What's new

SALTY Reasons we HATE Mortal Kombat XL

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Why are people getting so defensive?

I love this game and I think it's the best MK ever in nearly all senses.

But just because people dislike stuff about the game does not mean they hate the game.

Lack of AA
Safe armour launchers
Jump attacks jailing into 50/50s
Neutral jump attacks being plus
Safe 50/50 combo starters / vortexes
Hard to blockabkes
Stupid ranges strings that have shit all whiff recovery
Plus on block pokes

As for advancing strings I see no problems once there hurtbox advances with them leading to a free whiff punish

Last edited:

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Everyone keeps saying that the fifty-fifties were added for casuals but Kung Lao and Batman in injustice are characters that don't rely on heavy mix ups and are some of the most entertaining characters for me. They don't need mix ups to please casuals if the characters are well made.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I like MKX more than MK9.

With that out of the way, MKX suffers from the same fate just about every other new game in general suffers from, it's scrub friendly. I actually think a fighting game being scrub or noob friendly is a good thing in the long run, as long as there's a big enough skill gap between the level of players, the scrubbier the better. At least in terms of developing the scene and making it bigger and better. However, as a competitive player, I can't even play the shit. I can't stand outplaying my opponent, and then losing because I guessed wrong too many times in a situation where even if I guess right, I have to guess right yet again and sometimes a few more times before I'm out of the guessing prison.

Listen, I understand why 50/50 overhead/lows exist. 50/50's themselves aren't the problem. The problem is most 50/50's lead into BnB levels of damage, this means if you guess wrong you eat a minimum of 25%. A lot of 50/50's are safe on block or hard to punish, this is just a horrible design. If you have to straight up guess and you guess right, you should easily be able to punish your opponent. Right now, there's very little risk to reward ratio. Now these things wouldn't be as bad if getting in to start the 50/50's wasn't so damn easy. Running is really quick and as mentioned, if you d4 to stop the run and they jump instead, they're in. But even if you read the run in jump, the anti airs are so unreliable that you're better off just blocking or trying to trip guard, which is so much more riskier for the defender than the attacker.

Basically, the fundamental problem with the game is the defensive options are horrendous, and the offensive options are too good and there's too many of them. It makes the game boring when you can lose even if you outplay your opponent. If I wanted to play a game where luck was heavily involved, I'd go play Poker. I play fighting games for skill, to be 1v1 with my opponent and outsmart them, not outguess them.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Everyone keeps saying that the fifty-fifties were added for casuals but Kung Lao and Batman in injustice are characters that don't rely on heavy mix ups and are some of the most entertaining characters for me. They don't need mix ups to please casuals if the characters are well made.
The ones that have trouble with 50-50's and hard to blockables and complain about it are casuals that don't know they're casuals.

"They only see what they want to see..."

"They don't know they're free."

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
1) Moves with 2 seconds blockstun
2) Command grabs whiffing for no reason vs standing opponents
3) Hard to blockable

Wow seems 50/50's are the number 1 reason to dislike MK X, so would me standing over an opponent and them having to guess to either block my b32 or b2 that's a 50/50 right?

Last edited:

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
High level SF looks more like a chess match and is the easiest way to talk about and showcase footsies and spacing. The fundamentals are just there.

MK is like

It's so hard to see/play the fundamentals with all the dirt. It looks cool as fuck and the story is way better then SF but it's just too...clusterfucky. Does that make sense?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The only thing that really frustrates me is the incorrect frame data, other than that it's fun. Thing is my brain just doesn't work fast enough to deal with and react with all the shit in this game. But my favorite characters are good and fun to use so it's not that bad really. It's a fun game and I have fun with it. Worst part is the people who don't like the game(which it's ok if you don't) but decide to stick around and be miserable fucks and just rain on everyone else's parade.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Sometimes I wonder whether the people on this Mortal Kombat forum actually like Mortal Kombat games.
Stop.

I've been playing MK since I was 10. Anyone that knows me knows I love MK. But doesn't mean they didn't have games I didn't like. Regardless I've always supported Midway/NRS. I love Mk 1,2, 3. UMK3, 4, DA, and MK9. I did not enjoy MKD or MKvsDC.

MKX has some things that are better than MK9 but overall I do not like the 50/50 guessing or flowchart of the game.

We can love series and not like certain games as anyone can love a tv series and not like certain seasons.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
MKX is about putting your opponent in a safe mixup over and over again till they die and everything else gameplay-wise comes in second.
Thats why its so dumb and good thing i use Shinnok.
This :u is my main gripe when I watch high level matches, thus pushblock should be a thing in this game.

NHDR

Noob
I only wish two things were different:

1. More lenient cancel window; and
2. Easier to run cancel.

That's it. I come from a Street Fighter background and thus appreciate the more "loose" gameplay. Everything else I'm totally fine with. MKX is a great MK, definitely the best one I've ever played.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
High level SF looks more like a chess match and is the easiest way to talk about and showcase footsies and spacing. The fundamentals are just there.

MK is like

It's so hard to see/play the fundamentals with all the dirt. It looks cool as fuck and the story is way better then SF but it's just too...clusterfucky. Does that make sense?
Street fighter looks more like Saturday morning cartoons to me

Yes, the new chars, the music, the stages, there is something in all these and more that doesn't speak MK to me... still a good game.
- D'vorah and Kotal are here to stay, and "smell" like MK. The rest are just interesting on their way...If only NRS included the few classics who were left out from this one…Man.
- Music is great, too heavy sometimes. Doesn't have that mystical / asian / tournament feeling.
- Populated stages like the marketplace are eye candies, but again kill the mystical thingy.

Everytime i'm on MKX, I can't stop thinking about how all these mk9 characters and stages would reach god status in MKX :(

Last edited:

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
- D'vorah and Kotal are here to stay, and "smell" like MK. The rest are just interesting on their way If only NRS included the few classics who were left out from this one…Man.
- Music is great, too heavy sometimes. Doesn't have that mystical / asian / tournament feeling.
- Populated stages like the marketplace are eye candies, but again kill the mystical thingy.

Everytime i'm on MKX, I can't stop thinking about how all these mk9 characters and stages would reach god status in MKX :(
takeda is staying:cool:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.

MK is like

I completely disagree.

SF feels "clean" to most people, but defense is entirely too easy. It might be like chess, but it sure as hell isn't like real fighting.

Its like when I sparred with an Aikido master. Until I learned not to go at him in a straight line, I was eating chops to my crotch, throat, and collarbone. Once I learned to approach differently, I was getting my knees bent back from foot checks. Once I learned a few safe ways to approach, I was able to get into my own game - a little, until he learned that and then it sunk back. Then, I found a gap between his steps and hands and I was able to retreat him to set up centerline strikes once again, until he figured that out and got me to walk into a clothesline.

My point is, fighting isn't "clean" - and to judge a fighting game by its cleanliness is to have a very narrow scope with which to view with.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The current Gripe is that NRS needs to start establishing some ground rules whenever they're going to design a new game, a character shouldn't do able to do whatever it feels like without having to worry about anything.

Every game they make, there are things that are infinitely better for sure, but some of them are keeping getting worse, AAs are getting worse with each game, phantom hitboxes and disjointed hitboxes as well, breathing hitboxes its something that shouldn't even exist anymore, strings that advance fullscreen hitting mids are also getting worse with every game.