What's new

RE: Sektor mains (and Quan Chi...)

Robotic

Gentleman.
Sektor mains (and Quan Chi...)

Hey all,

Jumping right in, the Digital Demon* has been my main for the longest time and will continue to be; I know him best by far and have loads of fun with his move set and design. I REALLY like that his move set has a certain openness to it that if one picks up Sektor, his play style could be vastly different from another Sektor player's play style and still enjoy success with him. I play so much that I really don't have a sub I'm good with. Having said that...

I picked up Quan Chi as my sub. After a good amount of hours practicing his moves - what works in real games and what doesn't, what type of play styles can one succeed with - I've noticed Quan Chi's practical and impractical moves bottleneck the players into essentially playing him the same. It might not be a big deal to a lot of you out there, but I enjoy coming up with my on play style and signature to a character - its just fun to me. Although I still have fun with Quan's "style", I feel like I'm part of a clone army...

I want to "expand my horizons", so, my questions:

1. Sektor being your main, who do you use as an alternate and why? Do some of you use Sek exclusively with no main? why?

2. Am I totally wrong about Quan Chi?

* copyright, biotch.

Sektor just clicked with me. I'm a pretty poor rushdown player, and Sektor has the options to be viable at pretty much all distances.

I used to be a Sektor and Mileena guy, in fact Sektor used to be my secondary with Milenna as my main, but I hit a point where things weren't coming out right with Mileena (NJ 4 instead of u4, d4 instead of roll), so I started putting more work into Cyrax. I feel comfortable calling him my secondary now, but my proficiency with him is nowhere near my proficiency with Sektor. I want to also learn Cyber-Sub, because robots, but I just can't seem to make sense of him.

I don't know enough enough about Quan-Chi to really comment on that front. If anything, I would imagine his lack of strong defensive options would be more limiting than anything.

ryublaze

Noob
I wanted to pick up Sektor because he's red and red (obviously) is my favorite color lol. I knew not many people would use him at launch so Sektor became my main.

I use Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Skarlet as my secondaries. I too like to use my characters in a unique way. I try to play Scorpion as a defensive, anti-air character instead of rushdown. I try to play a mix-up Sub-Zero. and Skarlet...well there aren't too many Skarlets so I don't know what the general playstyle is for her.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Sektor has only a few true bad match ups, so he can function as a solo main character. However he has a huge universal weakness that once someone knows and exposes, he becomes way too limited.

That said, I started to use Rain as a secondary, who also has a universal weakness (meaning that any character can take advantage of this weakness). However it is far different than Sektors.

With all that said, I don't want to discuss the things that if known make Sektor almost non-tournament worthy just a few days before NEC. I plan on getting away with a lot of unseen tech, simply because people don't know better.

Robotic

Gentleman.
So, for the Sektor mains, who is a good fit for you as a sub? Is he so balanced that some of you just don't really play anyone else (that's me, kinda)? Meaning, he has some advantages - though not crazy, and some challenges to keep things interesting?

Crathen

Death is my business
Well i consider myself a Sektor mainer altough i've picked Kabal day 1 , personally i love his evil robotic look and it comes with a moveset that fits my style , being able to switch quickly from defence to offence it's really satisfing and he still requires work and reflexes to be competitive.

Actually looking at my mains / secondaries ( kabal , sektor , noob ) i've noticed i like characters with good keepaway and ranged normals / moves with an intense oki game.

Is he so balanced that some of you just don't really play anyone else (that's me, kinda)?
Essentially. He's versatile enough that if things are going bad, I can dramatically change my play style before changing characters.

The main reason I work on other characters is for the sake of variety.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Reptile, he is perfect at taking out Sektor's bad matchups (except Mileena).

Until last month I used both 50/50 but I find Sektor more versatile and alot of people still have relatively little matchup experience against him so I've given him a bit more focus.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I main sektor because as a character he's been my favourite since MK3. Even before the game was released i knew i was going to main him, even if he was terrible. That said i love how defensive he is as a character, he has offensive spurts that can rattle some people and frustrate them all the way into the flame burner lol. That said i don't think you can win a whole match by being offensive at all, his strings are very easy to poke out of.

In terms of secondary i also use smoke and noob. I like them as characters primarily so that's why i use them, my noob is better than my smoke admittedly but i think i have a lot to learn with both.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I've been drawn to Sektor for awhile, but I'm just now taking him to the lab. I must say he is a lot of fun to use, but is far from ready to be my main. I've been using Baraka, Smoke, and a little Sindel. I may very well make Sektor my main though if I ever stop dropping his combos. His keep away game is really good.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I main sektor because as a character he's been my favourite since MK3. Even before the game was released i knew i was going to main him, even if he was terrible. That said i love how defensive he is as a character, he has offensive spurts that can rattle some people and frustrate them all the way into the flame burner lol. That said i don't think you can win a whole match by being offensive at all, his strings are very easy to poke out of.

In terms of secondary i also use smoke and noob. I like them as characters primarily so that's why i use them, my noob is better than my smoke admittedly but i think i have a lot to learn with both.
I've known about the strange Reptile connection Sektors mainers have, but the Noob connection is new. You're the 2nd player to take a secondary liking to Noob, being a Sektor main. What is it about Noob, and should I take a look at him as well?

Also, Smoke? Really? I hate his design and clunky feel. Maybe you guys use the same conditioner? :D I wonder if he smells like a Russian bath house, or a Texas BBQ joint.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I've known about the strange Reptile connection Sektors mainers have, but the Noob connection is new. You're the 2nd player to take a secondary liking to Noob, being a Sektor main. What is it about Noob, and should I take a look at him as well?

Also, Smoke? Really? I hate his design and clunky feel. Maybe you guys use the same conditioner? :D I wonder if he smells like a Russian bath house, or a Texas BBQ joint.
I just really enjoy playing noob, his portal traps are brilliant fun to land, i also like juggling people off up kicks haha.

Smokes hair aint got diddly dick on my marvelous locks!

devil_puncher

Sektor Supreme
I've played Sektor since play MK3 and MK4 Gold. Hes always been my favorite and I love his play style on MK9. He has good rush down (for me at least), good defense, and looks bad ass. As for my secondary....well thats hard to say. I guess Kitana is the only one I'm really good with besides Sektor, so she's my secondary.