What's new

General/Other Purple Rain...Purple Rain! - The Rain General Gameplay Discussion Thread

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I figured it was obvious lightning was only to punish zoners and other than that wasn't meant to be used outside a combo. Similar to his water orb, I would never use that outside of a combo unless the guy cross screen is jax or something.

If you're in a corner ex roundhouse can set up a 44% combo. Seems like a good wakeup option if it has armor and someone is pressuring you.

I think the issue I'm having is understanding the character. I can't pinpoint him, he's like a mixed bag of tricks to me. Doesn't feel like a zoner, doesn't feel like a rushdown heavy char, I don't even know what I think of him at this point. He's one quirky and unique character thats for sure.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
Just got finished playing with REO. I have some pretty bad news for you guys.

It's not looking too great. There isn't much else Rain has other than roundhouse cancel pressure and his ability to position well. His wakeup game is pretty eh without meter...with meter it is really solid, though, since about all of his options are safe on block. He can keep you in check with his lightning and bubble, but if a character has any aerial special, he struggles pretty hard. And I retract what I said about EX boost...the blocking disabled aspect, combined with getting touched period stops it just ruins everything about it. If those two things didn't exist, it'd be fine.

There's gonna be a lot of characters that give him problems.
Yeah after just playing a reptile and a sub for a while I was really starting to pickup on the fact that a lot of Rain's non meter moves......are kind of lacking. If you take a fall its an uphill battle without a stock or 2.

Furthermore......he seems to be jack of all trades master of none at best. At worst he sort of feels like a bunch of incomplete ideas rolled up in one. In combos his moves have synergy, but when it comes to land having an overall strategy and play style he is all over the place and very disjointed. I'm finding that 2/3 of his moveset are very weak without meter....which is a bad place to be. And they do little to grant you those stylish combos everyone is talking about. Its pretty much armor roundhouse or bust at the moment. Hopefully we'll find some inspiration soon, something to abuse.

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Why is 3,3,4 not low, high, high? Hoping this is another fuck up like with Kano's. Makes no sense for 3,3,4 to be h,h,h when the first kick is kicking the opponent's leg.

Why is 3,3,4 not low, high, high? Hoping this is another fuck up like with Kano's. Makes no sense for 3,3,4 to be h,h,h when the first kick is kicking the opponent's leg.
Thats NRS designing things for ya. Nightwolf has a starter that visually hits low but registers as a high. I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not but it looks odd and sloppy if you ask me.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
I noticed this too and laughed out loud at the absurdity of it. NRS really did not want him to have any low strings it seems. and truth be told I'm beginning to think he actually needs one. His zoning and rushdown are neither strong enough to where a string with a low in it would be overpowered at all for him.

I would be happy to eat my words should we find something exciting with him after a while of him being released.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Let's hold off on the 12 hour judgements of Rain, eh?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Since everyone is saying that his Roundhouse is his best tool can he discuss that and how to incorporate it into our game?

What's a good block string that lets you cancel into it?

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
Since everyone is saying that his Roundhouse is his best tool can he discuss that and how to incorporate it into our game?

What's a good block string that lets you cancel into it?
22 I feel is good its fast and easy to confirm and the dash after the canceled kick is perfect for a throw

Hm... does Rain have any sort of invincibility on start up with the H2O boost? Projectile invincibility even? On EX maybe? It's the only way I can think of it being useful.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
I agree with Gthunda about the Lightning. Its the only state your opponent will be out of commission long enough to not risk being interrupted. A knockdown would not be enough time and neither is water ball. A quick projectile can stuff you before the animation finishes.

babalook

Noob
idk how to test this but im betting if you cancel moves into a roundhouseHOLD then dash cancel you can probably create some frame traps

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
What characters do you feel pose the most problems for the Purple Prince?
Kenshi is a REALLY difficult matchup, as far as I've seen. Kenshi is at advantage on a lot of areas on the screen, and Rain can't do much to deal with charge. Mileena feels pretty bad as well. Cyber Sub may be bad if splash doesn't AA him well.

That's all I can see, so far. I don't feel the top tier will even have close to any problems with him, and it seems Rain won't have many advantageous matchups.

Risergy

Superscrub
Is it just me or is Water Stream unsafe on hit? I haven't been able to test it properly (trainer sucks yadda yadda) but I swear I've been punished by Shadow Kicks and EX Hat Spins before the animation ends and can block. Perhaps it's just a slip of the finger and I'm not holding block but it's happened to me more than once which struck me as odd.

TyrantRave

タイラント・レイブ
Furthermore......he seems to be jack of all trades master of none at best. At worst he sort of feels like a bunch of incomplete ideas rolled up in one. In combos his moves have synergy, but when it comes to land having an overall strategy and play style he is all over the place and very disjointed. I'm finding that 2/3 of his moveset are very weak without meter....which is a bad place to be. And they do little to grant you those stylish combos everyone is talking about. Its pretty much armor roundhouse or bust at the moment. Hopefully we'll find some inspiration soon, something to abuse.
This is how I feel right now. For a rushdown character, his strings are pretty meh. His 1, 2, f4 combo, while flashy, can be ducked and punished if you rely on it too much. b2,1+2 is alright, but he's got no real options after the b2, 3 mix up. 4, 3 seems like one of his better strings since it is hit confirmable into lightning, but I think rain is at disadvantage on block (could just be today's lag tho, haven't tested with a real person).

His roundhouse stuff is good. But he doesn't seem to be the kind of rushdown character that you get scared of when he's in your face -- unlike liu kang or kung lao.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
334 feels like a really quick string, and remember, he has the roundhouse cancels in his favor. His rushdown seems to be to get you to open up to a roundhouse that leads to reset so you can't wakeup.

babalook

Noob
334 feels like a really quick string, and remember, he has the roundhouse cancels in his favor. His rushdown seems to be to get you to open up to a roundhouse that leads to reset so you can't wakeup.
what reset do you speek of is it just letting them fall out of the bubble

Luija1006

since 1995
The teleport is pretty unsafe. Its not like Raiden's teleport, that in just .75 seconds he is behind your back mixing you ass. Because of the animation (going liquid in the floor direction, traveling and reappearing) he can be hit while doing it in air, also he cannot instantly hit when he reappears like Raiden, so if oponent predicts and blocks the string you perform after teleport, you eat a full combo (rain mix up sucks SO hard, why f3 hits high? could allow for the character to be a lot better). In my opinion, he is mediocre at best.