What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
All I want to add or input here is that i honestly think reptile vs sheeva is a broken matchup in sheevas favor. If sheeva just telestomps all day with exception of some other specials like her fireball mixed in once in a while, it feels totally unfair and unbalanced.

Don't know how rest yall feel about that, or if I'm missing something, but I hqte thqt matchup lol.
It's the total opposite. If Sheeva tries telestomp, while Reptile isn't doing anything, he just dashes away. And d4 wrecks her shit. It's way in Reptile's favor.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
ive learned against the sonya matchup to not do as many d4 acid hands and ex dash..

whif a d4 or if she reads one she is probably the only character than can punish it so easily for 40%
and ex dash sonya players can jump mid dash and instant dive kick you for full punish... cheap and gay i know

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Sheeva is the easiest matchup of all time. EX forceball also beats telestomp. Shes also to slow to really punish dash.

Icy X

Noob
All I want to add or input here is that i honestly think reptile vs sheeva is a broken matchup in sheevas favor. If sheeva just telestomps all day with exception of some other specials like her fireball mixed in once in a while, it feels totally unfair and unbalanced.

Don't know how rest yall feel about that, or if I'm missing something, but I hqte thqt matchup lol.
I wasn't really serious here. I'm just talking about that matchup just screws with me. Probably because I've played against sheeva so much with my fiance.... Idk i just don't like the matchup how she plays her lol.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Sorry but why is Mileena still considered a bad MU?

I don't even think it's a .5 anymore, really leaning towards a true 5-5.

Medina4life

Media Master
Sheeva vs Reptile is 7-3 for Reptile. That isn't even funny anymore. I feel bad for Jeremiah each time I play him. As reptile, you can also take a half step back and do standing 1 into forceball combo on her tele stomp.. It's hilarious

THTB

Am I on crack? Because I'm thinking of the Sonya matchup and I'm realizing I'm not afraid of this character anymore.

Divekick is gay, but a good Sonya isn't throwing this out every 5 seconds. And the only worry while she is grounded is d4 and EX cartwheel in footsies. What threat does she pose on blocked d4 xx acid hand at max range? All out other normals also outrange her flat out. And she had to divekick to stop dash, and Reptile had the most reliable divekick punish.

Idk, it was weird that playing Riu48 didn't feel as hard as it should've been at MLG. I'm starting to realize why. I think this matchup is not that bad anymore, and having it even wouldn't surprise me.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Am I on crack? Because I'm thinking of the Sonya matchup and I'm realizing I'm not afraid of this character anymore.

Divekick is gay, but a good Sonya isn't throwing this out every 5 seconds. And the only worry while she is grounded is d4 and EX cartwheel in footsies. What threat does she pose on blocked d4 xx acid hand at max range? All out other normals also outrange her flat out. And she had to divekick to stop dash, and Reptile had the most reliable divekick punish.

Idk, it was weird that playing Riu48 didn't feel as hard as it should've been at MLG. I'm starting to realize why. I think this matchup is not that bad anymore, and having it even wouldn't surprise me.
After playing players like blake and death I am scared to death of the mu, because even though they don't want to dive kick all the time, they can always threaten you with it and jump. Her jumps ins are almost free (unless you have meter) and also d4 into ms low into cartwheel seriously messes me up all the time, idk what to do against it. I am afraid to even think about fb's if she is any closer than 3/4 screen, unless I use ex sfb. Ex cartwheel can blow up any of my mixups. I just can't play my game in this mu and it really frustrates me.

Death

Noob
I noticed a couple Reptile players saying it was 7-3 Sonya in the Sonya thread I made. I wouldn't be suprised. I played pretty much every Reptile out there with Sonya and the result wasn't very good. Maybe in time if the Reptile players learn the MU like they did with Mileena it could get better but Sonya is a whole different animal than what the Mileena/Reptile MU ever was.

THTB

You have to remember that you can b4 her d4. That is her only threat when grounded. Yes, you have to be aware of divekick, but you can't win on that threat alone. There's ways to avoid getting comboed by divekick. She has holes elsewhere that Reptile can exploit.

You have to remember that you can b4 her d4. That is her only threat when grounded. Yes, you have to be aware of divekick, but you can't win on that threat alone. There's ways to avoid getting comboed by divekick. She has holes elsewhere that Reptile can exploit.
Id rather play sonya all day than one sub zero. Which I think shows that match ups have a lot to do with play styles.

I still think mileena has am edge on us for reasons I've said before. Not dominating but an edge.

I've played Death against his mileena. They were fun matches and I learned a good bit so I feel its closer to even than I used to but before the match starts I feel she is more prepared for reptile than he is for her.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Medina4life

Media Master
Id rather play sonya all day than one sub zero. Which I think shows that match ups have a lot to do with play styles.

I still think mileena has am edge on us for reasons I've said before. Not dominating but an edge.

I've played Death against his mileena. They were fun matches and I learned a good bit so I feel its closer to even than I used to but before the match starts I feel she is more prepared for reptile than he is for her.

Sub-Zero is not that bad man... Lol I told Soonk to pick SZ vs you at SB because I saw how aggressive of a Reptile you were... Sorry

THTB

I noticed a couple Reptile players saying it was 7-3 Sonya in the Sonya thread I made. I wouldn't be suprised. I played pretty much every Reptile out there with Sonya and the result wasn't very good. Maybe in time if the Reptile players learn the MU like they did with Mileena it could get better but Sonya is a whole different animal than what the Mileena/Reptile MU ever was.
It wasn't that bad playing you, and I played Morty's Sonya also. I didn't even know it at the time, but I faced Clint in tourney at MLG Columbus as well.

The matchup's not that awful. It's really not. I'm conflicted on whether to say it's 6-4 or 5-5, even. Sonya has problems that Reptile is capable of exploiting. Fearing divekick/EX cartwheel is stupid because that lets her the fuck in on you. Aside from d4, divekick, and EX cartwheel, what else do you even give a fuck about from Sonya? Not a thing. You don't have to worry about any normals in footsies range other than d4 and jumps. It's linear as all hell. In situations where you're like -15 with some distance, why would I be afraid of that? There's no scare from her, because ALL SHE CAN DO IS D4 FOR SOMETHING GUARANTEED MOST OF THE TIME. You don't get by in this game all the time getting something guaranteed on block, not if you aren't Cage.

Death

Noob
It wasn't that bad playing you, and I played Morty's Sonya also. I didn't even know it at the time, but I faced Clint in tourney at MLG Columbus as well.

The matchup's not that awful. It's really not. I'm conflicted on whether to say it's 6-4 or 5-5, even. Sonya has problems that Reptile is capable of exploiting. Fearing divekick/EX cartwheel is stupid because that lets her the fuck in on you. Aside from d4, divekick, and EX cartwheel, what else do you even give a fuck about from Sonya? Not a thing. You don't have to worry about any normals in footsies range other than d4 and jumps. It's linear as all hell. In situations where you're like -15 with some distance, why would I be afraid of that? There's no scare from her, because ALL SHE CAN DO IS D4 FOR SOMETHING GUARANTEED MOST OF THE TIME. You don't get by in this game all the time getting something guaranteed on block, not if you aren't Cage.
I dont know what your definition of bad was?We played like 10-15 games and i only lose like 4-5 tops. I think thats pretty bad but thats because Sonya just has a solid edge over Reptile. Your at a serious disadvantage before the match even began. At that time I was levelling up my Sonya too and didn't even think to punish Elbow Dash with Dive kick which is a pretty big deal. Sonya only loses when she lets Reptile zone her. Sonya should never let that happen. Sonya can also punish elbow dash with dive kick which is over 40%. Dive kick is also pretty safe vs Reptile. When sonya does iADive Kick Reptile can only punish with elbow dash and thats not great of a punish so dive kick more vs Reptile isn't the worst idea either. Dive kick D4 and EX cartwheel is more of a big deal than your making it out to be. Sonya D4 is a big problem for everyone and a good smart Sonya isnt going to throw it out stupid. Reptile can only whiff punish it with elbow dash so its not that bad either to throw out vs Reptile. If Reptile tries to throw Forceballs from mid-screen etc Sonya can dive kick them so force balls are only good to throw full screen. Obviously EX Cartwheel blows up EX forceballs on reaction so using that move is just plain dumb. Only good to throw out if you see me jumping for a dive kick but thats not really smart for Sonya to do. IMO Sonya plays this MU the best when shes aggressive and grounded. 5-5 is absolutely ridiculous. 6-4 at best. Reptile can only compete if the Sonya player tries to turtle reptile and lets him throw Forceballs on the screen. When you say comments like D4/Divekick/EX Cartwheel is all you have is absolutely silly. 90% of the cast dont even have 1 thing thats as good as that and Sonya has all three.

Ill list you big reasons why Sonya blows Reptile up bad.

- Sonya can potentially out zone him/keep up with zoning with her ring toss
- Dive kick regular FB from up to mid screen
- Stay grounded and use EX Cartwheel if you see Reptile do EXFB
- Sonya punishment is a lot worst. Sonya whiff punishing is dive kick with 40%. Reptile can only whiff punish with Elbow Dash or EX Elbow Dash for 23%
- Reptile only armored Slide is -40 on block. Sonya can punish this with 50%

This MU is really bad. No way Sonya should lose. If sonya loses then shes letting Reptile zone her or jumping a lot and being way too risky. 6-4 for now but no Sonya players have used her to her max potential and I wouldnt be suprised if it was 7-3 when that happens.

Sub-Zero is not that bad man... Lol I told Soonk to pick SZ vs you at SB because I saw how aggressive of a Reptile you were... Sorry
Haha no problem dude I openly admit its me that has the problem with sub zero. I am an extremely agressive reptile player. But I wear it as a badge of honor haha.

THTB

I dont know what your definition of bad was?We played like 10-15 games and i only lose like 4-5 tops. I think thats pretty bad but thats because Sonya just has a solid edge over Reptile. Your at a serious disadvantage before the match even began. At that time I was levelling up my Sonya too and didn't even think to punish Elbow Dash with Dive kick which is a pretty big deal. Sonya only loses when she lets Reptile zone her. Sonya should never let that happen. Sonya can also punish elbow dash with dive kick which is over 40%. Dive kick is also pretty safe vs Reptile. When sonya does iADive Kick Reptile can only punish with elbow dash and thats not great of a punish so dive kick more vs Reptile isn't the worst idea either. Dive kick D4 and EX cartwheel is more of a big deal than your making it out to be. Sonya D4 is a big problem for everyone and a good smart Sonya isnt going to throw it out stupid. Reptile can only whiff punish it with elbow dash so its not that bad either to throw out vs Reptile. If Reptile tries to throw Forceballs from mid-screen etc Sonya can dive kick them so force balls are only good to throw full screen. Obviously EX Cartwheel blows up EX forceballs on reaction so using that move is just plain dumb. Only good to throw out if you see me jumping for a dive kick but thats not really smart for Sonya to do. IMO Sonya plays this MU the best when shes aggressive and grounded. 5-5 is absolutely ridiculous. 6-4 at best. Reptile can only compete if the Sonya player tries to turtle reptile and lets him throw Forceballs on the screen. When you say comments like D4/Divekick/EX Cartwheel is all you have is absolutely silly. 90% of the cast dont even have 1 thing thats as good as that and Sonya has all three.

Ill list you big reasons why Sonya blows Reptile up bad.

- Sonya can potentially out zone him/keep up with zoning with her ring toss
- Dive kick regular FB from up to mid screen
- Stay grounded and use EX Cartwheel if you see Reptile do EXFB
- Sonya punishment is a lot worst. Sonya whiff punishing is dive kick with 40%. Reptile can only whiff punish with Elbow Dash or EX Elbow Dash for 23%
- Reptile only armored Slide is -40 on block. Sonya can punish this with 50%

This MU is really bad. No way Sonya should lose. If sonya loses then shes letting Reptile zone her or jumping a lot and being way too risky. 6-4 for now but no Sonya players have used her to her max potential and I wouldnt be suprised if it was 7-3 when that happens.
Only lost like 4 or 5 games? Dude, no, it definitely wasn't even that lopsided lol, and I was even testing ideas I had never even put into practice prior to playing you.

Sonya can't potentially outzone Reptile. She can't just ring toss, or else Reptile is going to duck and he has 3 options from there...spit to trade on the next one to set up forceball opportunities, dash in and force you to respect that he can still duck after it whiffs, or he can forceball from the get go if you are respecting the spit/dash option. Yes, you get one projectile, but right when he ducks it, advantage is all his.

I'll give you divekicking my elbow dash on block. That's a freebie, though I'm not going to dash unless it's going to whiff or I'm going for a whiff punish...or the instance where I want to make you respect that option when you want to advance on me. Outside of that, you're simply stuffing it, because you are not whiff punishing it on reaction. Also, correction, Reptile gets a f2 punish on a blocked divekick, as at the lowest point it is still -21.

When I'm putting forceballs on the screen, I'm not doing them all the time, so you're not going to react with a random jump, especially considering you could very easily react wrong to an EX forceball that I charge, or me spitting, which isn't nearly as easy to jump since it's faster, and has a very high hitbox. And you aren't blowing up a 18f startup projectile that recovers in roughly 40 frames with something that is well over 20 frames on reaction.

I'm saying this right now, she's extremely linear. I never said her options weren't good, the problem is is that while they are very good, they are simply the tools that you need to watch out for the most. This helps me out because it narrows down what I need to focus on, and that's huge. Granted it is very much enough to do a lot with, but it doesn't excuse that this results in holes in her game that Reptile CAN very much exploit. Like I said, what is your answer to shit like d4 xx acid hand on block at max range? d4 or divekick and hope for the best. What buttons besides divekick and EX cartwheel do you have outside of d4 range? I can f2 at that range, EX forceball or dash your limbs, EX dash and if you don't divekick my shit, I'm at advantage. You can't just come up and try to d4, because I can very easily smack you with b4 and it wins EVERY time (Yes, it's risky). What that does is knocks you back, and my wakeup game comes into play. This can simply force hesitance on you doing d4.

There's a lot more to this matchup than just divekick > all for damage. I'm not completely neutered and you still have to play your shit right at times, because Reptile still has answers. 4-6 in your favor is most likely, but 5-5 wouldn't surprise me much further down the road.