What's new

Rune Trap Still Possible

Xstatic

Noob
Quan Chi is still able to perform the Rune trap after a Sky Drop. Thanks to BigDaddyKrames for helping me test this.

After Sky Drop hits, 2,1~EX Rune must be blocked and cannot be escaped. This must be done without a dash or else it will juggle and not allow another series of attacks if the opponent tries to jump away. EDIT: A very quick dash also allows this, but it is hard to time and is not needed.

Along with this, 2,1~EX Rune can still be used to lock people down after a cross-up or on its own. With one meter, a blocked cross-up j1, 2, 1~EX Rune, ff, 212 does 19% damage and builds back half a bar of meter if everything is blocked. You can also continue to use meter for more damage or go for mix-ups after EX Rune hits.

Hopefully, this brings QC up a bit in the tiers.

Pagan

Noob
Nice work to Xstatic and BigDaddyKrames for finding this. I had played around with the E. rune a bit and it seemed like it was still viable just not being able to do it repeatedly like before. Quan Chi is one of my favorite characters in this game and I would love to see him become more viable.

Xstatic

Noob
You can still do it repeatedly, as far as I know. What would be the escape after a hit EN Rune? The stagger is long enough to dash in 2, 1~EN Rune again. The stagger off the Sky Drop got nerfed to not allow a safe jump, but the stagger on EN Rune is still there.

you get a safe jump after ENskull though
Correct but the difference is that the ex skull has to hit. So it's only an option if the opponent isn't blocking , if there in mid combo. I will post damage shortly but I think en rune to 2,1 en rune would be less damage then connected en skull safe jump 2. >2,1 en rune. Plus using the safe jump allows mixups

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
so is it confirmed that 1,1,sky drop, 2,1,en rune x3 is inescapable and still a working rune trap or can you jump out of it?
In my experience you can get all 3 if you have the full meter. However that may be to do with people not experienced against the rune trap. The timing is pretty strict if so.

I'm going to figure out how to counter the rune trap. ^dude above is stomping me with Crunchy, and I have the most knowledge out of all the randoms on how to disrupt it as well -_-

babalook

Noob
yes it is 100% garenteed but if you want a easier version you can 11teleport dash 113rune x3 the 11 cannot be ducked do to your advantage

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
yes it is 100% garenteed but if you want a easier version you can 11teleport dash 113rune x3 the 11 cannot be ducked do to your advantage
I've been palying around with Quan chi and have no problems with doing his rune trap but if what you posted works then why not just do that? It does more chip and has greater pushback.

babalook

Noob
I've been palying around with Quan chi and have no problems with doing his rune trap but if what you posted works then why not just do that? It does more chip and has greater pushback.
well the opponent can jump before the 3 hits and the 3 will hit them in the air makeing the rune trap not work(no one ever does this though unless thier mashing) but this could also be read if you opponent is doing it alot and you could cancel the 3 into trance for a combo

Xstatic

Noob
21~EN Rune cannot be escaped after 11~Sky Drop, but it requires you to do it quickly. 21~EN Rune x3 cannot be escaped.

EN Skull is pretty good too. You do it after hitting Trance to make the EN Skull a guaranteed hit. You get mix-ups after this, so it depends on whether you want mix-ups or damage.

I've been taking a break from Crunchy recently to focus on other characters. He just has so many problems against the top characters that it can be frustrating sometimes. The fact that he has crappy pokes, mid-range punishing options and wake-up options can really get to me sometimes. Crunchy can win if he can either zone someone out or get cross-up pressure going easily. If he can't do either of those things, he's screwed. Pretty limited.

21~EN Rune cannot be escaped after 11~Sky Drop, but it requires you to do it quickly. 21~EN Rune x3 cannot be escaped.

EN Skull is pretty good too. You do it after hitting Trance to make the EN Skull a guaranteed hit. You get mix-ups after this, so it depends on whether you want mix-ups or damage.
You have time to dash up after an EX Rune and do b+3,1+2 or b+3,3, as well as time to do f+1,2 without dashing, but the only overhead option is b+3,1+2.

Xstatic

Noob
You have time to dash up after an EX Rune and do b+3,1+2 or b+3,3, as well as time to do f+1,2 without dashing, but the only overhead option is b+3,1+2.
Three options that have lows or an easy to react to overhead aren't really mix-ups, but I see what you're saying. Can you get a grab right after a dash or do you have to wait a bit? Still good info.

Yeah, I think so. The issue with grabbing isn't doing it IN time, but AT the right time. You have to wait until the opponent is done being staggered before they can be grabbed, so you'd have to be pretty frame-precise to avoid jump-outs and some other escapes.