What's new

Rate Your Team!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Happy New Year, fools.

If you search my post history, I believe that I have created such a thread for every single NRS fighting game since Mortal Kombat 9. Me feeling old AF right now aside, rate your character, or team rather, using the rubric below. The purpose is to learn more about the game and share the information, some of which may be presented on the podcast, with your training partners and fellow TYM members. I also hear that Lord Paolo is lurking, and if you downplay enough (please do not!), you may receive buffs. In all seriousness, I will rate Reiko/Tremor, the team that I have been using the most recently, very soon. I will also include a couple of my secondary teams at a later time. Please consider rating teams, not individual characters, and provide brief explanations using the categories and point system below.
  • Offensive options (5/5) – this category revolves around frame advantage on block and hit, 50/50 mix ups, hard-to-blockable setups, and vortices.
  • Neutral game and footsies (5/5) – this category revolves around normal attacks and special moves that control the space in your vicinity, including the air.
  • Defensive options (5/5) – this category revolves around defense, specifically the value of your character’s armored special move but also the frame data and range of his or her low pokes as well as the quantity of health points.
  • Damage output (5/5) – this category revolves around the damage output that a team acquires from combos.
  • Zoning and anti-zoning (5/5) – this category revolves around options outside of footsies range such as a projectile or a long-range physical attack. Also evaluate a team’s ability to avoid projectiles and close the gap from a distance.
Reiko/Tremor

Offensive options 4.5/5 - 2,1 is +2 on block. b+4 is +3 on block and hits low. b+2 hits high but is +8 on block. f+2 is a safe and un-reactable overhead. Command throw leads to 30%+ of damage. This team has everything that you need to win offensively. The only reason that I am subtracting half a point is because the command throw inherently carries a risk and a couple of the resources are expensive (i.e., ambush ground pound and EX command throw costing two bars).

Neutral game and footsies (4.5/5) - d+4 is one of the best, if not the best, low pokes in the game because of its speed, range, and frame advantage on hit, which allows you to set up the aforementioned offensive options. EX stars are excellent in the neutral. b+3 is a solid whiff punisher, but there is some risk as the move is -13 on block while b+3,4 does not jail. For this reason, I am subtracting half a point. As far as anti air is concerned, standing 4 is very good.

Defensive options (4.5/5) - Standard d+1 with very good range. Exceptional d+4 as already mentioned. Tremor provides an additional 100 health points. Advancing armor that guarantees okizeme on hit. The armor is slow at 19 frames, though, which prevents Reiko/Tremor from having a perfect score as some characters can crush the startup with quick consecutive strings rather easily, forcing you to take the mix up.

Damage output (4.5/5) - damaging yet expensive is an accurate description of this team. After any string, you deal 40%+ using one bar and the full kameo bar. You deal 33% of damage after command throw using the same resources. These numbers increase by 10-12% using fatal blow. If you spend three bars and use fatal blow, you deal around 55%. The comeback potential is therefore one of the best in the game. Reiko's damage output without Tremor, on the other hand, is below average. He usually does around 25% meter-less and 32% using one bar.

Zoning and anti-zoning (4.5/5) – stars are obviously one of the best projectiles in the game. They are decently fast, multi-hitting, and damaging. They also have a high vertical hitbox. EX stars are excellent as already mentioned. You can use metallic's rock toss against characters like Kung Lao and Nitara who like to remain in the air a lot. If the opponent is caught airborne, rock toss launches, and you can follow up with EX slide if you are close enough. Unlike Motaro's reflect, Crystalline's wall punch needs to be used preemptively, but the move still serves its purpose. Aside from characters like Liu Kang and Quan Chi, Reiko essentially out-zones everyone else and controls the pace of the match with the stars.

Final Score: 22.5/25

Ashrah/Sareena

To be added... them top tier ladies...

Quan Chi/Sareena

To be added... NRS = anti-zoning zealots...

Last edited:

LEGEND

YES!
Shang/Darrius
  • Offensive options (4/5) – Standard Strike/Throw with great damage on the strike portion and both lead into Safe 50/50 Combos that can be looped an additional time if at full Kameo bar. Lacks real mixups without a prior setup.
  • Neutral game and footsies (3/5) – Great pokes in D3 and D4, both give enough frame advantage to start his Strike/Throw game. Lacks disjoint and/or meterless F you buttons so he is easily disrespected. has trouble wiff punishing outside counter poke setups. Overall just really bad on wiff so you end up having to play really slow and lame.
  • Defensive options (4/5) – Young EX DF2 launches for full combo with Darrius NK. Good poke into Special game. His pokes in general are good for defense. Great Anti-Airs. Getting caught up close in old form or without meter sucks.
  • Damage output (4.5/5) – Maybe the best meterless damage in the game. Lacks ways to cash-out for higher damage and comboing into FB is usually only possible early on in a combo or ends up scaling heavily.
  • Zoning and anti-zoning (5/5) – Trading with Air Ground Skull now has real reward. Depending on the interaction, it could jail them into eating 5% chip or force them to eat a 50/50.

____
Baraka/Stryker
  • Offensive options (5/5) – Constantly safe or plus while dealing chip and building meter. His great defensive tools make this style of offense even better as the little damage you deal with chip and throws is easily protected, forcing you opponent to take risks in order to open you up.
  • Neutral game and footsies (4.5/5) – Just great buttons overall. Press them freely with Stryker coverage. So good.
  • Defensive options (4.5/5) – safe poke -> Special is great, safe-ish armor is pretty good as well. Great disjointed buttons for defensive buffers like stand 2 - > DF2.
  • Damage output (3/5) – Pretty low damage. Usually are spending a bar to get past 30%, but he does alot of chip over the course of a match so 3/5 sounds about right.
  • Zoning and anti-zoning (3.5/5) – Spark is really solid. Its fast and hits for 8% which allows you to win trades vs zoning attempts. And ofc you have the BF3 which ducks alot of projectiles and EX which can tank the first hit of things like Shang triple fireball and duck the rest.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Shang/Darrius
  • Offensive options (4/5) – Standard Strike/Throw with great damage on the strike portion and both lead into Safe 50/50 Combos that can be looped an additional time if at full Kameo bar. Lacks real mixups without a prior setup.
Could you provide further details? What is the combo? What is the 50/50 mix up?

I am asking questions because 4/5 is a high score for a cooldown as long as Darrius's.

LEGEND

YES!
Could you provide further details? What is the combo? What is the 50/50 mix up?

I am asking questions because 4/5 is a high score for a cooldown as long as Darrius's.
Its alot to go over every detail. I've been posting about it in the Shang forum.

Basically Darrius's DK overhead (only half a Kameo bar) can be picked up for a full combo, 30%ish, and Shang's low F3 - > Mid GS is 35ish% I think of the top of my head, with the DK covering Shang if the F3 gets blocked. Layer 1 is to use it as a plus-on-block armor break a la Baraka/Stryker.

Shang Does get alot of little hits in during a match where you can call Darrius to try and enforce this situation as well.

The Young Shang DF2 -> NK combo does about 25% iirc.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Li Mei/Scorpion

Offensive options (5/5) – High damaging un-reactable 50/50s with f4 and iadb4(ex). Great staggers with 124. Good plus frames and a way to enforce them with 214, 1, 12, b3, b34, ex bf1. Call it an upplay, but I think she has every offensive tool a character could want besides throw combos (and she has them in some specific circumstances).

Neutral game and footsies (3/5) – d4 and f4 provide some decent neutral spacing. bf4 is also a decent half screen option to punish people whiffing. In the air she has bf1 and db4 which can change jump arc, making it harder to anti-air. Otherwise she does suffer a bit from t-rex syndrome and her mid isn't hitconfirmable. Lantern can also help her neutral somewhat as it forces people to approach grounded. Her grounded speed is great and her general mobility is also top-notch.

Defensive options (4/5) – Standard health of 1000. Decent pokes with good range. Her armour is ok, nothing super special, but it's serviceable. Her reversal db3(ex) is an incredibly strong defensive tool however, allowing punishes on many things that would otherwise be safe. Given it's a 7frame reversal, it can often be used to trade in situations where a d1 would fail; the trade leading to a full combo. Scorpion back spear is a really good wakeup, and will often get you out of situations where you would otherwise be pressured.

Damage output (5/5) - Li Mei is in the running for best/most consistent practical damage in the game. Easily getting 40%+ for 1 kameo and 50% + if you wanna spend a bar + extra kameo.

Zoning and anti-zoning (4/5) – Lantern and bf1 are some of the better projectiles in the game. Her ability to control space and force approaches is actually pretty decent. bf4 is a pretty great anti-zoning tool, leading to 40%+ damage if you catch people doing unsafe things from midscreen.

Total score:
21/25

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Basically Darrius's DK overhead (only half a Kameo bar) can be picked up for a full combo...
Is that move the new kameo attack that NRS added in the most recent patch? If so, how do you even perform that move? LOL. As a Reiko player, I should know, but I have been using Tremor exclusively.

Li Mei/Scorpion

Offensive options (5/5) – High damaging un-reactable 50/50s with f4 and iadb4(ex). Great staggers with 124. Good plus frames and a way to enforce them with 214, 1, 12, b3, b34, ex bf1. Call it an upplay, but I think she has every offensive tool a character could want besides throw combos (and she has them in some specific circumstances).
Scorpion's buffed overhead attack is also good to throw out once in a while, right? The risk versus reward is now in Li Mei's favor.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Scorpion's buffed overhead attack is also good to throw out once in a while, right? The risk versus reward is now in Li Mei's favor.
Ehh it’s very niche but it does have a small use. b34 vs b3~f+kameo can definitely catch people sometimes; although it’s very reactable. Otherwise, situations where you might wanna use it (eg in gaps where people might mash d1), the move is so slow that the opponent can mash out anyways. Also, the conversion she gets off it isn’t that great - 25% meterless, 33% with a bar. Compared to the other uses she has for kameo, it’s not really a tool I’d use that often.

It is always nice to have something else though, and it can definitely catch some people off guard.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Mileena/Sonya:

Offensive options (4/5)
(4.5/5 if they don't FB 1,2.) – The fear that 1,2 strikes into the opponents I face makes it such a good tool, even with the risk of flawless block. Stagger into throw, stagger into F1, stagger into her +2 B4, or with Sonya kameo, cancel S1 into EX Low Sai for a full combo 50/50. F4 is a great button too, overhead and armor-breaking, but is death on whiff. Very few plus on block buttons, but good range on her most prominent ones. Overall, she calls for a more patient playstyle than I first expected, but once she gets going, she can snowball like crazy.

Neutral game and footsies (4/5) – Solid mid, solid standing jabs, and basically all of her most prominent buttons are hit-confirmable. Cancelling dash into S1 covers good ground for whiff punishing, and YOLO Ball Roll in the neutral is always a threat. Combine that with Sonya's new mid projectile and the opponent is forced to either do something to avoid it that Mileena likely has an answer for, or just block it and let her get in for free to start her pressure. The big downside is no ambush assist to cover riskier plays, but holding Energy Rings gives Mileena enough to work with.

Defensive options (4/5) – Standard 1000 HP, a good D4, B4 is +2, and great range on her D1. Unfortunately, her D1 is -10 on block, so it's actually full combo punishable against certain characters. Poke into Ball Roll is pure degeneracy if you're willing to roll that dice. Very good anti air in S1, and Sonya gives a full combo off of D2 as well. Armored special has 22 frames of start-up, so gets armor-broken very easily.

Damage output (5/5) – Mileena already has some pretty good damage on her own, but Sonya turns almost any hit into ~40% meterless. Spending a bar gets 47%, and a Fatal Blow combo can do around 59% for some true robbery. Also worth noting that Sonya has the only 14% throw in the roster currently, so that damage will add up very quickly.

Zoning and anti-zoning (4/5) – Though her Sais are serviceable, Mileena isn't really a character who wants to play the zoning game. However, with Sonya she has great ways to get around it. Not only does Sonya's projectile combine well with Telekick to let Mileena get in on her opponent whenever she wants, but if the rings hit, it's a full combo. Not only that, but because Sonya steps in front of Mileena while she's charging it, she can eat single-hitting projectiles in certain instances, allowing Mileena to counter with either a Roll or Ex Up Telekick during the opponent's recovery frames. Even without assist, Mileena can use Down Telekick on reaction against most projectiles, or Ball Roll underneath them as a riskier play. There's basically no way to keep her out for long.

TOTAL SCORE:
21/25

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Finalized Reiko/Tremor.

Thank you to all of those members who have contributed thus far.