What's new

RESULTS - #UMK3 Get it in Ohio 2016!

Sorry everyone. I would have already had the footage converted and uploaded of MKT, but I had terrible car trouble and spent six more hours than I expected at a gas station in Kentucky. I will be getting everything in order as soon as I can. The event was awesome and I had a great time! Thanks to everyone who came and played! I can't wait for the next event and hope everyone can attend again. Keep a look out for updates on the Cinderslam booth I am planning on operating for MKT N64, because I hope many of you can attend!

Last edited:

McLOV1NS

Noob
Sounds good. I'd prefer another tourny spot but it's w.e I guess. we dealt with too much bullshit in Cincinnati wasn't a good stay but at least tourny was cool. and mluckins dope MK crib
Hotel had blood stains on sheets n apparently cum stain on couch, needle in the cushions. had 2 get swapped out . poor wifi service. Public bathrooms had lines in the theater or diapers filled with shit. restaurant gave us hard bread, dry salad n poor service. chose 2 eat outdoors to find bird shit on all tables n chairs.

Fitness room in hotel had non working treadmills n hot water coming out of all water fountains. Mall bathroom had no soap n big piss pool we had to somersault over plus barely any stores open.

Our hotel floor had ghetto thugs smokin pot, settin off a big fire alarm on our last night preventing us from sleeping before drivin 7 hours home.

The list goes longer but I can't remember no more lol
Lmao damn, well next time there's a tournament around here and your going give me a heads up. Im pretty knowledgeable of the cheaper/better hotels and the more quality restaurants. As for the mall, its basically open because 1. Arcade Legacy and 2. Its a tax write off for the owner. It was the shit in it hey day though.

McLOV1NS

Noob
Just got home... We hit the road at 9 am and I got home at 9 pm, so about 12 hours of being on the road but it was worth every minute.

Honestly one of the best times of my entire life.

Huge thanks to @tehdrewsus for all the time and effort he put into this and to @Killer Cam Whitmore for the sponsorship, and to both of you for making this happen. Thanks to Arcade Legacy as well for hosting this outstanding event for my favorite game of all time.

It was great to meet all of you guys in person. I wish there would have been more pictures/footage of the players chilling and hanging out.

Got to finally meet my boy @Juggs which was awesome in itself. We got to play a FT5 and he got me really good... he beat me 5-1. Bro, I didn't know you were so good with Nightwolf and Sonya... much respect for the counter picking intellect and array of character use. I loved that you pulled out your Ermac as well. You are a phenomenal player bro and your play on Saturday was extremely impressive, and you barely had time to train. You are a classy and honorable warrior.

GG's to @YourMKArcadeSource in the tournament, it was great to finally meet you. We had some epic matches. Awesome Unmasked Sub-Zero!

@Trukuu777 glad you made it out and got to see some high level players play some Trilogy and that you got to experience such an epic event as well as learn some tips to increase your skills!!!

Huge thanks to @McLOV1NS for hosting the post tournament game session at his epic MK man cave... wow, just wow. Maybe the sickest man cave I have ever been in, especially because Mortal Kombat is my favorite game of all time. Any fighting game enthusiast would pay their respect to it though.

GG's to everyone there, it was such a blast. We chilled until 5 am.... and no one even wanted to stop but shit... we kinda had to. What an epic time!!!

@Ziggy and @Drakonian it was so awesome to meet you guys, you are both outstanding players and extremely cool dudes... I liked chilling with you guys a lot... I look forward to chilling with you both more.

@ddy_08 same to you my friend, it was so awesome to finally meet you in person! Since we live so close we will definitely be linking up more often!!! It is worth the 2 hour drive to play such a great player!!!

@tehdrewsus extremely impressive play by you bro.... never have I been so impressed by a player who has only been playing 3 years competitively and is already on such a high level..... never.

my boy @McLOV1NS... it was awesome meeting you too man, I look forward to chilling more! epic games too and congrats on beating me in the tournament... epic battle that went down to the fifth game. Great games in the casuals as well, as well as the Street Fighter 2 action on your cabinet... very impressive player.

GG's to everyone I played and met, @Spic Unit it was nice to finally meet you and great job in the tournament.

Huge congrats to @NoDoubt and @Juggs for their placings respectively in such a hard tournament.

I was talking with the krew and hopefully we can make an Ohio event happen once a year.... I know me and @ddy_08 are both down no matter what!
Thanks for the good words @dubson
Very encouraging. I do remember several years back before I was as active as I was here, out of town at my cousin's house playing against your Sektor and getting bodied. It was almost surreal sitting and playing with all the OG's and hanging right there with you all.

@NoDoubt @Spic Unit @Juggs I know we didn't get to play a lot of sets - I think Juggs and I only got a FT3 or a FT5 in casuals, and I don't think we were even counting. I look forward to playing you guys again. Very cool chilling with you guys. Lot of fun playing Spic Unit and NoDoubt in MKT casuals afterwards. UMK3 is already fast paced, high level trilogy was AMAZING

@ddy_08 until we meet again man! I sense a potential long standing friendly tournament rivalry. Great meeting you in person.

@Drakonian pleasure getting to hang out with you for a few days man. After almost 3 years playing online it was cool to get offline matches in. Definitely gotta move to Cincinnati LOL.

@YourMKArcadeSource that Sub-Zero. I know he's a "low tier" character but you made him look like he belonged in a tournament setting for sure. Awesome getting to hang and talk, you're a walking bastion of knowledge.

@Trukuu777 Thanks so much for recording MKT and spreading that love for the game. I probably won't get a chance to make it down for that convention since I'm getting married a few weeks after, but I'll support it in any way I can. Hope you all got home safe. It was cool talking to someone whose first games for consoles included the MK series (MK for genesis and MKT for N64). Pilot wings? Mario 64? Child please. lol

@McLOV1NS again huge thanks for opening your house up for us Friday and Saturday night. It was cool seeing REAL pieces of MK history.

I've had the day to think about things. I'm still going to decompress and take a little time off (lots of life events coming up), but I'm going to actively start seeking sponsorship for Get it in Ohio 2017. Having 13 players and over 20 overall for the first year - I bet we could double it for next year. We keep leveling up, and it'll be even better! I had a few people at the arcade asking me about the tournament, that were just enthralled by the game play. That's how we get the seeds planted.

Till next time!

McLOV1NS

Noob
Guys, truly the pleasure was all mine in hosting the casuals. Very thankful for all the comments I was given on the room that has taken years to put together. Also very good matches between all of us and hopefully a tradition of some sorts has formed over this experience. Last but not least I'd like to again thank Mike aka @YourMKArcadeSource, for the Juggernaut chips and installing my 2 in one Umk3/Mk4 board. He not only did this at 2am but had a hell of a time with huge travel difficulties and free of charge. Mike as always your the man!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Also, for the next tournament, I'll personally make sure it's properly promoted/marketed on TYM. If I had known none of the staff here were going to I would have, hardly anyone even knew about it which was a shame.

So how does everyone feel about another tournament in the summer? Maybe at the same place or in Ohio somewhere? Possibly at a major so we get more entrants?

Also, for the next tournament, I'll personally make sure it's properly promoted/marketed on TYM. If I had known none of the staff here were going to I would have, hardly anyone even knew about it which was a shame.

So how does everyone feel about another tournament in the summer? Maybe at the same place or in Ohio somewhere? Possibly at a major so we get more entrants?
I would happily run this event again.

I reached out to as many people as I could personally and tagging in posts. I also took to reddit and wanted to promote the event and arcade legacy because they were having an event there the night before. Unfortunately that ended up not happening.
Although the numbers were low, I've gotten remarks about how the level of gameplay was higher than it had ever been at a prior event.

dubson

Noob

quality over quantity for me.

so # of entrants doesn't matter as much to me as the level of kompetition attending, similar to this tournament. this tournament was packed with high level players and placing 1/2 meant and stood for that much more.

so whatever works for the majority of high level players is what i am in favor of.

i kinda liked that this was "its own thing" and not at a major, because i feel like it got more attention and hype that way, whereas at a major it could get overshadowed being so old/classic now. but that's just one way of looking at it.. as unfortunately like you said it didn't get properly promoted on fight night, and at a major it could get a massive amount of promoting/attention. pros and cons to each way i suppose.

but i'm down for whatever the players want.

#TheKlassicsNeverDie

NoDoubt

nasty
I'd say this wus one of the best run stream/tourny with good 3/5 call on set win. Hopefully vids can go 2 YouTube without the audio de synch

as far as high level players together, nec2010 still wins with Marv, Crazy D, ac1984, summoning, DC hustle, REO, shock, juggs...it was too much under 1 roof that night

Season beatings 2011 had Reo, shock, moe, rouse brothers, mluckins n a few others I got 2nd in.

My first tourny win in nec 2011 had similar number like this ohio one but filled with crazy cats again with ac1984, Reo, crazy D, w1nter warz, summoning, detroitballn n shock was there but couldn't play.

Most tournies ever focused on umk3 alone tho so this one was good for what it was n I liked the stream fonts u guys used too

Mgo

Noob
good to see those names on the final!. Im not american but these guys are clearly two of the best and most interested for this game there, since years.

Drakonian

Shady Divizio
Hey guys, I got back earlier yesterday. I ended up missing my departure and stayed an extra day, but the funny thing is, it couldn't have worked out better because if I hadn't I never would have been able to play with all of you and have that amazing session until sunrise over at @McLOV1NS house. It makes me wonder if everything happens for a reason because I wouldn't have traded that for anything.

I wanna say thanks @tehdrewsus for the effort you put into this event and getting everything together, I'm completely behind you and agree that we should definitely make this an annual thing. I also want to thank you for opening up your home to me and for your generosity and hospitality.

@Killer Cam Whitmore without you none of this would have even happened, you've done more than anyone has in a long time for this game that we all love. You've really done something for the kommunity and it really means something. thank you.

@McLOV1NS it was great to meet you, you have an incredible collection. I really appreciate you having us over the weekend and those matches in the man cave were some of the best, I'll never forget them. Thank you for your hospitality and keep the collection going !

@Ziggy & @dubson you guys are my homies, nothing but good vibes and some of the best matches. @Ziggy I was really psyched on our matches prior to the tournament, they were dope. @dubson we have to get together again very soon, it was great to finally meet you and I really enjoyed playing and talking with you as well.. the trifecta !

@ddy_08 I'm glad that we were able to finally meet, you're an excellent player with a great attitude and very humble as well. I really enjoyed our matches, you're one of the most well-rounded players I've had the pleasure to play and hope we can all get together and do this again very soon.

@YourMKArcadeSource you're an extremely knowledgeable person with all things MK and I really respect that you're always down to travel and support the game anyway you can. I enjoyed meeting you and I'm also planning on attending the next Shang's Fight Night to kick it with Divizio, maybe I'll see you there.

@Trukuu777 I had a blast playing with you, you're very passionate about MKT and I want to thank you for recording and taking pictures for the event. I was having way too much fun trolling everyone with psykoballs, I can't wait to see the gameplay when you post them. We have to do this again very soon and always stay retro !

@Juggs @NoDoubt & @Spic Unit to the OG's, I had an amazing time playing with all of you and hope that we can do it again very soon and also thank you guys so much for the compliments and advice.. hopefully next time I won't make as many careless mistakes :)

Thanks again to everyone involved including @Osirun and Arcade Legacy, it was an amazing event with many incredible players. Again, great playing and meeting all of you and also thanks a lot @Juggs for the kind words, the honor is mine. I feel a UMK3 and MKT resurgence brewing and it is well deserved with all the high level play over this weekend, we definitely got it in and congrats to @NoDoubt for winning the tournament.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
good to see those names on the final!. Im not american but these guys are clearly two of the best and most interested for this game there, since years.
The competition is nice, the others aren't far behind at all, right there with us actually. I was going to be done with UMK3 after this tournament, but shakin off the rust and playin offline made me realize how much I love this game! I'll be at the next tournament for sure.

The competition is nice, the others aren't far behind at all, right there with us actually. I was going to be done with UMK3 after this tournament, but shakin off the rust and playin offline made me realize how much I love this game! I'll be at the next tournament for sure.
I want to do a 2/3 round robin to determine seedings next time instead of totally random seeding. As random as it was, There ended up being 4 guys from the same "region" playing each other in near succession. Us Ohio guys cannibalized each other. I took out Darius, McLovins took out Ziggy and myself.

EDIT: @McLOV1NS you won the battle of Cincinnati. for now. lol

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I want to do a 2/3 round robin to determine seedings next time instead of totally random seeding. As random as it was, There ended up being 4 guys from the same "region" playing each other in near succession. Us Ohio guys cannibalized each other. I took out Darius, McLovins took out Ziggy and myself.

EDIT: @McLOV1NS you won the battle of Cincinnati. for now. lol
You can use this tounament for seeding though, that's how seeding is normally done, based on past tournaments.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
From just ONE tournament though?
I'd figured 2 or 3 at first
Yeah, it starts with just one. Like the top 16 would get some seeding, since we didn't have that many, probably the top 5 would get like 1-10 seeding points or something. Like NoDoubt would get 10, me 8, sp1c 6, then 4 then 2. And you can do additional regional seeding as well.

A few things I thought I should state/ask:

First of all, GG's to everyone at the event. I am not sure how to tag people individually, but I didn't participate in or spectate a single match that wasn't great. I have watched kompetitive UMK3/MKT for years, and there isn't anything quite like being there! I will keep practicing and hope our next matches are even better!

Regarding an event in the summer, I have been planning a tourney for a while now in the Mississippi area. I would like to know if those that showed up to this last event would be interested in it. I would love to do it, and would diligently work on a prize and set-up (maybe someone might be interested in helping with that too), but I would like to test the waters and see if I could garner any interest. The event in MS is pretty big and will have a nice chunk of people there, seems like a good chance to introduce people to the game to me. Thoughts?

Regarding the recordings, sorry for not having the videos done already, but it has been issue after issue thus far. Fortunately I finally got the digital conversions finished, and it won't require much prepping to have them completed now. The Post-Tourney MKT casuals will be uploaded later today as long as everything goes as planned.

Plus, could "seeding" be explained to me a little better? What is the purpose and what effect does it have on Kompetitions?

A few things I thought I should state/ask:

First of all, GG's to everyone at the event. I am not sure how to tag people individually, but I didn't participate in or spectate a single match that wasn't great. I have watched kompetitive UMK3/MKT for years, and there isn't anything quite like being there! I will keep practicing and hope our next matches are even better!

Regarding an event in the summer, I have been planning a tourney for a while now in the Mississippi area. I would like to know if those that showed up to this last event would be interested in it. I would love to do it, and would diligently work on a prize and set-up (maybe someone might be interested in helping with that too), but I would like to test the waters and see if I could garner any interest. The event in MS is pretty big and will have a nice chunk of people there, seems like a good chance to introduce people to the game to me. Thoughts?

Regarding the recordings, sorry for not having the videos done already, but it has been issue after issue thus far. Fortunately I finally got the digital conversions finished, and it won't require much prepping to have them completed now. The Post-Tourney MKT casuals will be uploaded later today as long as everything goes as planned.

Plus, could "seeding" be explained to me a little better? What is the purpose and what effect does it have on Kompetitions?
I'll try to do what I can to be there - but if I can't be there (getting married in June and I have 2 kids already) I'll do what I can do support it.

Seeding essentially keeps the top players from facing each other until closer to the tournament's end - For instance, if we relied solely on this tournament for seeding, and the same 13 players played, it would be something like:
1. nodoubt vs 13. twiztid world
2. juggs vs. 9 ziggy
3. sp1c unit vs 9. yourmkarcadesource
4. mclovins vs 9. darius
5. dubson vs 9. trukuu
and so on.
13 is a weird bracket though so 1 and 2 would get byes first round, but you get it.

I'll try to do what I can to be there - but if I can't be there (getting married in June and I have 2 kids already) I'll do what I can do support it.

Seeding essentially keeps the top players from facing each other until closer to the tournament's end - For instance, if we relied solely on this tournament for seeding, and the same 13 players played, it would be something like:
1. nodoubt vs 13. twiztid world
2. juggs vs. 9 ziggy
3. sp1c unit vs 9. yourmkarcadesource
4. mclovins vs 9. darius
5. dubson vs 9. trukuu
and so on.
13 is a weird bracket though so 1 and 2 would get byes first round, but you get it.
Thanks for droppin' the knowledge on me! I understand if you wouldn't be able to attend. I hope the big day goes great, and of course I wish the best upon your family!