbox)
4pm Mark of the Wolves + $2 (NEOGEO Arcade Cabinet)
5pm Marvel Vs Capcom 3 $10 (xbox)
5 pm Third Strike $10 (xbox)
All Tournaments are Double Elimination!
$5 Venue Fee Covers ALL TOURNAMENTS!

Teams ? ? ?

1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

All tournaments on Xbox 360, except Mk9 which will be on ps3.
BYOC

Im hyped for this, also new rule changes for how im going to run the tournament:

There will be no waiting for matches in terms of stream/and/or finals. Im sorry guys but the stream is awesome and I know people wanna know whats what but from now on Im running things without any problems. With another game in the circuit and teams somewhere in all of this Im not waiting on anyone. Im also considering changing things to random seeding, but thats still up in the air. Cant wait to see everyone again!
Also, for MK9...

Freddy, Kratos, the Kratos stage, the street stage, and the unlockable and DLC alternate costumes are all banned!

Alex_Smith

I someone can explain to me how "double elimination" works, i'll be there ...:wut:
Each game is 2/3 rounds, and each match is 2/3 games (except for winners, losers, and grand finals, which are 3/5 games per match).

Everyone starts out on the winners side of the bracket. If you win your match, you advance on the winners side. This continues until there are only two players left on that side of the bracket, and they play each other 3/5 games in what is called the winners final. The winner qualifies for grand finals, the loser will play in the losers final.

If you lose, you go to the losers side of the bracket. If you lose there, you will have lost twice, and are out of the tournament. If you win, you move forward on that side of the bracket. This continues until only the person who previously qualified for losers' finals and one other remains. They play each other 3/5 games in what is called losers' final. The loser is out, and the winner goes to grand finals.

Grand finals are also 3/5 games, but the person who made it to grand finals on the winners side has to lose two matches (since they haven't lost yet)!

If that's not enough explanation, the Wikipedia entry is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament. (You might at least find the image used as an example there to be useful).

TL;DR: Keep playing until you've lost two matches or have won the tournament.

See you there!

This is over now. Pretty sure these are the final standings, I mean I don't have the brackets or anything I'm just going from memory:

1. Phoenix (Nightwolf)
2. mcpeanuts (Liu Kang)
3. blueNINE (Kung Lao/Skarlet)
4. Zorin (Raiden)
5. AgentFordCruller (Sub Zero/Sonya Blade)
5. Shakespearius (Kabal)
7. Stephen (Kung Lao)
7. Jamie (Kabal)

Alex_Smith

Man...after I explained double elimination, that guy didn't show up! :(

This is over now. Pretty sure these are the final standings, I mean I don't have the brackets or anything I'm just going from memory:

1. Phoenix (Nightwolf)
2. mcpeanuts (Liu Kang)
3. blueNINE (Kung Lao/Skarlet)
4. Zorin (Raiden)
5. AgentFordCruller (Sub Zero/Sonya Blade)
5. Shakespearius (Kabal)
7. Stephen (Kung Lao)
7. Jamie (Kabal)
Thanks for posting the results! It would be baller if you'd post the results in the Tournament Aftermaths section from now on, though. (This is done so that results and post-tournament discussions don't cause the old tournament threads to be bumped to the top of this section, and helps to make finding new tournament threads a bit easier.)