What's new

Raiden General Discussion

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I’m digging his new vibe and style. I don’t know how to explain it, but his moves seem much more Shaolin monk than a god fighting.

looks like he retains his classic moves too. Electric Fly, teleport, projectile. The first special move they showed seemed similar to Storm Cell.

Overall I’m really excited to see what they do with him this game.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
He is the sole reason why i will buy this game, really dying to see more of him. I hope his teleport is good with faster recovery that'll allow him to use it as a part of combo, not just for positioning. also hoping the electric fireball is cancelable if the game have FBC to begin with.

giving him kung lao's kart wheel kicks from mkx was a nice touch, he's a full fledged shaolin now with lightning powers. and this time around they have to bring back his iconic battlecry for his electric fly.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I hope they don't remove the gibberish. After playing Strive and SF6 I find the vocalisations to be quite endearing

Darth-Nero

I wonder if this means no staff? RIP Truth & Light.
hopefully he wont need it, and he will have some cool lightning trap setups without it.

But here's hoping for rolling thunder, i really want that move to return and be viable XD

Pizza

Thrill Kill
After how they botched the Dark Raiden mini-arc between MKX and MK11, making him a mortal Shaolin monk is the most interesting thing I've seen with the character in years.

I was also becoming tired of his "stoic wise god" persona, that's why I was hoping they brought back his original deranged personality from MK1 lmao but the Shaolin monk route seems much more interesting.

And I'm sure his moveset is not gonna disappoint. The glimpses of gameplay we've seen so far look amazing.

Black Chapters

Legend of Legaia Main
So............not much to work with here

looking at the trailer I'm wondering if his spark blast meter burn produces a slow moving ball or something, he looks to summon it in place then push forward

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Interesting. I hope we get to see more gameplay and a breakdown soon so I don't start talking out of my ass, but that little animation reminded me of Venom from Guilty Gear.

Venom is a very complex character. One of his key mechanics is the ability to set up pool balls on the screen, and he can interact with them in different ways. Naturally he is one of the most oppressive characters!

His comprehensive guide is nearly three hours lol at the 1:05:50 mark there's the balls explanation.

Now I'm not saying Raiden is gonna play anywhere near Venom, that much we can already tell from the trailer. But maybe there's some inspiration from Venom here? What if Raiden can do setups that are similar to Venom's?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Didn't Raiden from Injustice 2 have something where he could essentially freeze his fireball or something?

My first guess is that his fireball is just one big animation, but it'd be a fun twist if he could do more with it. It could be similar to how his Lightning Rod move worked in MK11.

Darth-Nero

I am convinced that the lightning ball is a summon, he could either launch it or leave it as a trap. otherwise that's the longest basic fireball animation ever.

Black Chapters

Legend of Legaia Main
Didn't Raiden from Injustice 2 have something where he could essentially freeze his fireball or something?

My first guess is that his fireball is just one big animation, but it'd be a fun twist if he could do more with it. It could be similar to how his Lightning Rod move worked in MK11.
that was from MKX, his meterburn lightning could be fired and stopped in place on the arena

and please, nothing like his rod, that move was ass

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

He had a really cool fireball in Injustice 2.

It was a decently fast, spammable high but not winning the zoning war type of move and it was a stance so you could charge/delay the shot and dash out of it. Fully charge was actually unlockable but very long charge.

When you meter burned the charge, it become like a moving Bo' Rai Cho fart cloud that would go from stage end to stage end, if you superman'd the opponent or teleported, you could hit them into it, or use it for block pressure, etc.

But he also had the trait where he could meter both the lightning ball after it was out which would leave a different looking lightning trap which also combo's from strings. So you could like meterburn it to catch someone trying to jump it.

Not the strongest character or best showing from Raiden but very fun to do fireball shenanigans as Raiden in the matchups that allowed for it, 'am I gonna do the fireball or not' or 'oh you wanna just turtle the zoning, hold this setup teleport mixup'

And his Buddha mask was sickkkk

OutWorldAleMerchant

Hotaru's Number One Fan
Not the strongest character or best showing from Raiden but very fun to do fireball shenanigans as Raiden in the matchups that allowed for it, 'am I gonna do the fireball or not' or 'oh you wanna just turtle the zoning, hold this setup teleport mixup'

And his Buddha mask was sickkkk
He was pretty much the MKX Raiden ported, complete with his customizable abilities giving him the 3 variations from MKX, but that's all he needed to be.

What I want to know is why Injustice Raiden feels so much more impressive than MKX/MK11 Raiden. Something about his intros makes him feel like a whole different character, in a good way. Raiden is a bit of a milquetoast in 11, and in Injustice he tells Grodd "i'll place your head at the foot of your throne".