What's new

Reptile Guide Feedback

REPTILE:
Guide by Tom Brady

BEST NORMALS:
*:fp:bp:bp:fpHIT LEVEL:H,M,M(overhead),M(overhead) - 4 hit launch string. safe on block. last 2 hits are overhead so they must be blocked in stand block.

*:fp:bp:l+:fpHIT LEVEL:H,M,L - 3 hit string that grants good advantage on hit. safe on block.

*:r+:bp:l+:fpHIT LEVEL:M,M(overhead) - 2 hit launching string. safe on block. last hit is overhead so it must be blocked in stand block.

*:bk:bp:fpHIT LEVEL:M,M,M - safe 3 hit string. causes a knock back on hit.

SPECIALS:
*Acid Spit:)d:r+:fp)HIT LEVEL:H - very fast projectile. safe at every range except very close.

*Elbow Dash:)l:r+:bp)HIT LEVEL:M - one of the absolute fastest moves in the entire game. punished by full combo on block. only hits grounded opponents.

*Slow Force Ball:)l:l+:fp)HIT LEVEL:M - slow moving force ball launcher. is safe from any range except very close.

*Fast Force Ball:)l:l+:fk)HIT LEVEL:M - fast moving force ball launcher. is safe from any range except very close. does 3% more damage then slow force ball.

*Acid Ball:)d:l+:bp)HIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - knocks back on it. safe on block. is an overhead so it must be blocked in stand block.

*Slide:)l:r+:bk)HIT LEVEL: L - fast low slide. knocks down on hit. on block is punished by full combo.

*Invisibility:)d:u+:bk)HIT LEVEL:N/A - reptile turns somewhat invisible. activation goes through projectiles. becomes visible again by blocking an attack, being hit, or over time.

:en MOVES:
*:en Acid Spit:)d:r+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:H - acid stream that extends to about 3/4 screen.

*:en Elbow Dash:)l:r+:bp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - more damaging version of standard elbow. slightly pops up the opponent. punished by full combo on block.

*:en Slow Force Ball:)l:l+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - moves even slower then standard slow force ball. does more damage. can be charged to make a huge force ball.

*:en Fast Force Ball:)l:l+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - moves even faster then standard fast force ball. does more damage. can be charged to make a huge force ball.

*:en Acid Ball:)d:l+:bp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - safe, overhead, launches.

*:en Slide:)l:r+:bk)HIT LEVEL: L - 2 hit, more damaging version of slide. on block is punished by full combo.

*:en Invisibility:)d:u+:bk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:N/A - reptile turns completely invisible. activation goes through projectiles. damage slightly boosted. becomes visible by blocking an attack, being hit, or over time.

STRATEGY:

Zoning:
*Reptiles zoning consists of force balls and acid spit. force balls basically are like floating land mines. you can throw slow then fast then spit, or fast then slow then spit. or you can throw slow then advance forward, or slow then spit. or slow, fast, fast, slow, etc.. its freestyle so pay attention to how your opponent deals with it. do they like to jump over the force balls a lot? are they in a pattern on when they like to jump or at the range they jump at? if so then how you vary the speed of the force ball is important. the opponent may be in a rythm after jumping 8 fast force balls so a slow force ball may get them to jump early as if you thew a fast force ball.

* the :en fast force ball isnt really worth the meter but the slow one is. the slow full charged :en force ball is great to put on screen then dash in front of or walk slightly behind. its a great way to get in when you want to get in. you can also use your elbow dash to get in front if the force ball instead of normal forward dashing. when you are in front of the :en full charged force ball, even if you take a risk and are unsafe, the opponent sill cannot punish you because of the force ball following you.

* acid spit is VERY fast. from range abuse it. spit, spit, spit, and spit! great way to build meter as well. the :en acid spit will hit anyone trying to jump over the standard one. this is also good vs Nightwolf as he cannot reflect the :en acid spit.

Force Balls in Juggles:
you cannot juggle with the same force ball twice. if you launch with slow then you must relaunch with fast, if you launch with fast then you must relaunch with slow.

Elbow dash and :en Elbow Dash:
this move is so fast that if you blink you will get hit. this is one of the best punishers in the game and one of the overall fastest attacks. opponents must approach you carefully due to the speed and damage output of this move especially the :en version because it gives Reptile a free slide for damage at 23-27%. players familiar with Kabal in UMK3 will understand when i say that this is the new Kabal dash as its just as fast and it hurts when you get hit by it so you must be very careful. you can use this attack when being pressured, as a wake up attack, vs opponents carelessly approaching, or vs opponents back dashing or walking back all day. vs jumping and cross jumps you can use the standard elbow dash to get away without being hit. its a great weapon and evasive tool.

Universal Slide and Acid Ball Mix Up:
after any single normal or during strings you can cancel with acid ball for a safe overhead or slide for a low. this is not the best of mix ups, as a highly skilled player can begin to see the acid ball, but it is still an option.

:r+:bp:l+:fp String:
in open space this string isnt very good because Reptile cannot really juggle after it hits. when the opponents back is to the wall is where this attack can be very effective. you can either finish the string for an overhead launcher or link in a low slide should they remain in stand block. when the overhead hits and launches with the opponents back to a corner Reptile gets 35% standard or 43% unbreakable.

:fk:bp:fp String:
in open space you want to use :fk:bp. you can hit confirm this string and link in an :en acid ball or :en elbow dash. you can also confirm that the string did not hit and finish with a mix up between acid ball for a safe overhead or slide for a low. in corners you finish the string then link in a force ball.

:fp:bp:bp:fp and :fp:bp:l+:fp Strings:
*the mix up here is obvious. go with the safe overhead launcher in the :fp:bp:bp:fp string or safe low as a mix up in the :fp:bp:l+:fp string. when the low hit connects you have enough advantage to dash in and mix up again, throw, etc... you can also use the slide to make a mix up in the last hit as well because the last it is also an overhead, so you could :fp:bp:bp:fp or :fp:bp:bp~slide.

*because you dont get much damage after the launcher unless you have :x you can try to read your opponent and guess link in a force ball or :en elbow dash by doing :fp:bp:bp~slow force ball/:en elbow dash. while this is unsafe and a risk, it is still an option to be aware of in case there comes a time when you need to assume some risk because you need the damage.

*in the corner this string is very abusable because now you can use the safe launch and get great damage or loop the low string for infinity until they block it and open themselves up to the safe overhead.

Anti Air:
force balls already placed on screen and uppercut work fine. you can use elbow dash to move past the jump in or even cross up jump in and be across the screen again to continue zoning. when you elbow dash out of a cross up jump in you will have advantage. Reptile will recover from the wiffed elbow dash before the opponent recovers from the wiffed jump in attempt.

:x Properties:
Reptile's :x travels full screen and goes through projectiles.

COMBOS

STANDARD COMBOS:
1. :en elbow dash, slide or :en slide

2. :fp:bp:bp~:en elbow dash, slide or :en slide

3. :fk:bp~:en elbow dash, slide or :en slide

4. :fp:bp:bp:fp, slide or :en slide

5. :fk:bp~:en acid ball, dash :fk:bp~slow ball, :fk:bp~fast ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

6. :fk:bp:fp~elbow dash~:fk:bp~fast ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

7. :fk:bp:fp~elbow dash~:fk:bp~slow ball, :fk:bp~fast ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

8. :fk:bp:fp~elbow dash~NJ :fp/:bp, :fk:bp~fast ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

9. :fk:bp:fp~elbow dash~NJ :fp/:bp, :fk:bp~fast ball, slow ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

9. :fp:bp:bp~slow force ball, :fk:bp~fast force ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

10. :fp:bp:bp~:en acid ball, dash :fk:bp~slow ball, :fk:bp~fast ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

11. (opponent in corner):r+:bp:l+:fp, :fk:bp:fp~slow force ball, :fk:bp:fp~fast force ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

12. (opponent in corner):fp:bp:bp:fp, :fk:bp:fp~slow force ball, :fk:bp:fp~fast force ball, :fk:bp~slide or :en slide

13. (opponent in corner):fk:bp:fp~slow force ball, :fk:bp:fp~fast force ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

14. (opponent in corner):fk:bp:fp~slow force ball, :fk:bp:fp~:en acid ball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

:x COMBOS:
1. slow force ball, fast force ball, :x (you can do fast then slow but must be close)

2. slow force ball, fast force ball, :fk:bp, :x (you can do fast then slow but must be close)

3. slow/fast force ball, :fk:bp~slow/fast force ball, :fk:bp~:x

4. :fp:bp:bp:fp, :x

5. :fp:bp:bp~slow force ball, :fk:bp~fast force ball, :fk:bp~:x

6. :fk:bp:fp~elbow dash, :fk:bp~slow ball, :fk:bp~fast ball, :fk:bp~:x

7. (opponent in corner):r+:bp:l+:fp, :x

8. (opponent in corner):r+:bp:l:fp, :fk:bp:fp~slow force ball, :fk:bp:fp~fast force ball, :fk:bp~:x

9. (opponent in corner):fp:bp:bp:fp, :fk:bp:fp~slow force ball, :fk:bp:fp~fast force ball, :fk:bp~:x

10. (opponent in corner):fk:bp:fp~elbow dash, :fk:bp:fp~elbow dash, :fk:bp:fp~elbow dash, :fk:bp:fp~:x

11. (opponent in corner):fk:bp:fp~slow force ball, :fk:bp:fp~fast force ball, :fk:bp:fp~:x

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
HANDS OFF REPTILE, BEESH! Go main Sheeva, she's got the Giefshark!

I think he'll fare pretty well-

Granted you cant launch forceballs outside of a combo, it seems like his acid spit is fast enough that as long as you're not predictable you can have some sort of zoning game.

Hearing that his invisibility grants him projectile immunity is great news. I think that will serve as a wonderful tool in a fireball war.

Is his "acid ball" move that acid backhand looking move?

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
^yup.

I heard in the stream yesterday that zoning in this game won't be really strong, is that the case for reptile as well?

^yup.

I heard in the stream yesterday that zoning in this game won't be really strong, is that the case for reptile as well?
I almost heard the exact opposite-
I read somewhere on SRK (or maybe it was here?) That characters that have no good answer to projectile zoning (such as scorpions teleport, jade projectile invisibility etc) will perform really poorly in this game. That being said, i think reptile has the strongest projectile zoning potential (please correct me if i'm wrong) and will be an absolute nightmare for those characters. Against those that have good projectile counters can be a problem, but i think reptile will still be okay based on my previous comment.

I hope I get my package from amazon today! I was lucky in getting SSF4 a week in advanced, but i got my MVC3 copy like 3 days late.

I read somewhere on SRK (or maybe it was here?) That characters that have no good answer to projectile zoning (such as scorpions teleport, jade projectile invisibility etc) will perform really poorly in this game. That being said, i think reptile has the strongest projectile zoning potential (please correct me if i'm wrong) and will be an absolute nightmare for those characters. Against those that have good projectile counters can be a problem, but i think reptile will still be okay based on my previous comment.

I hope I get my package from amazon today! I was lucky in getting SSF4 a week in advanced, but i got my MVC3 copy like 3 days late.

I dont see how zoning can be very powerful against anyone with a decent teleport. It's an instant punish if they have good reaction time.

I dont see how zoning can be very powerful against anyone with a decent teleport. It's an instant punish if they have good reaction time.
Guess my grammar was a bit haphazard, but i meant to say those characters that LACK teleports or other anti-projectile moves will perform poorly in this game

untrue.

THTB

Ugh...if only 32 connected to regular forceball... >_>

Lol

THTB

Omg...321 xx dash, 32 xx forceball works. Thanks Rob! That's a good 38% right there! (41% w/ jump-in)

Dark_Rob

Noob
Omg...321 xx dash, 32 xx forceball works. Thanks Rob! That's a good 38% right there! (41% w/ jump-in)
Anytime Tay. You can actually hit a neutral jump 2 after the dash if your REALLY quick also. So you can do something like 3,2,1,dash,U2,3,2,forceball,32,EX forceball,3,2,1,EX slide. (Its like 17 hits for 53% lol, insane) Reptile is so sick.

Ninja edit- I think my damage/number of hits included a jump in punch starter.

THTB

:fk:bp:fp~elbow dash, :u+:bp, :fk:bp~fast forceball, slow forceball, :fk:bp:fp~slide or :en slide

45% BnB punish right there. 50% if you replace the slow forceball with 32 xx EX slow forceball, and 55% with X-Ray instead of slide.

Has anyone found any reliable ways to deal with pressure with Reptile? I can't see seem to land any hits between opponents strings and even X Ray has failed me on a few occassions.