What's new

Match-up Discussion Sektor Matchup Discussion Thread

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
There is no way that matchup is that bad .... If Sektor blocks a f4 he gets 45% combo punish if i'm not mistaken. You have f2 and b1 to keep Jax honest. If anything this matchup seems even.

Your footsie game has to improve to understand what i'm talking about.

There is no way that matchup is that bad .... If Sektor blocks a f4 he gets 45% combo punish if i'm not mistaken. You have f2 and b1 to keep Jax honest. If anything this matchup seems even.

Your footsie game has to improve to understand what i'm talking about.
For me at least, it's all of Jax's armor combined with Sektor's limited wake-up options. Sektor will end up on the ground eventually, and that's where he struggles.

Like I said, he's no where near as unstoppable as I once though, but I still feel like he has the advantage over Sektor. The 6.5-3.5 was mostly me adjusting for the possibility of acclimating to play-styles.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I like zoning out Jax with Sektor, playing solid footsies with him, anticipating his dash punch, keep him far. I agree, once Sektor gets knocked down people can put pressure on him since his wake ups are limited indeed.

For easy refrence, here's Tom Brady's Match-Up Chart for Sektor as of 2/17/2012:

Raiden - 4/6
Kabal - 5/5
Smoke - 4/6
Kenshi - 5/5
Kung Lao - 4/6
Jax - 4/6
Freddy Krueger - 5/5
Kitana - 5/5
Mileena - 4/6
Sonya Blade - 4/6
Cyrax - 5.5/4.5
Rreptile - 5/5
Scorpion - 5/5
Ermac - 5/5
Cyber Sub-Zero - 4/6
Rain - 5/5
Noob Saibot - 6/4
Johnny Cage - 5/5
Night Wolf - 5/5
Liu Kang - 5/5
Shang Tsung - 5/5
Sindel - 5/5
Kano - 6/4
Skarlet - 5/5
Quan Chi - 5/5
Jade - 6/4
Stryker - 5/5
Sub-Zero - 6/4
Sheeva - 6/4
Baraka - 6/4

Total=149.5
15/16th (Tied with Cyber Sub-Zero)

Even though I don't necessarily agree with some of the numbers, right in the middle seems about right for Sektor.

I need some tips on the Noob matchup. Do you guys agree on the 6/4 Tom Brady posted? I got major problems with Noob Saibots and Kenshis and need help before a tournament next saturday in PR.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
My edits to Mr. Brady's tier list are in bold.

Raiden - 4/6
Kabal - 5/5 4/6
Smoke - 4/6 3.5/6.5
Kenshi - 5/5 5.5/4.5
Kung Lao - 4/6 6/4
Jax - 4/6
Freddy Krueger - 5/5
Kitana - 5.5
Mileena - 4/6
Sonya Blade - 4/6
Cyrax - 5.5/4.5 5/5
Reptile - 5/5
Scorpion - 5/5
Ermac - 5/5
Cyber Sub-Zero - 4/6 5/5
Rain - 5/5
Noob Saibot - 6/4 5/5
Johnny Cage - 5/5
Night Wolf - 5/5
Liu Kang - 5/5 4.5/5.5
Shang Tsung - 5/5
Sindel - 5/5
Kano - 6/4
Skarlet - 5/5
Quan Chi - 5/5 6/4
Jade - 6/4
Stryker - 5/5
Sub-Zero - 6/4 5/5
Sheeva - 6/4
Baraka - 6/4

Working on writing at least a paragraph about each match up. So far only have 6 characters. Smoke is subject to change to 4/6 - but at the moment I believe it's Sektor's worst match up.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You think the Smoke matchup is worse than the Mileena matchup? I guess I can kinda see why...

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
You think the Smoke matchup is worse than the Mileena matchup? I guess I can kinda see why...
Imo those are the two worst. A lot of the same rules apply; no missiles, punishable flame thrower, can't do anything once they get the life lead, their pokes beat your pokesect.

Smoke however with the life lead is far more dangerous since he can spam smoke bomb while Mileena just sits there since if she spams projectiles you can TU her. The smoke bomb pulls Sektor up from the ground so it can't be TUed, it's even hard to do on a read! Also when Mileena has the life disadvantage you can somewhat turtle, Smoke can get to you with little to no problem.

Apock

Noob
Sektor can punish smoke bomb on block for full combo. This is huge. 3.5 -6? i dont think so. Mayby 4/6 but 3.5? cmone..

SonicKaballs

Kaballin' since June 2011
I believe you guys should change the match up for Sektor v Kabal to 6-4 Sektor as he can duck all of Kabals pressure starters except F3 meaning pressure is easy to get out of. Also Sektor has a 6 frame starter out of all of Kabal's NDC's except 2 NDC. Zoning can be stopped by iATU and grindwheel is simply something to jump over or trade with.

What is everyone's consensus on the Sektor vs. Kabal, Sektor vs. Cage, and Sektor vs. Lao matchups lately? Does everyone think they are still 6/4, 5/5, and 4/6 respectively? I ask because I am trying to find a non-Jax answer to these three characters for counterpicking purposes...

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
What is everyone's consensus on the Sektor vs. Kabal, Sektor vs. Cage, and Sektor vs. Lao matchups lately? Does everyone think they are still 6/4, 5/5, and 4/6 respectively? I ask because I am trying to find a non-Jax answer to these three characters for counterpicking purposes...
I think Kabal is a 5/5. Using the 6 frame jab to get out of Kabal's strings is more theoretical than practical. If he goes for a low poke or anything that lowers his hit box you will whiff. So, I usually just d1 out of pressure. The low hit box against Kabal is amazing, but keep in mind that Sektor's low hit box is just when he is blocking. If you just duck, he has a medium hit box. I can not itu Kabal's gas blasts on reaction; it must be a read. That said, Kabal should be worried about throwing a bunch out in a row. You however can never fire an up missile or homing missile since he will spin you on reaction, then block the homing missile and still punish.

I think Cage is also a 5/5. The 6 frame jab is actually good here since you don't need to block low against f3 and the random advantage won't happen. Cage can do f3 into d3 which will make your standing 1 whiff and put you back into pressure. That said, the risk vs reward is in Sektor's favor. Also he can keep Cage out for some time, allowing him to build up meter for when Cage gets in (which he will).

I think Sektor has the advantage against Lao and always have. However I have a hard time describing why. Sektor's speed really helps, allowing him to bait spins. The fast uppercut is great for teleports. He can punish low hats with ease. Sektor can also keep Kung Lao at poke range and do some damage with missiles/flame throwers. I think it's a 6/4 in Sektor's favor. Put it this way, out of 11 Kung Lao players, I've told them I would baby them and followed though every single time (some of which are recorded in tournaments like Pass the Salt and Winter Brawl).

:O WOW I did not expect all of that! You make Sektor sound like one of the best characters in the game lol. I'll have to track down some videos of your play and try to pick Sektor up myself. He's always interested me as a character but I've never found a reason to play anybody other than Smoke until I got bodied at MLG by nothing but KL and Kabal.

Besides yourself, are there any other notable Sektor players I should try to find videos of? Also, human or cyborg? The consensus seems to be human but i'll search around for a thread on it (hopefully you guys have one)

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
:O WOW I did not expect all of that! You make Sektor sound like one of the best characters in the game lol. I'll have to track down some videos of your play and try to pick Sektor up myself. He's always interested me as a character but I've never found a reason to play anybody other than Smoke until I got bodied at MLG by nothing but KL and Kabal.

Besides yourself, are there any other notable Sektor players I should try to find videos of? Also, human or cyborg? The consensus seems to be human but i'll search around for a thread on it (hopefully you guys have one)
There's lots of good Sektor footage. I learned the most from a Greek Sektor player named Nickolass. His spacing and footsie game is immaculate. Ketchup, iKizzile, OMG Madness are also great Sektor players who have footage out and about.

I'll record some games of AC1984's Kabal against myself this week and upload them. He also has a great Kung Lao, so I'll see if I can keep word on my capabilities of destroying the character.

With Sektor the match ups you need to watch out for are Smoke and Freddy first and foremost. Mileena and Sonya are difficult, but still very winnable. Kabal is still a bitch too btw lol! The only two match ups that I pull out my pocket character are Smoke and Freddy at the moment.

There's lots of good Sektor footage. I learned the most from a Greek Sektor player named Nickolass. His spacing and footsie game is immaculate. Ketchup, iKizzile, OMG Madness are also great Sektor players who have footage out and about.

I'll record some games of AC1984's Kabal against myself this week and upload them. He also has a great Kung Lao, so I'll see if I can keep word on my capabilities of destroying the character.

With Sektor the match ups you need to watch out for are Smoke and Freddy first and foremost. Mileena and Sonya are difficult, but still very winnable. Kabal is still a bitch too btw lol! The only two match ups that I pull out my pocket character are Smoke and Freddy at the moment.
I hear you on the Kabal bit man. That character is crazy hard to fight no matter who you are, it seems... but if Sektor has a bit more of a leg up (dare i say... leg lift?) than smoke does I'm content :)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Freddy? Interesting. Why do you say so? From my limited experience fighting Sektor, I would say the match up is as even as even can be. Because of Freddy's hitbox, Sektor's 6F jab hits a block-crouching Freddy and the second hit of b+3,4 usually jails too. While spikes are impossible to react to anywhere on the screen, I believe a competent Sektor player should be able to react to gloves and fingers full screen away.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Freddy? Interesting. Why do you say so? From my limited experience fighting Sektor, I would say the match up is as even as even can be. Because of Freddy's hitbox, Sektor's 6F jab hits a block-crouching Freddy and the second hit of b+3,4 usually jails too. While spikes are impossible to react to anywhere on the screen, I believe a competent Sektor player should be able to react to gloves and fingers full screen away.
Zoning is in Freddy's favor. Freddy can ground claw and hit him out of the teleport (Sektor has to go down through the ground which the claws come up from). Freddy kan get away pretty easily too. It's pretty easy to back dash or NMS away from jab pressure.

That said, it's not so much in his favor that it makes me want to switch. I even hesitate to switch against Smoke.

So, I usually just d1 out of pressure.
You got everything about the Kabal match up down! Except for this I think... d1 puts you at -7 on hit! So -7 unless they jump, but what Kabal does that during Nomad Dash pressure?

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
With Freddy's hit box I was so sure that it would be in sektor's favor. However itu is out of the question due to ground claw and fast recovery on normal claw. It's a slow way in on Freddy and as soon as I'm in b3 or f2 range his uppercut lowers his hitbox and has such a huge range. I could be wrong about the match up, my main practice is against someone who uses him as a pocket character. Would have been nice to get a few matches in with you at mlg.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
With Freddy's hit box I was so sure that it would be in sektor's favor. However itu is out of the question due to ground claw and fast recovery on normal claw. It's a slow way in on Freddy and as soon as I'm in b3 or f2 range his uppercut lowers his hitbox and has such a huge range. I could be wrong about the match up, my main practice is against someone who uses him as a pocket character. Would have been nice to get a few matches in with you at mlg.
I had no idea you were there. You should have talked to me and we could have played some games.

I honestly believe the match up is even. The Freddy player must respect iaTU at all times. Take advantage of its threat by block-dashing forward and quickly closing the gap. Claws are good but should not be keeping you out for a long period of time. They have no push back and leave Freddy at a frame disadvantage on block. I would mostly use iaTU as a "mental" threat. If you are trying to punish every glove or finger with iaTU, the risk vs. reward becomes in Freddy's favor. Reacting to gloves can be very difficult, and impossible at mid range.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
I had no idea you were there. You should have talked to me and we could have played some games.

I honestly believe the match up is even. The Freddy player must respect iaTU at all times. Take advantage of its threat by block-dashing forward and quickly closing the gap. Claws are good but should not be keeping you out for a long period of time. They have no push back and leave Freddy at a frame disadvantage on block. I would mostly use iaTU as a "mental" threat. If you are trying to punish every glove or finger with iaTU, the risk vs. reward becomes in Freddy's favor. Reacting to gloves can be very difficult, and impossible at mid range.
I can shed some light on this, since I play Hanks a lot with generally competent Freddy.

From what I've noticed against Sektor, he can't really attempt zoning from full screen because Ground Claw stuffs just about everything he does, including teleports. When he tries to play the mid game he sacrifices his ability to react to most projectiles. Also, both Freddy Fingers and Ground Claw can stuff teleport reads/random teleports in that range.

As Sektor gets closer and closer he has to respect Freddy's anti-air options, and although he has advancing normals, Freddy is typically backdashing in this range and can punish those on whiff with a projectile or claw. Freddy's high hitbox allows him to be subjected to the worst of Sektor's shenanigans, but make no mistake: Sektor isn't necessarily Cage. It's not really all that hard to get out of Sektor pressure for a couple reasons.

It is true that Sektor's 1, 2, b1 hits Freddy but that's ONLY when he's sitting there blocking. If you've conditioned Sektor not to jump much (which isn't difficult with Freddy's AA1 and godlike uppercut), when he dashes in you can easily stuff almost all of his pressure with an uppercut. Freddy's uppercut lowers his hitbox enough so that the 6F jab actually whiffs and Sektor just eats the d2. This happens a lot between Hanks and I. Freddy's good 6F d1 is nice too.

Also, Freddy doesn't have to play a completely defensive game against Sektor. At certain ranges Freddy can go on the offensive. He has great mixup tools that Sektor needs to respect, and any slipup lands Sektor all the way across the screen.

I don't mean to paint Sektor as being completely neutralized in this matchup because frankly, he's not. Hanks beats me plenty, I'm just saying that when we play, it mostly feels like Sektor has more of a hill to climb than Freddy, and there are far more times when it feels that Freddy is dictating the pace than Sektor.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I can shed some light on this, since I play Hanks a lot with generally competent Freddy.

From what I've noticed against Sektor, he can't really attempt zoning from full screen because Ground Claw stuffs just about everything he does, including teleports. When he tries to play the mid game he sacrifices his ability to react to most projectiles. Also, both Freddy Fingers and Ground Claw can stuff teleport reads/random teleports in that range.

As Sektor gets closer and closer he has to respect Freddy's anti-air options, and although he has advancing normals, Freddy is typically backdashing in this range and can punish those on whiff with a projectile or claw. Freddy's high hitbox allows him to be subjected to the worst of Sektor's shenanigans, but make no mistake: Sektor isn't necessarily Cage. It's not really all that hard to get out of Sektor pressure for a couple reasons.

It is true that Sektor's 1, 2, b1 hits Freddy but that's ONLY when he's sitting there blocking. If you've conditioned Sektor not to jump much (which isn't difficult with Freddy's AA1 and godlike uppercut), when he dashes in you can easily stuff almost all of his pressure with an uppercut. Freddy's uppercut lowers his hitbox enough so that the 6F jab actually whiffs and Sektor just eats the d2. This happens a lot between Hanks and I. Freddy's good 6F d1 is nice too.

Also, Freddy doesn't have to play a completely defensive game against Sektor. At certain ranges Freddy can go on the offensive. He has great mixup tools that Sektor needs to respect, and any slipup lands Sektor all the way across the screen.

I don't mean to paint Sektor as being completely neutralized in this matchup because frankly, he's not. Hanks beats me plenty, I'm just saying that when we play, it mostly feels like Sektor has more of a hill to climb than Freddy, and there are far more times when it feels that Freddy is dictating the pace than Sektor.
Pretty much everything I was thinking. With the exception of uppercuts.