What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile Pre-Release General Discussions Thread

Are you hype for Reptile?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually prefer the Reptilian Reptile. I think it looks way more badass and gives more room for creativity.
I don't mind Reptilian Reptile, even though it makes the character just look like a bland, dumb, drooling Riptor from KI instead of a stylish ninja-spy with a secret reptilian identity. What I have a problem with is that they make BOTH his costumes look practically the same thing. That's the opposite of being creative. I think he should at least have a human (or at the very least, more humanoid) costume since that's what he was until MK4.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I don't mind Reptilian Reptile, even though it makes the character just look like a bland, dumb, drooling Riptor from KI instead of a stylish ninja-spy with a secret reptilian identity. What I have a problem with is that they make BOTH his costumes look practically the same thing. That's the opposite of being creative. I think he should at least have a human (or at the very least, more humanoid) costume since that's what he was until MK4.
I wasn't referring to costume creativity, but gameplay and I couldn't disagree more tbh. His alt is meant to be a head nod to human reptile, and I'm sure they will release a skin for it anyway. However, I much prefer Reptile over a boring green ninja clone.

I wasn't referring to costume creativity, but gameplay and I couldn't disagree more tbh. His alt is meant to be a head nod to human reptile, and I'm sure they will release a skin for it anyway. However, I much prefer Reptile over a boring green ninja clone.
Except that having the green ninja outift does not take any of the creative "reptilian" moves away from Reptile. He could still have his acid spit, forceballs, serpent dash, acid slide, invisibility (all of which he actually had in UMK3 already) his acrobatic moves, his acid hand, claw pounds aaaaand his tongue grapple and still look like a human ninja.

I honestly can't see any resemblance of a nod to human reptile in neither of his costumes. And I'm not sure if they'll release a human skin for him. Even if they do, it's likely that it'll simply be his MK1/2/UMK3 costume. A non-updated classic one. I want a new, redesigned costume featuring a human-ninja reptile. Which honestly is not asking too much.

I respect your and many other people's opinion that it makes sense for Reptile to look like a, well... reptile. But I truly wonder why must this be the only appearance he has from MK4 to the rest of the MK franchise until the end times if he already looked human before. It's the same as having only a flaming skull Scorpion costume which allows more creativity because Scorpion can spit hellfire and whatnot by always being a flaming skull instead of a regular masked ninja that reveals his undead nature under some circumstances alone.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Except that having the green ninja outift does not take any of the creative "reptilian" moves away from Reptile. He could still have his acid spit, forceballs, serpent dash, acid slide, invisibility (all of which he actually had in UMK3 already) his acrobatic moves, his acid hand, claw pounds aaaaand his tongue grapple and still look like a human ninja.

I honestly can't see any resemblance of a nod to human reptile in neither of his costumes. And I'm not sure if they'll release a human skin for him. Even if they do, it's likely that it'll simply be his MK1/2/UMK3 costume. A non-updated classic one. I want a new, redesigned costume featuring a human-ninja reptile. Which honestly is not asking too much.

I respect your and many other people's opinion that it makes sense for Reptile to look like a, well... reptile. But I truly wonder why must this be the only appearance he has from MK4 to the rest of the MK franchise until the end times if he already looked human before. It's the same as having only a flaming skull Scorpion costume which allows more creativity because Scorpion can spit hellfire and whatnot by always being a flaming skull instead of a regular masked ninja that reveals his undead nature under some circumstances alone.
Ok so his specials might look the same, there are other aspects aside from this. His throw being an example. If I saw human reptile do this it would just be weird and wouldn't make sense to me. I would like to add I don't dislike human reptile at all btw (I think yer design looks sick btw), I just love the feel of newer models way more. He has a primal sort of aura while still being ninja-like and I love that about him.

Ok so his specials might look the same, there are other aspects aside from this. His throw being an example. If I saw human reptile do this it would just be weird and wouldn't make sense to me. I would like to add I don't dislike human reptile at all btw (I think yer design looks sick btw), I just love the feel of newer models way more. He has a primal sort of aura while still being ninja-like and I love that about him.
I think there could be some workarounds in regards on his throw. Or he could simply wear a mask that opens up and his tongue comes out as usual. Wouldn't be any weirder than him spitting acid while looking human in my opinion.

I prefer the human look for Reptile, but I would never want it to be his only look - after all he is a reptile and him becoming more obviously reptilian is even part of the lore. But I still think that, for sake of character depth and diversity, they could reintroduce a human-ninja version of him again (alongside his reptilian usual costumes). BTW that design isn't mine, I merely drew an approximation of an unused costume showed in MK9 artbook for Reptile

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Not sure if it was known, but something I noticed I thought I'd share. His slash move, the one that you can stand and hit that is a combo when you EX it. All this time I thought it was an overhead but it isn't. Kitana blocked the regular version low and at 51:43 of the Reptile vs Kitana stream blocked the EX version blocking low.

Surprising that move isn't an overhead.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Not sure if it was known, but something I noticed I thought I'd share. His slash move, the one that you can stand and hit that is a combo when you EX it. All this time I thought it was an overhead but it isn't. Kitana blocked the regular version low and at 51:43 of the Reptile vs Kitana stream blocked the EX version blocking low.

Surprising that move isn't an overhead.
This is Mortal Kombat the most likely option is that the opponent fuzzy guarded. I hate fuzzy guarding...because I am pretty sure both the flip claw and standing claw are both overheads.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This is Mortal Kombat the most likely option is that the opponent fuzzy guarded. I hate fuzzy guarding...because I am pretty sure both the flip claw and standing claw are both overheads.
I can't look again right now, but also look at 53:06 of the Reptile stream. Kitana is just holding down for like 2 seconds and Reptile does the non meter version and it's blocked. :confused:

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I can't look again right now, but also look at 53:06 of the Reptile stream. Kitana is just holding down for like 2 seconds and Reptile does the non meter version and it's blocked. :confused:
They say in the stream that it's an overhead. It's just MK's fuzzy guard.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
They say in the stream that it's an overhead. It's just MK's fuzzy guard.
Yea I know they said that. That's why I pointed it out. I saw it four times in the match and not once did it crush low block. One time Kitana just held low block for 2 seconds, Reptile walked up and did it, and it was blocked. Not sure if Tyler is out there fuzzy guarding lol. Was wondering if they made a mistake saying it was overhead.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Yea I know they said that. That's why I pointed it out. I saw it four times in the match and not once did it crush low block. One time Kitana just held low block for 2 seconds, Reptile walked up and did it, and it was blocked. Not sure if Tyler is out there fuzzy guarding lol. Was wondering if they made a mistake saying it was overhead.
Well, they have said before the games not finished. It is possible that the coding in the game is not an overhead yet. Hopefully it will get fixed by released if true.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Well, they have said before the games not finished. It is possible that the coding in the game is not an overhead yet. Hopefully it will get fixed by released if true.
That's exactly what I was about to post. A couple of times it was just blocked cleaned from crouch, but most like it may have been changed to overhead for the final version. they made it a point to say it was an overhead so I'm thinking that the build was the case.

This may be already discussed but did they mention at any point whether or not you could be hit out of invisibility? Or specify whether chip damage would do it?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
This may be already discussed but did they mention at any point whether or not you could be hit out of invisibility? Or specify whether chip damage would do it?
This is actually a very good question. On one hand I would say no, it's like his previous invisibility. But on the other hand, people like Ermac and Mileena now have invisibility that makes them unable to be hit.

Being that they used a whole variation it just may be the latter. Type of question that can decide if I fully main a character! :coffee:

The deceptive variation will simply be majorly underpowered (compared to the other 2 variations) if invisibility is like in MK9 (gets canceled out of any hit, blocked or not, and has a timer). You could argue that "invisibility grants a damage buff", but that buff only applied to the EX version in MK9 and the buff was negligible. You would gain about 5% more damage total if you did his most damaging combo.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
The deceptive variation will simply be majorly underpowered (compared to the other 2 variations) if invisibility is like in MK9 (gets canceled out of any hit, blocked or not, and has a timer). You could argue that "invisibility grants a damage buff", but that buff only applied to the EX version in MK9 and the buff was negligible. You would gain about 5% more damage total if you did his most damaging combo.
I think it'll be his worst by a longshot. A choice between constant big time chip damage, flash trait and invisibility? I see myself taking the former two way more often than the others.

I think it'll be his worst by a longshot. A choice between constant big time chip damage, flash trait and invisibility? I see myself taking the former two way more often than the others.
Yes, indeed. But if invisibility is either not disabled by any hit (blocked or not) and wears off after a set time OR if invisibility is only disabled by unblocked hits (no timer), then it could be a significantly useful variation for mixups and mindgames. I personally find myself using Reptile's invisibility in MK9 after certain combo strings that leave the opponent hesitant to make a decision. Like, do 1,2,2 invisibility then either NJP or do 3, 2, 1 + slide or acid hand or do 3,2,1 invisibility then 1,2,2. It has about 70% chance of success.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Yes, indeed. But if invisibility is either not disabled by any hit (blocked or not) and wears off after a set time OR if invisibility is only disabled by unblocked hits (no timer), then it could be a significantly useful variation for mixups and mindgames. I personally find myself using Reptile's invisibility in MK9 after certain combo strings that leave the opponent hesitant to make a decision. Like, do 1,2,2 invisibility then either NJP or do 3, 2, 1 + slide or acid hand or do 3,2,1 invisibility then 1,2,2. It has about 70% chance of success.
The way the invis seems to work this game is going to depend on how you do it if I understand correctly. I agree it could be a pain, I just don't see the advantages adding up enough to make me want to use it more than the others...though I'm certainly going to try my damndest to break all of his variations lol.

The way the invis seems to work this game is going to depend on how you do it if I understand correctly. I agree it could be a pain, I just don't see the advantages adding up enough to make me want to use it more than the others...though I'm certainly going to try my damndest to break all of his variations lol.
Good thing is that regardless of how Invisibility will work on Reptile, he seems like a pretty capable character already. Slowing down time? Damaging your opponent the entire match? Having 90% of your special and normal moves across every variation? Stopping forceballs?! That's definitely shit to be considered.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Invisibility will mostly be a mindful, but I can see some uses behind it for matchups.

I've been saying this since it was revealed...spacing out a character becomes near impossible if you can't see them. I'd imagine invisibility will have its place, still, in matchups where pure footsies are more utilized.

That said, I could be wrong. And it may need some sort of damage boost to add to its usage, or faster recovery on the uncharged version.

Status
Not open for further replies.