What's new

Reasons why MK11 wont play like injustice 2

When people say "there is not run it will play like injustice 2" they clearly are talking about zoning. Here are 5 nerf to zoning you will find when moving from injustice 2 to mk11 and 5 of many other reasons why mk11 will not play like injustice 2.

1) the screen size and stage sizes

The screen is more zoom in than in injustice this is important because it mean the full screen distance is shorter limiting how far you can get push back when you are trying to get in on a zoner. Ed boon said stage sizes are smaller 2. So walking back will get you to the corner faster 2.

2) no back to block.
This mean you wont be able to walk back and create space between you and your opponent and auto-block any high or mid attack they do. This makes it a lot riskier to create space for a zoner once you get close to them. It is simple to understand in mk you can't walk back and block.

3) no invincibility on backdash

I could say so much on why this is a big nerf to zoning and keep away game but the most important reason is that once you get in there is not easy "get me out" move to avoid a poke or short range normal and get you out of pressure.

4) time
In injustice there is way too much time for a match. you have time to start a match take a break to eat a hot dog go back to the match and you will have time to finish it ( I'm not joking). This was a big problem because even when you get a life lead on a zoner you will still be force to go after them because they will get back the life lead by chipping you from full screen.
In mk11 the " clock game" is making a comeback

5) new meter game
Trying to get in on a zoner no longer put you at a meter disadvantage because now you are building meter at the same speed they are as you are blocking and ducking projectiles trying to get in.

Of course not!... It is a more injustice game than the previous injustice's if that made sense. Less combo chances than even injustice games... check. The fatalities freeze at the end Injustice style... check. Slow ass characters so slow that ninja turtles are rabbits in comparison... check. Mobility of a slow as game... Check. Raiden is black Adam now... Check.

The game should not, from what we've seen and from all intents and purposes, play like IJ2.

However, the Fatal Blows might have a "Clashiness" about them, depending on how quickly they recharge after a failed attempt (albeit, only once per match per player -- not twice+ per round!), and if characters are not given adequate tools for getting around "zoning" projectile ejaculation, then the resemblance might be stronger than what we've seen so far, tends to suggest...

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Apart from the pretty graphics, I don't see what else is really similar. Maybe the footsies game? Dashes are slow there is no :l3,:r3 or :d3 (or is it 2?) to convert into a combo. I didn't see anyone jump2 when they bounced the opponent and that is a big part in IJ2 juggles - combos seem to be way more like MK9 and even MKX. No clashes (thank the LORD).

I get why some people would say it's similar from maybe watching a match or two, but watch more and you'll see how different it is.

Raiden seems to be a pretty good zoner even if they debuffed a lot of zoners tools like invincibility frames on backdash, but it just seems like it will be way less frustrating to go against.

I don't know what people are so up in arms about, this game looks like it's going to be the right amount of challenging and fun.

Last edited:
The game should not, from what we've seen and from all intents and purposes, play like IJ2.

However, the Fatal Blows might have a "Clashiness" about them, depending on how quickly they recharge after a failed attempt (albeit, only once per match per player -- not twice+ per round!), and if characters are not given adequate tools for getting around "zoning" projectile ejaculation, then the resemblance might be stronger than what we've seen so far, tends to suggest...
This is how fatal blows work. You only have access to your fatal blow when you have less than 30% life if you have more you can not use it. It look like they are unsafe so is very likely you will die if you get punish for trying to use it at the wrong time.
The cooldown time for fatal blows is about 10 seconds if it did not hit. If you did hit, you can never use it again.

Fatal blows are not like x ray which have armor on the first frame. They work like meter burn b3 on injustice 2. The armor does not activate for a few frames which mean you can not use a fatal blow to punish gaps in strings and is very risky to use them when you are at negative frames.

I really don't think we'll see someone using his fatal blow more than once in a round that would be a rare thing to happen if fatal blows are punishble

Ger187

Noob
This is how fatal blows work. You only have access to your fatal blow when you have less than 30% life if you have more you can not use it. It look like they are unsafe so is very likely you will die if you get punish for trying to use it at the wrong time.
The cooldown time for fatal blows is about 10 seconds if it did not hit. If you did hit, you can never use it again.

Fatal blows are not like x ray which have armor on the first frame. They work like meter burn b3 on injustice 2. The armor does not activate for a few frames which mean you can not use a fatal blow to punish gaps in strings and is very risky to use them when you are at negative frames.

I really don't think we'll see someone using his fatal blow more than once in a round that would be a rare thing to happen if fatal blows are punishble
I thought the cooldown in the current state is 4-5 seconds or something. Or am i wrong?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This game is unlike any game we played previously.
Everything seen so far and the more you see it the more it makes sense.

I honestly just want april 23rd to arrive yesterday.

This is how fatal blows work. You only have access to your fatal blow when you have less than 30% life if you have more you can not use it.
Obviously.

It look like they are unsafe
Their armour (i-frames?) do not kick in 'til "five frame in" -- i.e., 1/12th of second.

so is very likely you will die if you get punish for trying to use it at the wrong time.
Inference, seemingly predicated upon "pro" level play (i.e., a guaranteed punish of 30%+ HP for every non-landed FB -- literally: the 'deterrent' necessary for people to not let their unsightly, innate, inner rodent hang out) -- thus, not applicable to this discussion (i.e., neither you, I, nor the vast majority of those who will adjudicate upon M11K's success or failure, are, or ever will endeavour to be, "proe$").

The cooldown time for fatal blows is about 10 seconds
Incorrect. According a developer, it is "three or four seconds... I can't remember".

if it did not hit. If you did hit, you can never use it again.
As you initially stated -- yes.

Fatal blows are not like x ray which have armor on the first frame.
Yes. That has already been touched on.

They work like meter burn b3 on injustice 2.
Incorrect. The Fatal Blows have zero connection to meters -- players are divvied them automatically as a kind of "desperation move" (albeit, a relatively weak one), every time they hit 30% remaining HP (*to be finalised). As such, FB's are more akin to either Tekken 7's "Rage Arts" or the "Rage" gauge (+sword-break attacks) in the Samurai Showdown series.

The armor does not activate for a few frames
Yes. Thank you for re-re-stating that.

which mean you can not use a fatal blow to punish gaps in strings
That claim is wholly contingent upon frame data -- i.e., that every, single "string" hasn't a single instance of a frame gap large enough for someone to mash a no-input / LT+RT FB (an action that could be reasonably performed while blocking, "option select" style) -- the necessary corroborating data for which we haven't access to, nor is it even finalised.

and is very risky to use them when you are at negative frames.
Inference, extrapolation, assumption, guesstimation... # Are just a few of pre-release speculators' fa—vou—rite things! #

I really don't think we'll see someone using his fatal blow more than once in a round
I really don't think a pathological, inveterate lair, reality B-schlock host, recidivist business bungler and 'Manchurian candidate', would get elected president of the United States...

that would be a rare thing to happen if fatal blows are punishble
That would be a rare thing to happen, if a Zionist Neo-con democracy subversion cabal ("electoral college") did not abrogate the vox populi -- as it has indeed done, all but once since Reagan...

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Yeah the zoning was not very good imo. It was just the easiest strategy to use with unfinished characters and 30-45 minutes of preparation.
I do wish they had given you guys a bit more preparation time. Would have resulted in better gameplay, more similar to ketchup and mustard who had more time and thus produced better footage

Tweedy

Noob
I do wish they had given you guys a bit more preparation time. Would have resulted in better gameplay, more similar to ketchup and mustard who had more time and thus produced better footage
Maybe but with Baraka for example he didn't even have his launcher on any of his variations. It was a really old build. Ketchup and Mustard got to make custom variations so their gameplay was gonna be better regardless.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Maybe but with Baraka for example he didn't even have his launcher on any of his variations. It was a really old build. Ketchup and Mustard got to make custom variations so their gameplay was gonna be better regardless.
Damn didn’t realize that. Well I’m sure you and the others will be owning bitches in this game in due time regardless!

omooba

fear the moobs
IMO the real different between 'injustice2' and tbh 'MKX and MK9' is it's a lot slower which is what mk11 is. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just after playing a slow game for 2 years most of us who don't like that expected a faster game. For me just fix IJ2 input problems and add in massive wacky character variety with a sprinkle of balance and i'll be fine. But yeah compared to previous 4 games this is definitely more of an injustice game than a mortal kombat game.

IROC

WP IROC
It wouldnt look as much as Inj2 if it did not have that floaty/slow gravity look. Or the contact areas from fist and feet glowing everytime contact was made. Little stuff like that, but nothing else to me resembles inj2.