What's new

Reptile General Discussion

Okay here are some unblockable setups I did in practice.
None of these are optimal:

This one for whatever reason tricks Jax into doing unblockable twice after connecting with opponent and as far as I can tell they can't escape the unblockable because of the EX elbow dash blockstun, it's timed to go off right after recovery where even when they jump on first available frame the unblockable connects:

11~EX-BF2 Corner escape into forced unblockable:

You can time it so the unblockable hits before they can do anything and on wakeup from ground pound you can time it so they barley get to jump.

Jax Unblockable setup into B2 overhead launcher:

This one is better timing:

Maybe you all can take this and squeeze out high damage setups

Last edited:

another one of the best players explaining why reptile is bottom tier.. gaps in his best strings. Easy flawless block punish on his best special. No sauce compared to other characters. Low damage relatively to other characters.

reptile discussion starts at 37:15

Dolphin-Dive

Observer
For Jax Kameo, Reptile's F32 safe-jump setup provides a really simple way to setup unblockables. This will meaty, armor break, and cannot be blocked or up-blocked. It CAN be beaten with a delayed wake-up however, in a similar fashion to Darrius setups. In truth, someone could probably get used to this setup by watching for the Kameo call after F32, and react with holding down. Makes this a bit of a knowledge check, rather than a long-term setup in my view.

If they do decide to wake-up with an armored reversal, Jax will actually perform a second ground pound automatically, but I have yet to figure out a way to perfectly time a second setup. However, if they don't reversal, you can simply loop this setup again for the other half of your Kameo bar.

Jax can also setup for full invisibility off of F32 in the corner with air grab as well, if you'd like to shake things up on wake-up.

Last edited:

another one of the best players explaining why reptile is bottom tier.. gaps in his best strings. Easy flawless block punish on his best special. No sauce compared to other characters. Low damage relatively to other characters.

reptile discussion starts at 37:15
Okay I watched it he prefaced the list with none of the roster is trash, all solid, I could be wrong it is very early and that's why I'm hesitant to listen to these early tier lists as set in stone.
His main reason for listing him lower in this case B above Shao, Sub Zero and Nitara but just below Sindel was lack of Dirt and Gaps
If you remember my reasons listed above for having him in A was I don't believe nor having top tier dirt is a death sentence, his gaps are made safe by Kameos, Motaro makes all his raw slides, and Dash safe in fact allows him to combo off them meterless.
Stryker, Goro, Cyrax and Sektor also keeps him solid.
His tier list has changed dramatically over the last 7 days, he had Li Mei in trash tier for the very same reasons he put Reptile in B.
But we all know Reptile doesn't have Sub Zeros button problems or his reaching issues.
In fact let's compare Li Mei's Mids to Reptiles:
She has a 17 frame mid that has a gap and launches with Kameo but because it requires ambush to stay safe there is no launch if they gap it. A 12 frame mid that knocks down.
Reptiles F211 launches and can be hit confirmed and be used safely and is 12 frame startup and has better range that hers, we all know how strong a hit confirmable 12f mid is, only 3 characters have that in the whole game.
Reptiles F23 has a launcher that's hit confirmable and two other strings for mix F24 (low ender) which is safe with Kameo and launches.
Reptile has far better reach than Li Mei who suffers stubby buttons unless she wants to be unsafe, his 24/F24 reaches damn near full screen and can't be contested by most of the roster, Reptile has the benefit of launching while using Kameo to cover his gaps or making them safe while Li Mei has early large gaps.
The only thing Li Mei has on Reptile is easier damage but I feel that's accounting for her added difficulty of opening up opponents safely and lack of long range wiff punishers.
Reptile has insane range off his F24, S3 and B4 and with Kameo it can be 33-37% the S3 pulls them into his B4 that has great dashback built into the animation while having one of the best disjointed hitboxes where he is basically crouching from the beginning to end where he is left at wiff punish city.
Some of these characters lack 50/50's but have other strong tools to open up the opponent like auto shimmy and wiff baiting moves like Kitanas S1 into B24 who also lacks real 50/50's but is listed in S- obviously she is good, I've seen what Dragon did with her.

I just don't think there is enough of the top 30-50 players maining Reptile and the game is still early. I doubt they all know the matchups and expect the tiers to change.
Just going off what I see with the character, how he works in my sets. The tools he has to abuse certain characters who lack range.

I don't think Reptiles buttons and specials are anywhere near as bad as Subs.
Early on I can find tier lists from notable top players that list my Rain in Low Top to Bottom five, it really matters who you ask. In fact Tweedy only placed Rain in S+ because of his sets with Sonic using Rain/Cyrax and even said Rain has gaps, lacks range, reactable overheads, slow Armor and in the many sets I've seen Sonic playing with Rain he is only netting 30% on average, he wasn't even cracking 40. I use Stryker to get 40-47% midscreen. But I've had Rain in A/A+ since day 1 despite all his flaws.
his tier list is basically based on Cyrax used by most of the roster. Now if Cyrax gets an adjustment where he has longer Regen, higher cost or reduced launching capabilities I can see his Tier list crumbling into dramatically different rankings.

Now I am probably wrong but that's what I feel is right. I still have Reptile in A Tier but I'm still willing to change my mind after I see majors and tech is more developed.

Last edited:
What are the inputs for this??
The way it was explained to me was:
EXDB1, wait till it hits DB1+U+R2, DB1+U+R2. There is a way to do it without it forcing meter burn but the input window is strict and has to be altered from DB1+U+R2 method
It's about as hard as Rain/Stryker grenades + Water Beam Cancel input difficulty.

Last edited:
I keep people hearing invis is hard to set up. Instead of ending in fang drop for 1% more damage, end in f32xxInvis, and cover their wakeup options with a kameo attack, then you have a long range low and overhead to mix with, throw, stagger pressure, all while invis.

I'll post a thread about how I play Reptile or something. It isn't drastically different than Honeybee or Chris G, but there's not much info on this sight anyway.

B2 is safe with Stryker or Cyrax.

B31 has no gap with them, either.

Both help invisibility setup. Idk. I think you're overthinking or something. I legit feel the obvious top tiers are the only characters that stand out as plain better than Reptile.
I would love to see your Reptile strategy guide. Eagerly waiting

I wish acid spit served a purpose. Outside of Motaro. It’s like EN invisibility, it serves no purpose.
Yeah not that great, but have used it to close out a round with metered version. It's a mid that goes nearly full screen and is very fast compared to Forceball.
Forceball is strong having two hits but it can be countered with jump in kick and some teleports/Kameos if you don't mix up timing. Lao Kameo is incredibly strong:
The tornado launcher gives reptile complete invulnerability not just a hot of armor so it's great for blowing up gaps and reversals.
Low hat mixed with Forceballs makes his zoning solid and hard to jump.
Charged Low hat gives him nice safety and ability to throw out B2 launcher.
His teleport also helps escape pressure on reaction

Zviko

Noob
You can combo spit in the corner with kameos. I think it does more damage than force ball if you amp it. But yeah, I wish there was more use to it. It doesn’t even have brutality to it does it?

Super weird how you can't do air combos after back 2
Oh yeah the recovery. The other dumb thing is I can't seem to get Reptiles cancel into spit or slide or invisibility from charged B2
Honeybee Guide states you can cancel the charges B2 into Spit/Slide and I for whatever reason can't get it to cancel. Can do higher execution combos and water beam cancel but can't cancel out of a one button move :(

Okay so after fighting so many barakas, I feel like Reptile is a GREAT counter
Who do you use as Kameo, Lao has the spin launcher that makes Reptile completely invulnerable until they are launched and it works on reversal so you can blow up gaps. His low hat gives him safe overheads and HTB's and allows him to properly zone to build meter and prevent them from timing a jump in kick punish over a Forceball.

Goro Kameo is great for Reptile, he gives +30ob and allows him to steal turns on block and launch on hit.
He also fills his gap in B31 and can be called to do his low CMD grab after B3 so it turns his B31 into a 50/50 and makes it scary to try and armor through B31. You can also use B2 bop and bait punish by throwing Goro a bit late to launch them for combo.

Only other dumb thing is you can't use Cyrax to extend combos on ground. If Reptile has a spit cancel or invisibility cancel you could dash out of we could easily get 40% midscreen off B31/F21 then Cyrax would be the best Kameo for him.

Skybox

Noob
Who do you use as Kameo, Lao has the spin launcher that makes Reptile completely invulnerable until they are launched and it works on reversal so you can blow up gaps. His low hat gives him safe overheads and HTB's and allows him to properly zone to build meter and prevent them from timing a jump in kick punish over a Forceball.

Goro Kameo is great for Reptile, he gives +30ob and allows him to steal turns on block and launch on hit.
He also fills his gap in B31 and can be called to do his low CMD grab after B3 so it turns his B31 into a 50/50 and makes it scary to try and armor through B31. You can also use B2 bop and bait punish by throwing Goro a bit late to launch them for combo.

Only other dumb thing is you can't use Cyrax to extend combos on ground. If Reptile has a spit cancel or invisibility cancel you could dash out of we could easily get 40% midscreen off B31/F21 then Cyrax would be the best Kameo for him.
Rn sub

You can outzone baraka with him + the freeze when they are super predictable

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Oh yeah the recovery. The other dumb thing is I can't seem to get Reptiles cancel into spit or slide or invisibility from charged B2
Honeybee Guide states you can cancel the charges B2 into Spit/Slide and I for whatever reason can't get it to cancel. Can do higher execution combos and water beam cancel but can't cancel out of a one button move :(
I was having an issue with this at first. The trick is to keep holding the 2 and not let go while you do the special cancel.

Zviko

Noob
Do it instantly, meaning B2 and immediatelly BF4 after and like hkriderz said, still holding 2 while doing the BF4 input and then also keep holding forward and 4. Maybe you don't need to hold forward and 4 but I do it because it feels easier.

I didn't even know you can also cancel into other special moves but I also don't see the reason to.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Just posting here in case someone else goes through the same thing...

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to discover why I could never land the reptile/scorpion invisibility setup: it was because I didn't know you could press DOWN+KAMEO to call him in a mid distance. I thought that he only had the close and far versions lmao.

I just think Cyrax Kameo is too good not to use right now. He is probably the best kameo in the game but also synergizes well with Reptile. easy 30% combo into Invisibility setup, makes your moves safe or plus when you need it, and a MB throw on a character that doesn't rely on meter.

I just think Cyrax Kameo is too good not to use right now. He is probably the best kameo in the game but also synergizes well with Reptile. easy 30% combo into Invisibility setup, makes your moves safe or plus when you need it, and a MB throw on a character that doesn't rely on meter.
I'm sure he is good with reptile but he only gets a few things from Cyrax compared to what Cyrax does for Rain.
It would of been awesome to extend combos with Reptile like you do with Rain when canceling recovery with water beam cancels or more widely known how Sareena extends combos on ground before strong damage scaling happens.

Dolphin-Dive

Observer
Been messing around with Shujinko Kameo, most matchups don't provide enough incentive to pick him over more popular Kameos in my opinion. However, there is a small selection that I think are interesting. Chief among them is Geras, Sandstorm allows you to challenge him in the zoning war, and time stop allows Reptile to get full invisibility setups on knockdown both mid-screen and in the corner.

Time stop takes your full Kameo bar, but I thought I'd include the B2 conversion just to show it can be done.

Other side notes: Sindel's stolen Kartwheel kick gives a decently fast overhead starter that can be used to mix with our B3 string, solid damage too. Tanya's stolen slide Kameo allows for excellent meter-less damage off of any starter string, damn near 40%. Stealing Smoke's invisibility can actually allow Reptile to extend the duration of his own invisibility.

Last edited: