What's new

Breakthrough - Kotal Kahn Safe-ish Sun Ray set-up

RYX

BIG PUSHER

General gist of it comes down to Kotal's throw giving him free Sun Rays vs most of the cast and most of them can't do anything about it.

In order to make it work you have to do sun ray immediately, on the first frame available. Even then some people can still blow you up but it usually costs them meter or requires they take a risk of some kind.

I made a list of everyone this doesn't work on and which variation if it's a specific one:
- Kuatan Warrior Goro (Quake/Tremor)
- Reptile ( EX Slide)
- Johnny ( EX Shadow Kick)
- Scorpion/Mileena/Ermac/Kung Lao (Teleports)
- Raiden (Electric Fly)/ Displacer Raiden (EX Teleport)
- Full Auto Jacqui ( Hand Cannon )
- Kung Jin ( BF3 )
- Necromancer Shinnok (Flick/Ground Fist)
- Kenshi ( "I'm low tier trust me" spirit man )

Most of the above options can be beaten with an EX Sun Disc/Sword Toss which will hit meaty and stop wake-ups, and IIRC Sword Toss when enhanced will stuff the armored ones because it hits 2 to 3 times.

It's also important to note that in Blood God, any totem is guaranteed versus everyone and you will always have + frames left over to move around with. In Sun God, Soul Scorch has the exact same frame data as his totems, giving you the same advantage left over along with a meter or health boost.

To also note, non-Kuatan Goro and every variation of Jason are completely free to this. Jason's teleport, even when he goes in on a Sun Ray, will get him full combo punished and you can backdash anything he does if he EX portals or just EX parry whatever his followup is and blow him up anyway. At best, Slasher Jason can chip you with a Machete Toss, but you'll heal it up anyway. Goro just has no answer at all without Ground Pound; you can uppercut his overhead and front stomps without him trading blows and you'll recover fast enough to block/poke him if he lands behind you.

@regulas I think you'll like this :DOGE

Last edited:

RYX

BIG PUSHER
nevermind, i forgot that videos have to upload first

I did the video against Takeda's teleport just to show off that you can block and punish him. I think his tornado flip thing can blow you up but I haven't checked yet

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It -seems- to be safe versus run attempts too, but you may still be at disadvantage vs people with faster runs (tested on mirror Kotal since he has the fastest run I think, I can't hit Kotal during his recovery but he has to respect an f.1 if you're coming in)

It'd be easier to test with a training partner, but yeah it seems relatively safe and you can make them guess if you're gonna parry/armor so it's sort of a toss-up

i'll try and test it more thoroughly after school