What's new

Quan Chi Post-Release General Discussion

Didnt take me long at all haha. Once I realized that you can move it around it was a wrap. What I’ve been doing with full screen portal is move in and out alternating green and purple skull with air skull then go for the hard to block rune right before it expire.
I spent a considerable amount of time labbing Quan and my takes from it is, he has far to many problems that are fundamental to the meta. Mainly his pokes being slow and his jab being 8f startup which prevents taking your turn vs -7 and trades vs -8.

I used Cyrax, Jax, Sektor, Scorpion, Sub Zero Kameos and found vortexs, combos into +35 Restand Trap Setups and +55 setups where you could throw them into trap technically unblockable but delay wake-up them hold block beats it and the timing is strict for when trap meatys so he has to time throw exactly them, you could make the read but just 4 frames off and it wiffs.
Anyways other than the portal DB1 which is fuzzyable he has no real mix unless you count stagger or strike throw.
I ended up using Jax because he gets 25% Throw Loops with 30% +35 Restand Trap Setups and he does the trap setups meterlessly. I can do The trap setups meterlessly with Scorpion and Jax.
None of these things fix Quan's issues which will show their ugly head in high level sets where he's simply unable to take his turn back and has 13/B34(fuzzyable low to high easily) and 2144/213 is fuzzyable and if they throw in tentacle there's a way to fuzzy everything but last overhead that isn't hit confirmable or launching.
The only thing I think 13 string is useful for is Punishers. The best thing I found was knockdown advantage/trap advantage into HTB overhead sky skull but again once they learn the matchup it's fuzzyable.

If you have the answers to his several problems please share. But I do think Quan is a very cool and fun character.
If you wanna see my setups I have them all on my YouTube channel:

Jax Throw Loops which gives Quan Legit 50/50 on trap setups:

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I spent a considerable amount of time labbing Quan and my takes from it is, he has far to many problems that are fundamental to the meta. Mainly his pokes being slow and his jab being 8f startup which prevents taking your turn vs -7 and trades vs -8.

I used Cyrax, Jax, Sektor, Scorpion, Sub Zero Kameos and found vortexs, combos into +35 Restand Trap Setups and +55 setups where you could throw them into trap technically unblockable but delay wake-up them hold block beats it and the timing is strict for when trap meatys so he has to time throw exactly them, you could make the read but just 4 frames off and it wiffs.
Anyways other than the portal DB1 which is fuzzyable he has no real mix unless you count stagger or strike throw.
I ended up using Jax because he gets 25% Throw Loops with 30% +35 Restand Trap Setups and he does the trap setups meterlessly. I can do The trap setups meterlessly with Scorpion and Jax.
None of these things fix Quan's issues which will show their ugly head in high level sets where he's simply unable to take his turn back and has 13/B34(fuzzyable low to high easily) and 2144/213 is fuzzyable and if they throw in tentacle there's a way to fuzzy everything but last overhead that isn't hit confirmable or launching.
The only thing I think 13 string is useful for is Punishers. The best thing I found was knockdown advantage/trap advantage into HTB overhead sky skull but again once they learn the matchup it's fuzzyable.

If you have the answers to his several problems please share. But I do think Quan is a very cool and fun character.
If you wanna see my setups I have them all on my YouTube channel:

Jax Throw Loops which gives Quan Legit 50/50 on trap setups:
Answer, play him zone heavy and give up his poor damage in any match up you can.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Quan d1 7frames

F44 to high overhead last hit special cancelable

S1 to 6frames +1 on block

1,3 no gap

F21 overhead

S2 to mid and 0 on block

21 no gap and +2 on block

Portal reduced recovery on activation

MB portal last 3 seconds

Air skull as an overhead (or purple skulls overhead)

Base health to 950

thoughts?

Quan d1 7frames

1,3 no gap

F21 overhead

S2 to mid and 0 on block

MB portal last 3 seconds

Base health to 950

thoughts?
High on Crack

Quan d1 7frames

1,3 no gap

F21 overhead

S2 to mid and 0 on block

MB portal last 3 seconds

Base health to 950

thoughts?
I'd just make:
D1 7f
S1 7f
Fix EXDB3 so moves can't go through it and it lasts 2 additional seconds.
Make SkyDrop faster startup

Quan d1 7frames

1,3 no gap

F21 overhead

S2 to mid and 0 on block

MB portal last 3 seconds

Base health to 950

thoughts?
Too many buffs, keep things down to a simple 2 or 3.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It feels like they started out with wanting Quan to be a strong zoner. But then they started veering away from that to make him have some mixup stuff like he had in previous games. So that led to them saying “okay, if he’s gonna be a strong zoner and also have good mixups, his pokes need to be bad”. Which is fine, but I think they forgot to complete making him a “super strong zoner”. As in, they were planning to, got sidetracked, and never circled back to it. Which Is one of the reasons why he feels so weird and also not very strong. I also believe that during the process of developing him, they at first were designing him without Kameos in mind, but again somewhere along the line they were like “oh shit, this is too good when you factor in Kameos”. So all that played a role in the final product of what is Quan Chi in MK1.

Of course, this is all just educated guesses. Because it makes sense why he’s got decent zoning and okay mixups but then has terrible pokes and nearly everything being unsafe or having gaps. They could easily fix him by making his pokes match the rest of the cast, and then giving his projectiles less recovery frames. But I also haven’t played him all that much so I’m not really qualified to give buff suggestions.

Wigy

There it is...
i think quan might be bottom 3.

zoning doesnt work, his mixups arent good on risk reward, normals worst in the game.

love him cause hes got lots to pull up in the lab but my god, going back to cage felt like i was coming out the hyperbolic time chamber

just_2swift

Too many buffs, keep things down to a simple 2 or 3.
Nah fuq that this man needs BUFFS otherwise he's not worth using.

Give me a reason to pick him over other zoners NRS because Liu Kang looking real nice

Zoning on point + great AMAZING buttons

Give me a reason to pick him over mix up characters NRS because smoke looking real nice

Tons of mix up options+AMAZING mental stack pressure.

They really need to focus on what they want him to be and go in 100% on that direction cause he can't play his game effectively on either side of the coin especially when other characters do it better. My buff suggestions addresses all that.

Wigy

There it is...
S1 7f and hitbox adjusted
D1 7f or not punishable
S2 10F
Db4ex costs 1 bar
F2 11f. Why is it unsafe slow and unhitconfirmable?
Exdb3 need a longer duration to be worth a bar

If NRS does their light touch after 6months patch quan will be ass tier til 2025

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yet another high level player expressing the obvious...

Some of the worst characters in this game are zoning characters...

I wonder why...

just_2swift

Quan buff: when standing in purple portal his DB4 should do one of either these 2 things.

Launch with no meter OR cost 1 bar instead of 2.

Reduce the start up of MB skull from 38 to 20 so he can properly apply it in fireball trades.

B2 to be able to dash cancel.

Last edited:
Reduce the start up of MB skull from 38 to 20 so he can properly apply it in fireball trades.
At the moment you can bypass this issue with instant air Ex skull

And yeah something needs to be done about db4EX,curentlly quan is so meter intesive even more so post these new buffs.Pretty much everything he does to make up for horrendoues frames,gaps and defensive abilities he has to use meter for.Ex cage,ex meter drain portal,db3EX for pushing portal.non metere cage and meter drain go away fast so application is limited and you wont be able to make up for being steamrolled.
And then on top of that db4 is 2 meters,its just too much.

Post buffs if you dont want to have the same awfull character you have to focus on the cage and meter drain and armor portal,forced to use meter,plus db3ex.If they are so afraid of db4EX being 1 bar because of the overhad/low possibilites,then just make it a mid and have it be 1 bar,though realiatically it doesnt lead to some crazy damage so they should just make it 1 bar and keep it a low and see how it goes.

Last edited:

just_2swift

At the moment you can bypass this issue with instant air Ex skull

And yeah something needs to be done about db4EX,curentlly quan is so meter intesive even more so post these new buffs.Pretty much everything he does to make up for horrendoues frames,gaps and defensive abilities he has to use meter for.Ex cage,ex meter drain portal,db3EX for pushing portal.non metere cage and meter drain go away fast so application is limited and you wont be able to make up for being steamrolled.
And then on top of that db4 is 2 meters,its just too much.

Post buffs if you dont want to have the same awfull character you have to focus on the cage and meter drain and armor portal,forced to use meter,plus db3ex.If they are so afraid of db4EX being 1 bar because of the overhad/low possibilites,then just make it a mid and have it be 1 bar,though realiatically it doesnt lead to some crazy damage so they should just make it 1 bar and keep it a low and see how it goes.
To add to my list. Less recovery on air skull upon landing

Purple portal makes air skulls overhead

what do you guys think about shujinko kameo being essentially a universal counter pick to quan chi.Is it a bit too much of an effective counter pick at this point?

100+ health is chunky on its own but factor in quans natural low health and it becimes pretty drastic especially if a character already has higher health then base 1000,and then you add the cage combos shujinko gives that turn any bnb into massive damage due to lack of scaling,meqning no matter how hard quan outplays you,you get one hit and you are pretty much back in it(though that problem exists outside of just shujinko).and then on top of that you steal his skulls

Last edited:

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
If they are so afraid of db4EX being 1 bar because of the overhad/low possibilites,then just make it a mid and have it be 1 bar,though realiatically it doesnt lead to some crazy damage so they should just make it 1 bar and keep it a low and see how it goes.
I actually was saying this before red portal even came out. Tentacle should have a launching mid version as well as the 2 bar low version. Its quite pricey (thus fair) on a chracter that's SOOO meter hungry, that i actually recommend forgoing using breakers.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
Btw. I heard some streamer say that the way Quan Chis green portal works now is a bug (referring to the move having a less powerful windbox). But Im feeling like it was a balance decision... any thoughts?