What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile - General Discussion - Do any matchups favor deceptive?

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Next Topic - Deceptive, is it viable?

I want to hear what you guys think about Deceptive, i'm seeing a lot of people saying that this variation is useless. I for one think that it has potential now that Reptile has good normals, spaced out correctly it can be kind of scary not knowing what a reptile player is doing, even if for a second. What are your opinions on it, is it not viable? how could it be better? is it just unexplored?

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
So the obvious use of deceptive would be to end a combo in the EX version of invis and then running up and attempting to do an invis 50/50. However, armor exists so uh idk pretty useless imo

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Unexplored for sure but nimble will likely be the endgame variation Imo.

None of his variations change enough to uss different ones for different matchups imo.
Wouldn't you find it easier to fight scorpion, a character with full screen presence and long combos, with noxious? He strips away the random activation factor of nimble and can pretty interrupt almost any setup since you can't block while its activated. At least with noxious you can do some percent damage while blocking and make some of your combos do that 1-2% extra that you might need eventually to close out a round. I think nimble isn't too good against teleporters, so i would rather go with noxious.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
So the obvious use of deceptive would be to end a combo in the EX version of invis and then running up and attempting to do an invis 50/50. However, armor exists so uh idk pretty useless imo
Knockdown options may be matchup dependant, what if you run up to them at a space where your normals reach and just wait lol. Invisibility usually causes panic, once someone is conditioned you can start to mix it up by actually swinging.

Idk just theory crafting here on my part

Xev

Noob
I mess around with deceptive for funsies and it doesn't seem too bad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the ex version seems to have armor somewhere in it's activation, it seems to be toward the end of it coming out. I usually just do a blockstring like f41 into ex invis into either b34/b2 shenanigans. I still vastly prefer nimble, but with a character like this being invisible can be fun.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
EX invis does have armor on start-up.

People are talking about armored wake-ups but you can still block in invisibility.

People get scared and start throwing out shit, you play it just as safe as you would normally and punish them accordingly.

They block, you're in a constant state of 50/50 and can open them up easy.

pzea

Noob
Idk, right now Noxious is the only variation that makes any sense to me. I only pick that variation because I don't have to do the special to benefit from it. I don't see the point in Nimble and Deceptive. Both use up a bar to do anything worthwhile. Nimble adds some more damage to some combos, but I feel like Reptile already has ways to add more damage to combos by using his meter on other launchers or grab resets. EX invisibility could have some use but it seems very situational and read dependent for using up a bar of meter.

Basically I think all his variations are shit and boring and pretty useless. Reptile himself seems pretty decent. I can only hope that NRS will make his variations more unique and worthwhile so we can make real choices in different matchups rather than just deciding what variation special we want to end our combos with.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Reptile doesn't need variations for different match-ups because he has a tool for just about everything at base.

I think people complaining about his variations are weird because he actually made it out better overall than multiple of the returning cast.

Unlike Reptile NRS took their base moves and split them into variations, they have to choose for certain match-ups if they want to have a decent chance.

Reptile has an answer for everything plus a 3 flavors of extra potential damage with DoT, combo extending slow down, and free 50/50's.

would you rather they had separated slide, dash, and forceballs just so you could have the illusion of "uniqueness"?

I tried. I hoped, and I wished. But reptile just isn't going to cut it as my number 1. I still have fun with him. But he seems so much more clunky and slow than the other characters in the game. Cassie feels real niiiiiiice however...

Drecker

GET CITY.
Deceptive is 100% absolutely viable.

I played Chris G in winners finals of the UGC tournament over the weekend and got absolutely blown out by Deceptive Reptile. If you're in the corner, you guess right repeatedly or you die. If you're using your armor to try and wake up on him, good luck dealing with the invisible blender when your wakeup gets blocked or neutral jumped and punished.

Literal unseeable 50/50's, and if you block properly things just get ended in EX Ball > Reptile advantage > hello invisible guessing blender.

haketh

Noob
I tried. I hoped, and I wished. But reptile just isn't going to cut it as my number 1. I still have fun with him. But he seems so much more clunky and slow than the other characters in the game. Cassie feels real niiiiiiice however...
He has one of the better walk speeds in the game what

haketh

Noob
I didn't say he "walked slow" I said he felt slow.
How, he is literally faster than he is in MK9 in all ways but the Elbow Dash & has plenty of new mobility tools to make up for that.

On the topic of Deceptive, poeple keep saying Armored Wake Ups & Teleports make it not that viabe but you can still block & you can still move during invis. You can bait these things out & either avoid a wakeup or TP & punish plus keep invis or block it, break invis, & get a punish out of it.

How, he is literally faster than he is in MK9 in all ways but the Elbow Dash & has plenty of new mobility tools to make up for that.

On the topic of Deceptive, poeple keep saying Armored Wake Ups & Teleports make it not that viabe but you can still block & you can still move during invis. You can bait these things out & either avoid a wakeup or TP & punish plus keep invis or block it, break invis, & get a punish out of it.
God dude, I said he feels that way "compared to the rest of the cast". For fucks sake dude. I understand that a lot of his normals are faster than mk9, so what, he doesn't feel the same speed as characters like cassie and lao. What the hell are you digging for here?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
I personally feel Nimble is useless in its current form. In most cases you have to waste a bar to get slightly more damage than normal BNBs and I find my opponent is more than happy to use a bar to knock me out of it since we can't block. You'd figure once they took away the ability to block they would buff its start up frames or give him advantage on block with it....

Noxious imo is the best and most useful since it makes Reptile pack more of a punch and have safe setups with the Stink. I am really disappointed that he seems to be the only character in the game that doesn't actually have different variations. I was really hoping at least one of the variations would make his zoning better since forceball no longer can be used as an anti air like it was in MK9 and has worse start up and recovery, even on EX ball.

Still wish they would allow you to stop the forceball with a bar of meter as soon as it leaves his hand like you could originally, that option and move is also useless now since you have to wait for him to recover.

I've explored literally nothing with deceptive so far, so I'm not gonna make a judgement call on it yet.

The idea of unseeable 50/50's is cool though. @THTB have you messed with it much?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I personally feel Nimble is useless in its current form. In most cases you have to waste a bar to get slightly more damage than normal BNBs and I find my opponent is more than happy to use a bar to knock me out of it since we can't block. You'd figure once they took away the ability to block they would buff its start up frames or give him advantage on block with it....

Noxious imo is the best and most useful since it makes Reptile pack more of a punch and have safe setups with the Stink. I am really disappointed that he seems to be the only character in the game that doesn't actually have different variations. I was really hoping at least one of the variations would make his zoning better since forceball no longer can be used as an anti air like it was in MK9 and has worse start up and recovery, even on EX ball.

Still wish they would allow you to stop the forceball with a bar of meter as soon as it leaves his hand like you could originally, that option and move is also useless now since you have to wait for him to recover.
It's not the extra damage that's important about Nimble. The corner carry is the real BS part about using it in combos. Also, vs certain characters, you can blow up armor moves in the corner into 40% combos on oki activations. I agree though, the meterless version has no use, and honestly, Noxious's biggest strength is the lack of meter usage to get viable usage out of it.

I think Deceptive is the useless variation. Unseeable 50/50s are great until you realize that they aren't easy to fuzzy anyway, and people will just poke out after blocking something. You can't always do that when basilisk is active.

JDM

Noob
Wouldn't you find it easier to fight scorpion, a character with full screen presence and long combos, with noxious? He strips away the random activation factor of nimble and can pretty interrupt almost any setup since you can't block while its activated. At least with noxious you can do some percent damage while blocking and make some of your combos do that 1-2% extra that you might need eventually to close out a round. I think nimble isn't too good against teleporters, so i would rather go with noxious.
It's very miniscule. I don't think it's big enough to sway any matchups. Just my opinion though.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Can you explain more in depth? I haven't been able to play much so I only know the basic shit with Reptile right now. What's the optimal corner combo for slow and what do you mean 40 percent off of 50/50?

pls halp

Also MKX reptile is far superior to MK9 reptile I'm surprised anyone thinks the opposite.
Corner combo into slo-mo

F412 xx EX Basilisk, F41, 3, 3, F412 xx Fast Forceball, NJP, F412 xx Slide 47% (I think it's something like that)

When your in slo-mo already, you can do these.

Overhead B2, walk forward 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, F412 xx Slide 44%
Low B34, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, F412 xx Slide 39%

Last edited:
Haven't touched deceptive yet. Does blocking while invisible still takes you out of invisibility? Because if that's the case again, lmao

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Does Deceptive have any block strings into invisiblity that make them good on block? What about cancelling strings into ex invisibility and using the armor to bait out counter pokes?