What's new

Strategy - Sorcerer Quan Chi Sorcerer Variation Discussion Thread

So the final Hex got hotfixed and now multiplies you chip only by 1.5 instead of 3. That makes no sense. Hope NRS doesn't forget to bring it back to 3 when they fix the double spell glitch.

macro

Eezeepeezee
Sorcerer Quan setup
f2122, 4, 4, INJP, 14xxMBrune, 4xxtrance, chip aura, 14xxrune 45% hard knockdown setup into meaty chip pressure

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Salty question: Is it necessary for Quan to have armor while he's in the air above the portal too?

Would he be OK without it?

And yes, I got bodied by sorcerer for the 1st time recently lol

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
Salty question: Is it necessary for Quan to have armor while he's in the air above the portal too?

Would he be OK without it?

And yes, I got bodied by sorcerer for the 1st time recently lol
Maybe not Necessary but hardly OP
I don't see why it shouldn't?

Also, when using the metre drain spell the air skulls need to be affected.
So I guess that might be the main reason it's active in the air.

Oh and his Tele is shit, so using in the portal can be an option.

Last edited:

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Maybe not Necessary but hardly OP
I don't see why it shouldn't?

Also, when using the metre drain spell the air skulls need to be affected.
So I guess that might be the main reason it's active in the air.

Oh and his Tele is shit, so using in the portal can be an option.
The biggest thing for me was once I was in the corner and the armor portal was up, it seemed like I had no options.

What can I do besides block and guess right for 8 seconds straight?

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
The biggest thing for me was once I was in the corner and the armor portal was up, it seemed like I had no options.

What can I do besides block and guess right for 8 seconds straight?
If you have a fast armour breaking string?
Remember, this is all he gets in this variation. It might seem really strong but he is essentially variationless until he gets a knock down.

Nortnauq

QUAN CHI FOR DLC
If you have a fast armour breaking string?
Remember, this is all he gets in this variation. It might seem really strong but he is essentially variationless until he gets a knock down.
Summoner is basically the same way now too, variationless until 141.

Post patch (Sorcerer) Quan Chi meter drain CONCEPT*combos.
This video show the same combo using first just 1bar, then 2 bars and at the end 3 bars.
My favorite is the one using 2bars because you drain a lot of the oponnent meter and you still have pretty decent meter while gain more and more with the pressure of the skulls and runes. The 3 bars combo is just for swag.

Goat-City

Banned
Post patch (Sorcerer) Quan Chi meter drain CONCEPT*combos.
This video show the same combo using first just 1bar, then 2 bars and at the end 3 bars.
My favorite is the one using 2bars because you drain a lot of the oponnent meter and you still have pretty decent meter while gain more and more with the pressure of the skulls and runes. The 3 bars combo is just for swag.

When would you start a combo using s2? The optimal 2 bar Sorcerer combo midscreen now is f2122/b324, 4 EX trance, meter drain spell, run into crossover punch, f2122, quick run 4, mid rune, MB rune, far rune - 44% and drains 1.3/1.35 bars of meter (Depends on how much meter they have when the combo starts). Off b2 for 2 bars the best you can get is b2 EX trance, forward dash, crossover punch f2122, step forward NJP, quick run 4 mid rune, MB rune, far rune - 41% and drains 1.3/1.35 bars of meter.

I personally don't do 1 bar meter drain combos. They do less damage than the meterless version of the same combo, give you less advantage, no hard knockdown, no free armor spell setup, and don't even send them full screen. But for what it's worth, the best 1 bar meter drain combos for Sorcerer are f2122, b2 trance, meter drain spell, b324, d3 mid rune, MB rune, far rune. The execution is a bit too hard to be reliable but it does 3% more damage than using 21 after trance and it sends them full screen rather than midscreen. You can also do b324, 14 trance, meter drain spell, b324, d3 mid rune, MB rune, far rune - 33% with the same meter drain, or b2 trance, meter drain spell, 21 close rune, MB rune, mid rune.

Last edited:
When would you start a combo using s2? The optimal 2 bar Sorcerer combo midscreen now is f2122/b324, 4 EX trance, meter drain spell, run into crossover punch, f2122, quick run 4, mid rune, MB rune, far rune - 44% and drains 1.3/1.35 bars of meter (Depends on how much meter they have when the combo starts). Off b2 for 2 bars the best you can get is b2 EX trance, forward dash, crossover punch f2122, step forward NJP, quick run 4 mid rune, MB rune, far rune - 41% and drains 1.3/1.35 bars of meter.

I personally don't do 1 bar meter drain combos. They do less damage than the meterless version of the same combo, give you less advantage, no hard knockdown, no free armor spell setup, and don't even send them full screen. But for what it's worth, the best 1 bar meter drain combos for Sorcerer are f2122, b2 trance, meter drain spell, b324, d3 mid rune, MB rune, far rune. The execution is a bit too hard to be reliable but it does 3% more damage than using 21 after trance and it sends them full screen rather than midscreen. You can also do b324, 14 trance, meter drain spell, b324, d3 mid rune, MB rune, far rune - 33% with the same meter drain, or b2 trance, meter drain spell, 21 close rune, MB rune, mid rune.

Dude s2 is 8 frame start up, the faster of Quan Chi. The main thing of this combo is no optimal damage, is punish. I do a lot of punish with that starter and also is pretty good anti air , f2122 is pretty slow and if you want to be succesful with that string is using jump in punch most of time. Try s2 more often in your matches, you will remember me. BTW this combo drain a lot of meter of the oponent and after the 21 is unblockable. Using ex rune while the oponent is blocking is not worth it in my opinion. See my combo again and compare how much meter drains with 2 bars even with 1bar unblokable with the fast starter s2 wich I use to punish, Then see if your suggestion of start with the slow f2122 and wasting 2 bars for just 1.35 meter drain is worth it. I called meter drain combo because is the main purpose, no do a lot of damage in the opponent thats another topic. Apart of that thank you for your combos ideas.

Last edited:

Goat-City

Banned
Dude s2 is 8 frame start up, the faster of Quan Chi. The main thing of this combo is no optimal damage, is punish. I do a lot of punish with that starter and also is pretty good anti air , f2122 is pretty slow and if you want to be succesful with that string is using jump in punch most of time. Try s2 more often in your matches, you will remember me. BTW this combo drain a lot of meter of the oponent and after the 21 is unblockable. Using ex rune while the oponent is blocking is not worth it in my opinion.
If I'm gonna punish something it'll be with s14 trance. It's only 1 frame slower, it's easier to special cancel, and it does more damage. There are very few situations where I would be compelled to punish with s2 instead. Aside from that, you'd never use it in the neutral or after a JIP, so I guess your combos are just for extremely rare punishes. They are optimal though if you want to do them, but I wouldn't because of what I said in my reply. You lose a ton of damage, spend a bar, less advantage, no full screen hard knockdown, and no post knockdown spell setup. If you were gonna use s2 to punish something then I would do s2 trance, jump back punch, f2122, NJP, 141 into spell setup.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
If I'm gonna punish something it'll be with s14 trance. It's only 1 frame slower, it's easier to special cancel, and it does more damage. There are very few situations where I would be compelled to punish with s2 instead. Aside from that, you'd never use it in the neutral or after a JIP, so I guess your combos are just for extremely rare punishes. They are optimal though if you want to do them, but I wouldn't because of what I said in my reply. You lose a ton of damage, spend a bar, less advantage, no full screen hard knockdown, and no post knockdown spell setup. If you were gonna use s2 to punish something then I would do s2 trance, jump back punch, f2122, NJP, 141 into spell setup.
Standing 1 is significantly stubbier than standing 2 though. I tried punishing a point blank Cyrax net a couple days ago and standing 1 literally did not fucking reach. I think you would be surprised at how often standing 2 can come into play as an emergency punish normal, and overall I do think lackluster punishment/counterpoking options for anything -14 or less is one of the biggest variation-wide problems Quan has that isn't really talked about.

Last edited:
Again, the main purpose of this particular combo is to meter drain the opponent while they can't do anything about it because after 21 is unblockable, I'm aware of all the combos you say, just my combo is not about hard knockdown into spell, or do a lot of damage, is to drain the meter of the opponent for "free" because while you use your bar you recover it quickly again my using skulls and runes, thats all. Thanks again but you are talking about different things, but they are worth it tho for the people that doesnt know about it.

Goat-City

Banned
Again, the main purpose of this particular combo is to meter drain the opponent while they can't do anything about it because after 21 is unblockable, I'm aware of all the combos you say, just my combo is not about hard knockdown into spell, or do a lot of damage, is to drain the meter of the opponent for "free" because while you use your bar you recover it quickly again my using skulls and runes, thats all. Thanks again but you are talking about different things, but they are worth it tho for the people that doesnt know about it.
I understand the purpose of it, I'm just saying it's a waste of meter in my opinion for the reasons I gave.

Goat-City

Banned
Standing 1 is significantly stubbier than standing 2 though. I tried punishing a point blank Cyrax net a couple days ago and standing 1 literally did not fucking reach. I think you would be surprised at how often standing 2 can come into play as an emergency punish normal, and overall I do think lackluster punishment/counterpoking options for anything -14 or less is one of the biggest variation-wide problems Quan has that isn't really talked about.
Yep I know exactly what you mean about Quan's normals. I think people would talk about it if he was a balanced character being overhyped, but since he's always had at least 1 OP variation and still does, it was never really a talking point because slow normals or not he's still S tier. I didn't know s2 had slightly better range than s1 though. I might start using it more then.

Yep I know exactly what you mean about Quan's normals. I think people would talk about it if he was a balanced character being overhyped, but since he's always had at least 1 OP variation and still does, it was never really a talking point because slow normals or not he's still S tier. I didn't know s2 had slightly better range than s1 though. I might start using it more then.
s2 range is way better then s1. For example Bone Shaper's Dark Beam can only be punished with a s2! Everything else is either too slow or doesn't have the range.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
err, not sure if this is new, or if it was changed in another earlier patch. But the timer on the armour spell doesn't refresh upon leaving...
I never really intended to do this trick before but when checking to see if the flip stance armour refresh still worked, I kept failing it.
Actully walking out and back in doesn't work either. I was going to make a short video on it but I'm afraid in case I make myself look like an idiot XD
I had a long break before I found my somewhat recent employment... And I couldn't stop playing Warframe /excuse

Goat-City

Banned
err, not sure if this is new, or if it was changed in another earlier patch. But the timer on the armour spell doesn't refresh upon leaving...
I never really intended to do this trick before but when checking to see if the flip stance armour refresh still worked, I kept failing it.
Actully walking out and back in doesn't work either. I was going to make a short video on it but I'm afraid in case I make myself look like an idiot XD
I had a long break before I found my somewhat recent employment... And I couldn't stop playing Warframe /excuse
Yeah Paulo mentioned that in the patch stream, but he also said it regenerates slightly faster without leaving it. It was 6 seconds before and now I think it's 4 seconds.

So can anyone explain me what this actually means?
  • Quan Chi (Sorcerer) - Having the armor trigger from Dark Curse while in a stun reaction will no keep his blocking disabled
  • Quan Chi (Sorcerer) - Added code to Dark Curse to not add armor if he being juggled in a reaction. This is currently not active because it would likely be more detrimental in most cases

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
So can anyone explain me what this actually means?
  • Quan Chi (Sorcerer) - Having the armor trigger from Dark Curse while in a stun reaction will no keep his blocking disabled
  • Quan Chi (Sorcerer) - Added code to Dark Curse to not add armor if he being juggled in a reaction. This is currently not active because it would likely be more detrimental in most cases
Thank god #2 is not active, it would ruin his position game midscreen. for me, anyways, since i typically stand in front of my armor portals
as for #1, i believe it means people cannot loop combos on you and having the combo meter and dmg reset every time the portal refreshes a hit on you. not only does it remove what would amount to 100% looping combos, but it also is a slight buff against some characters