What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Reptile Reptile variation discussion

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I'm making this thread to start a discussion about the differences in Reptile's variations and the reasons you'd be switching between them.

What made you choose the variation that you play? List pros and cons about it.

Personally, I play Noxious because I feel that Basilisk and Invis require meter for proper usage and that meter saved is better used for armor and making a full use of B3/F3. Poison Gas requires little to no work to be effective and also adds extra damage to throws and F21 1+3 as well as pressuring your opponent.

With that said, he doesn't get the ability to hash out big damage in the corner like Nimble or getting a slight defense buff like Deceptive.

Zaccel

Noob
In my eyes, Nimble is the "best", but not dramatically more effective. For the meter spent, the corner carry (or potential corner damage) is great, but that's just the thing: by having the most to do with meter, meter becomes especially precious to Nimble. Not sure how extreme a downside that really is, but still.

Deceptive to me, in a word: "functional". Armored no-damage invis has good uses, and a literally-unseeable mixup could come in handy as a counterpick to a player, rather than a character. Still my least favorite, since losing it on block is bothersome when you really want to spend a meter on it. Meterless invis feels like some kind of prank, on both the player and their opponent.

Personally, I play Noxious because I feel that Basilisk and Invis require meter for proper usage and that meter saved is better used for armor and making a full use of B3/F3. Poison Gas requires little to no work to be effective and also adds extra damage to throws and F21 1+3 as well as pressuring your opponent.
This is why Noxious is my favorite, as well. Vanilla, I don't think it's worth much, but you get a decent return on the dd3 version after a knockdown. You don't lose it on block, which is great. Works wonders during close situations, baits, and against a comeback. EX dd3 is cool, but it's not really required in the way Nimble and Deceptive need it, which relaxes meter options. Beating someone by standing a hair outside of attack range and killing them with nothing is wonderful.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
In my eyes, Nimble is the "best", but not dramatically more effective. For the meter spent, the corner carry (or potential corner damage) is great, but that's just the thing: by having the most to do with meter, meter becomes especially precious to Nimble. Not sure how extreme a downside that really is, but still.

Deceptive to me, in a word: "functional". Armored no-damage invis has good uses, and a literally-unseeable mixup could come in handy as a counterpick to a player, rather than a character. Still my least favorite, since losing it on block is bothersome when you really want to spend a meter on it. Meterless invis feels like some kind of prank, on both the player and their opponent.

This is why Noxious is my favorite, as well. Vanilla, I don't think it's worth much, but you get a decent return on the dd3 version after a knockdown. You don't lose it on block, which is great. Works wonders during close situations, baits, and against a comeback. EX dd3 is cool, but it's not really required in the way Nimble and Deceptive need it, which relaxes meter options. Beating someone by standing a hair outside of attack range and killing them with nothing is wonderful.
EX Poison Gas is very effective when you get your opponent to just sit at the end of a round, meterless, in the corner, after a knockdown. A throw will do ~19% with it on. Godlike.

Xev

Noob
You've pretty much mirrored my thoughts variation wise Fraud Blank. I started off using nimble for awhile, then this week I switched over to noxious and already enjoying it a lot more. I also absolutely love the animation he does when you activate poison gas, just looks so hilarious.

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
I'd prefer to use the extra bar of meter for his f21 string and ex klaw/slide, so Noxious is the variation that I use 98% of the time.

I also prefer to have the option to f412 into poison gas in the corner, as it gives you enough time to bait any wakeups and then go back into corner pressure.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
I just play nimble, and only because it's the most fun and adds a new dimension to his gameplay and new combos. It's a real struggle to use effectively, but at lower levels ppl will let you get away sometimes with doing a naked basilisk.

I enjoy deceptive the most because it allows you to take calculated risks with regular stealth. The enhanced version is also nice to make footsies really tough for opponents. This usually results in them doi panic moves to remove you from invisibility.
Nimble is cool but it is rare to land f412. I guess the 2 meter options are nice to boost damage though.
Noxious gives raw damage but no other benefits that I can see. Maybe it makes blocking better? To soak up chip and ttrade life.

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
Noxious gives raw damage but no other benefits that I can see. Maybe it makes blocking better? To soak up chip and ttrade life.
You got it man. The DOT and constant ticks are an absolute god send, and when some matches are close to closure, sometimes I'll activate fumes and put all my blocking into practice and just watch them die

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I enjoy deceptive the most because it allows you to take calculated risks with regular stealth. The enhanced version is also nice to make footsies really tough for opponents. This usually results in them doi panic moves to remove you from invisibility.
Nimble is cool but it is rare to land f412. I guess the 2 meter options are nice to boost damage though.
I don't play Nimble but maybe you can OS the EX Basilisk for F412. It's definitely good damage.

And yea for Noxious the stink gives extra damage on combos, throws, blockstrings and simply defending. It's especially useful in the corner with a F412 xx Stink ender or even EX Stink ender

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
If I outclass my opponent, I go variationless. Just because all 3 of reptile's varations aren't essential. They're like a slight buff or compliment.
I use nimble offline for the 40%+ in the corner.
I use noxious against opponents that don't have good zoning or that do NOT have a teleport.
I use deceptive when my opponent blocks alot of my attacks.