What's new

Rain general discussion

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
can someone give me a run down of moves that he has? Hydroplane, tidal wave and lightning all seem pretty good but what about his other moves?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I'm really enjoying his quantum slice in the air. Load it up in a match for a free crushing blow anytime. Amplify it to be safe. It's pretty fun. It doesn't need the air mobility, but it's fun lol

His purple rain ability may have some really good setplay action. 16f start up but each lightning strike is a mid and on block is +52. It's +67 when amplified.

I'm really enjoying his quantum slice in the air. Load it up in a match for a free crushing blow anytime. Amplify it to be safe. It's pretty fun. It doesn't need the air mobility, but it's fun lol
I don't understand. Don't you have to catch two projectiles with rift before you get krushing blow off quantum slice? What do you mean load it up in a match for free?

I think its better to just equip hydroplane instead of tidal wave as it has a kb and seems to be practically safe because altho its minus 16 it has a lot of push back on block. You can also cancel it for one bar of defensive and save the offensive meter for rain's much needed baby dick damage.

I guess tidal wave gives him a mix off 134 or 13 tidal wave. My hope for the move is maybe people will expect you to amp it so it will be safeish like noob's slide or sub's creeping ice?? I agree its a cool looking move :/

Hydro boost seems to be really wonky. Certain strings also whiff/kinda don't pop up in the corner. Maybe its just me but 242 amp hydro boost doesn't work in the corner. And yeah mid screen it doesn't seem to work with back 21 amp hydro boost from P2 side. Super weird.

So Rain is like a rush down character with no mix, no damage, no plus frames, and no whiff punishing ability.

So he's a get in your face and lose character, lol.

He's like a bully thats 4'6 and weighs 80 pounds, you don't wanna smack him away cuz you know you'll crush his little ego. You just go "oh no you got me lil guy, youre the winner. I'm no match for you" and feel good watching him walk away with his little head held high.

This is my very early hot take.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
I’m not a fan of the headpieces that are attached on his skins. I wish I could’ve removed them :(

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
It's frustrating that Water Ball and Purple Pain can't be used together... I'm also struggling with combo'ing off of 2-4-2 but I'll get the hang of it.

My biggest gripe I have is that Geyser Kick (which is not Roundhouse from MK9) has a Back-Forward input instead of Down-Back. I know that sounds kind of stupid but I loved his inputs in Mortal Kombat 9 (2011). I'm hoping it all clicks with me after awhile. I am a loyalist to the character and besides Noob Saibot, don't really like playing as anyone else in MK11.

I'm really disappointed that he doesn't have any Roundhouse cancel shenanigans or some cooler pressure strings. They didn't go in the direction I was hoping with just building off of what he has always been. But uh... plop, plop.

Is anyone going to make a Combo Thread or is it just too early for all of that?

Last edited:
After being inspired by dink I've found 242 amp UP bubble, Uppercut, 242 geyser palm for 31%. Not a fan of equipping bubble tho. And I have more luck doing slight walk back after amp up bubble.

Here's dink's video:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I’m running hydro boost (in hopes that it gets fixed soon), and tidal wave (for safety). Can anyone recommend me a 3rd move for the remaining slot?

This is more than likely the worst character in the game. Way too early to tell I know, but this is my day 1 prediction. Especially until hydro boost gets fixed.

The fact that 133 whiffs on like everything including FB and 242 is full kombo punishable on block without the ability to cancel into anything is hysterical.