What's new

Return of charge attacks?

OK, so the chances of this happening are slim to none, but nevertheless, how would you feel about charge attacks coming back in MKX?

I quite liked the charge attacks in MK2 and MK3, since unlike Street Fighter they used attack buttons to charge rather than movement buttons, and thus were much easier to disguise and, IMO, more intuitive.

Admittedly balance on them would be a bit difficult (you don't want to end up with another MK2 Mileena lol), but I think it could work.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Mk9 Rain RoundHouse kick was chargable, sub-zero's x-ray was chargable.

Get ready to quit MKX, because there will be a lot of chargable attacks, and some of them even change directions.

Mk9 Rain RoundHouse kick was chargable, sub-zero's x-ray was chargable.

Get ready to quit MKX, because there will be a lot of chargable attacks, and some of them even change directions.
i dont think thats what he means. in MK2 charging was not an option but a requirement for mileenas sais to come out. just like a sonic boom.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I would not be against it.
Just experiment with one or two characters to see how it works out.
Maybe even try a directional based charged character, would be interesting to see in a game with a block button.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I don't like charge attacks and don't want them. I never used Liu Kang's bicycle kick in Mk3 because it required charging. I'm all for chargeable attacks - where you have the option to charge, but not ones where you have to charge just to have the move come out.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
That's why this thread was created.
thats what the OP was saying
Sorry, i have Sherlock Holmes syndrome, in my head only fits what it feels important to me, other than that are dropped and easely forgotten :p

I wouldnt mind at all, but from the way the game is designed, it might be a good idea, but the charge time had to be strict, or we would end up having air gas. blast from mk9 again

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I don't like charge attacks and don't want them. I never used Liu Kang's bicycle kick in Mk3 because it required charging. I'm all for chargeable attacks - where you have the option to charge, but not ones where you have to charge just to have the move come out.
You would use it if you are vunerable whilst charging but during execution, it gave unblockable damage.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
You wouldn't even have to waste a character on trying it, it could just be one variation out of 3.

Though I would want something more like Balrog or Q, then Guile.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
hmmm .... no ..... anything with 2 or 3 seconds "input time" to be released in the screen could affect the game normal fast pace ..... MKX is supposed to be very dynamic and probably anything that has some minor delay to come out can be very disastrous in terms of gameplay mechanic.

cyke_out

Noob
Holding one button down won't affect the pace of the game as you could still move and attack with the other buttons.

The major downside is for pad players, unless they use the claw method or remap the shoulder buttons. But that just brings back SC4 hilde nightmares for me.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
You would use it if you are vunerable whilst charging but during execution, it gave unblockable damage.
Sounds about right. Like Ermac's B2. It doesn't have to be unblockable though. I mean I'd have no problems with a chargeable projectile that does more damage the longer you charge, or something like that.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I don't care for it. It makes it difficult to combo into specials when they need to be charged unless the button needed isn't in the string.

I'm not against a "store" mechanic like Juri's fireballs. The thing I like about that is you can end a combo with the special and save a projectile.