What's new

Question about gamepad vs fightstick

Like I said earlier, I know it's all personal preference. I just thought it was odd that nearly everyone in the EVO 2011 Top 8 was using a pad. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me that I have to have a stick in order to be good, because we all know that's silly. I do have a HRAP 3 for PS3, but like I said; I'm brand new to fighters so I'm trying to find the most efficient way to learn MK9 when I pick the game up tomorrow.

I don't know who I plan on maining, but I'm very interested in Nightwolf, Sonya, and Jax (just to name a few).

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
Like I said earlier, I know it's all personal preference. I just thought it was odd that nearly everyone in the EVO 2011 Top 8 was using a pad. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me that I have to have a stick in order to be good, because we all know that's silly. I do have a HRAP 3 for PS3, but like I said; I'm brand new to fighters so I'm trying to find the most efficient way to learn MK9 when I pick the game up tomorrow.

I don't know who I plan on maining, but I'm very interested in Nightwolf, Sonya, and Jax (just to name a few).
i believe reo would have use a hitbox if they were legal

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
As far as I know hit boxes are legal, as are keyboards.
i was under the impression they were banned at mlg. in fact i know that i read sabin say they were. [whether they were or not, im not sure].

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I dont like using a stick even for SF. Moving your whole hand to maneuver just felt odd, but I really liked the button layout so I bought a fightpad. Never looked back.

MaceWind

Crazy 88
Just an observation; I believe just about everyone in the MLG top 16 was using a pad except CDjr. He uses a Madcatz TE stick with a standard 8-button layout. If there was someone else using a stick, I did not see it.

mk9 is a pad game imo. the ps2 pad is really good and just familiar to use. other games are better with sticks maybe but I bought a fightpad for street fighter, but I adjusted so much to the ps2 pad, so my execution on ps2pad is just as good.

BTW PL prefers pad I believe, he just used stick at mlg because he didn't have a decent pad anymore. Reo who has godlike execution with mk also plays with pad.

aj1701

Noob
mk9 is a pad game imo. the ps2 pad is really good and just familiar to use. other games are better with sticks maybe but I bought a fightpad for street fighter, but I adjusted so much to the ps2 pad, so my execution on ps2pad is just as good.
Ya I think its mainly down to preference. How to do moves has been the same since MK1 (df1, for example) so not much has changed there. I find I play much better on stick, although playing on stick has also improved my pad playing, oddly.

Reo who has godlike execution with mk also plays with pad.
REO has used everything at some point I think, I'm not sure it matters what he plays on, he's just good.