What's new

Scorpion Matchup Discussion Thread

Insane

Toasty!
Any tips against Nightwolf? I recently got eliminated by a Nightwolf player and I didn't know what to do during the match. :(

King

Sig Maker
Any tips against Nightwolf? I recently got eliminated by a Nightwolf player and I didn't know what to do during the match. :(
1)You can stuff wakeup shoulders with D4.
2) Use your safe normals and strings liberally in this matchup. Make sure you keep up good 11 pressure. Mix in tick throws and try sneaking in an overhead or a low somewhere.
3) From far away, try using Hellfire. It'll check NW's use of lightning and force him to move.
4) Stay jump distance away from Nightwolf. His shoulder is punishable with uppercut or 11 spear at that range if you duck his shoulder.
5) Do NOT jump in on Nightwolf unless you are guaranteed a hit.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Hellfire if done early enough also stops rains teleport so you can actually use it to keep in check.

Jet3000

Let’s go crazy!
Hellfire if done early enough also stops rains teleport so you can actually use it to keep in check.
And you can do hellfire on water ball when scorpion almost touches the water, i did it once but you have to be far from rain to do it.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I noticed the match-up chart has yet to be updated. Was there anything left to discuss?

Jet3000

Let’s go crazy!
How do you guys deal with mileena? I was surpised to see it was supposedly an even matchup.
Fight defensive against Mileena,To beat her you should always stand blocking upon her wake up and she will use ball
roll or tele kick and they are easily punished by a full combo and always use spear when she uses ball roll or tele kick.
The big problems against Mileena her low kicks mix up and her low kicks in the corner.
Use the meter wisely, EX teleport will not be needed as much because Mileena can easly close the distance and
save your breaker, her combos are very good and use the EX Teleport when you are in the corner, other wise
i'll say this MU 5-5

Slips

Mileena isn't bad because Scorp can punish the crap out of her TK's. He punishes roll pretty hard and its risky for Mileena to ias because of Scorp's TP so she has to play pretty honestly making it a 5-5 match-up.

mozarus

Noob
Slips how you do against Sektor, any GOOD tip vs. Sector. I play a lot Scoprion (only offline with bunch friend) but vs. Sector a must go for other character. Sector is a little familiar to Scorpion but every tool has better, the worst thing is super fast recovery on missile.
My old post post from matchup, right now a think Scoprion :fp:fp... is better :) but other stuff is actual.
Sector vs Scorpion is 7-3 for Sector.
Ok form basic.
I fell like Sector :fp:bp ... is better that Scorpion :fp:fp...
Better overall normal, better uppercut. Sector maybe have weak wakeup game, but scorpion is horrible give Sector nice mixup.
Sektor player love Scorpion mixup, even more mixup in to safe jump. OK Sector easy punish for 41/48%, scorpion do ~30% with out hellfire (uses meter on break).
Hellfire is to risky vs. Sector 41% from TP hurt to much. Ufff a love missed Spear, even better :en for +50% combo.
Sektor missile DESTROY Scorpion ... hellfire, spear, even :en Spear don`t work well, and Teleport is much to slow to punish missile.
Sektor even dominate air battle, jk to TP :) are better that scorpion air option.
Ah there is also quite good Sector Flamethrower and shitty Scorpion Takedawn.

I have just one really big disagreement with the matchups, Scorpion vs Raiden is not a 4-6 match up. If you were to be generous it'd be 3-7 and more realistically I believe it's a 2-8 or a 1-9. Scorpion is so much slower in comparison with Raiden which leaves it very hard to be either defensive or offensive against him. With scorpion being a high risk/high reward character this is detrimental to his success. In regards to speed, Raiden can attempt a string and then grab or electric fly before scorpion can punish and then begin a new string, this is the vastness of the speed difference. Another point is scorpion's aggressive teleport against Raiden's passive teleport is a huge disadvantage, which leaves scorpion wide open to be punished by a full combo while Raiden can teleport and grab or electric fly. But if you can anticipate the teleport or have good reflexes then you can punish Raiden's uppercut with a very fast upper cut. Raiden's with speed, near impunity to punishment (with good mix-ups and grabs), passive teleport, great pressure, and devestating wall combos the match ups is in no way fair. The only disruptive move to disrupt Raiden's 3,3,4 (bread and butter intermmediate combo starter that is also an overhead) combo after the second 3 is scorpion's d+1; it is one frame fast enough so you have to be a jedi to even pull off his one disruptive weapon. A competent Raiden player can just about always beat an equally competent scorpion player.

Slips

Slips how you do against Sektor, any GOOD tip vs. Sector. I play a lot Scoprion (only offline with bunch friend) but vs. Sector a must go for other character. Sector is a little familiar to Scorpion but every tool has better, the worst thing is super fast recovery on missile.
My old post post from matchup, right now a think Scoprion :fp:fp... is better :) but other stuff is actual.
I managed to get in a lot of games against Sektroll at Evo, probably the best Sektor in the country and did pretty good against him. Sektor's zoning blows up Scorps zoning, I agree with that. But Scorp doesn't have a hard time getting in on a character like Sektor like he does Kabal, Kitana, or Cyrax. Just like any other character, if you have meter, its risky for them to zone at all. EX TP and EX Spear (if your using it right) deters him from shooting missiles. So then it just becomes a brawl and Scorp is pretty capable in that department. If you don't have meter, it will take some advanced strats to get in which I'll go over soon.

Psycho Ferret, ironically, I played a lot of games with JOP at Evo as well, who has one of the best Raiden's out there and went about even with him. I agree its not in Scorp's favor, but 3-7 is too much. A lot of the things you are saying holds true for every character in the game, not just Scorpion.

1-9? lol
If you can read Raidens teleport you will have a great time.

1. After a teleport the follow up is usually b+3,1,2 which is 15 frames on start up, which means Scorpion has great options off a successful read
a. 1,1~Spear​
b. 3,3~Spear​
c. Grab​
d. D+3 - 3,3 Trap​

2. Raiden's best option is to jump over
a. Meet him in the air w/ njp​

3. Overall Raiden has faster strings but the fact that your starting the string in between the teleport animation he cant interrupt w/ a string or special

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Slips: How do you feel about vs Reptile? Granted I'm not a scorpion player, but I look at both tools on paper and I don't see either one at adv. Scorpions hellfire has to be a pain in the cock for the green guy. Plus, Scorpion can easily get in and stay in w/pressure. If you can bait out an elbow, prepare to eat 35%+ damage? What are your thoughts? I imagine you had to play some good Reptiles at Evo

Slips

I honestly haven't played a Reptile that has scared me and I feel I've played some good ones. Scorpion simply punishes too hard. Block a dash you get 35% w/ good wake-ups. (Who doesn't tho?) He can't get too liberal with his projectiles because of TP and EX spear. He can't get too jumpy cause Scorp has got good anti-air. Sooo what does that leave him? Not a whole lot.

Hellfire is nice, not much of a zoning move, just a move to remind people they can't sit there. :p

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I read through the earlier portions of the thread and noticed the kitana talk. I entered my first MK9 tourny a few weeks ago and my first match was against her. I lost one match and won the other two, the reason at least for THIS player is he tried to zone with Fans and iAF a lot, I'd just do it MK2 mileena vs scorp style and TP her if I read a fan or iAF. The square boost was a pain and yeah I was eating meter with scorpion left and right against her. My biggest problems at this point are Kung Lao and Ermac. I had a Kung Player just rush me down and jump/cross me up all the time, and the Ermac Player is a zoner. I hate moving and even dash blocking cuz the damn push always gets me. Though from reading this he is also a bit of a turtle fighter, I assume I can "wake him up" a bit with Hellfires? Only problem then is if he reads it and TP's ME lol.

King

Sig Maker
My biggest problems at this point are Kung Lao and Ermac. I had a Kung Player just rush me down and jump/cross me up all the time, and the Ermac Player is a zoner. I hate moving and even dash blocking cuz the damn push always gets me. Though from reading this he is also a bit of a turtle fighter, I assume I can "wake him up" a bit with Hellfires? Only problem then is if he reads it and TP's ME lol.
For Kung Lao, if he's constantly crossing you up you can NJP, get a full combo AND a vortex opportunity off of it.

NJP B2 Jump Kick Tele Dash 21 Spear F2,1 Tele... into vortex

Jump back kick into teleport also works great against constant cross up abusers as that also leads to a combo and vortex opportunity.

Also, I found that 111 pressure is super good against Kung Lao because it can bait out spins which are punished by full combos. I find it's best to vary up the amount of 1's you do and throw in a couple D3s for good measure and try to bait out that spin. So an example could be 11, 1, 111, 11, D3, 1, 111 etc

Against Ermac, it's all about knowing the distance on the TKP and reading your opponent. If he's always trying to go for on reaction TKPs, maybe you should sit back a bit more and do hellfire just to check him. If you have meter, you might want to throw out an EX teleport and give yourself a safe jump on block and free entry on Ermac. These things are to be used sparingly though as it both options can be punished easily if telegraphed. Another more risky option is to armor through the TKP with EX Spear and start your combo from there.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Alright I'll give that a shot. I think I need to stop over anticipating things to which is why I tele too much at times as well among other things making it easy for them to read me and in effect, making it seem as though I'm having tons of trouble.I've been told and also see that scorpion in this game is more of a wait and make them pay character. I'm gonna get a chance at that ermac matchup tonight so I'm gonna go ahead and practice implementing these strats.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Alright so the dude I played with recorded and put up our session. As you can see thus far I got STOMPED into the ground. I played him today as well (these matches took place 2 days ago) and at first I was doing far better, but then near the end it was getting worse again. Keep in mind I've just started to try and buckle down on this character and the game itself (I against state I'm used to the old 2D ones) and a lot of mistakes or ignorance takes place here. A few times the block+ (insert button here) moves didn't work causing me to do a NORMAL teleport as opposed to an EX one for instance at times when it's obvious the latter was the better choice. I was getting pretty frustrated as he runs a LOT and I can't seem to pin him down. Today I got frustrated again and chose ermac as well to prove a point. NEVER touched the character and just made him fear force push, noticed again..he runs. In any event, advice, or thoughts would be good. I obviously need lots of it. At the same time this will allow you guys to see the matchup against the two TK users, maybe help u guys see what you know needs to be done that I don't yet know.
Vid 1 :
(vs. ermac)
Vid 2 : (vs. kenshi)

There are several more but you guys can check em out as u please on his channel. There are like 7 or 8. I beat this dude the full two rounds only like 3 or 4 times.

My advice

1. Anti-air: Letting him get free jip's you give him stagger and grab opportunities
a. B+2
b. 3~teleport
2. Poking: You let him stagger you way too much when you can easily interrupt him
a. D+1
b. D+4​

3. Xray: Meter should be saved for :en moves and breaker
a. you can steal the win
b. you have a huge lead
4. You dont have to be so defensive when yoou get close to Ermac he doesnt have as many options as Scorp

5. Overall your Scorpion is good but you can make him much better I suggest you look into other characters. Like I played w/ jax to better my anti-air game

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I'll take all that into consideration (no sarcasm here) and I have a second character. Kitana. First I need to make sure scorpion is in order. Now you say when I'm up close to ermac I need not be defensive. The problem is the force push, this dude ends up just throwing them out and I just noticed that he crouch kicks/punches a lot. Like I'll try to get him in 1,1 strings and he duck jabs the first hit all the time. May just be error of judgement on my part. I need to respect the force push I guess just not fear it. We're playing again tonight, I'll see what happens if I put a little more safe aggression into it.

the low puches/kicks are pokes they can be used in an offensive or defensive manor

instead of using 1,1 try 3,3

if you get a better air game you will definitely accelerate your Scorpion gameplay

I use Noob, Liu Kang and Jax as secondaries and they all helped make my Scorpion better

Noob taught me how to use pokes to set up string and so did Kang and Jax upped my anti-air

Slips

vegeta, push is a bitch, but this is how I usually deal with it.

If you blocked it relatively close, dash in and get in his grill with a d4 or 11 string if you can. Hellfire is an option as well.

If you blocked it and he's far away, back up to get out of range. Here hellfire outzones all of his zoning options, and if he gets hip to hellfire from here and he jumps, dash in on him as he lands to apply pressure or aa spear.

Things in general. When you do a jp, you are waiting too long to do your b+2 for it to combo. You have to input the b+2 (or f+4) while you are still in the air. I suggest jp into 11 pressure personally as the 50/50 is too much of a gamble. But its your own prerogative.

Your not using your frame advantage to the fullest sometimes. You'll hit with a tp and do a 33 or 1 or something. Do a cross over jump into something, you got all day, give yourself a second to think about it and do a mix up.

Like KOE said, you gotta use some sort of anti air. I personally like d1, but his suggestions work as well.

I think once you start doing some of that stuff you'll be winning more no doubt.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
vegeta, push is a bitch, but this is how I usually deal with it.

If you blocked it relatively close, dash in and get in his grill with a d4 or 11 string if you can. Hellfire is an option as well.

If you blocked it and he's far away, back up to get out of range. Here hellfire outzones all of his zoning options, and if he gets hip to hellfire from here and he jumps, dash in on him as he lands to apply pressure or aa spear.

Things in general. When you do a jp, you are waiting too long to do your b+2 for it to combo. You have to input the b+2 (or f+4) while you are still in the air. I suggest jp into 11 pressure personally as the 50/50 is too much of a gamble. But its your own prerogative.

Your not using your frame advantage to the fullest sometimes. You'll hit with a tp and do a 33 or 1 or something. Do a cross over jump into something, you got all day, give yourself a second to think about it and do a mix up.

Like KOE said, you gotta use some sort of anti air. I personally like d1, but his suggestions work as well.

I think once you start doing some of that stuff you'll be winning more no doubt.
Yeah the B+2 on occasion is because I was baiting him into ducking. He ducks and runs a lot and it only seems to be when I guess wrong LOL. as for frame advantage, you're right. I think that's mostly due to panic/aggravation and I don't think straight in the heat of the moment. Now I am aware of the duck jab, but everytime I've tried he still hits me with his own crossup JP. Do I have to wait till he's on the other side of me to do it? I don't know the timing if there is any, or if I just hit D+1 will it auto correct for me? I saw you and check do it millions of times but for some reason I myself still get hit when trying to anti-air a crossup punch.
Thanks for all the help guys btw, I've already gotten more decent at this just by reading and trying to adapt. Just need to clean up a few more things and I'll be fine. :)