What's new

PS Vita Discussion

Sooo I'm making this because I didn't find a thread and wanted to ask a few questions about it. And might as well with MK coming out to the Vita.

Anybody have one? How is it? I'm thinking about getting it mainly for RPG and maybe portable Blazblue. Whats a good size memory?

Thanks in advance for anybody that cares to answer!

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Hey What's up. I got a 3G vita two weeks ago and I must say it's pretty fun. I stopped playing my iPod and Ps3 since I got it, probably because (1) I was always a handheld guy, and (2) it's my new tech :) so that's kinda of expected. As far as RPG games are concerned, I dont think there are any right now (at least nothing that comes to mind). Not sure what type of gamer you are, but there is Dynasty Warriors Next but it doesnt have online multiplayer (adhoc multiplayer :(). You can however copy some of your RPG PSP games or get some that you havent played before to keep you busy for now. I got the 3G because it came with an 8GB. it's pretty decent size wise I must say. I got seven games - escape plan, super startdust delta, Plants Vs Zombies, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker PSP, Unit 13 (love the co-op online multiplayer), Motorstorm RC (free for a limited time), and Mutant Blobs attack (which is the cheapest 7.99 and surprisingly the most fun), and 2 demos (Wipeout 2048 and Shinobido 2)...i got small apps like Netflix and tweeter but they are probably 24MB combined. I still have a good 1.2GB left. If you plan on going all digital, you should save up and get a 32GB. But if you going to by your games at the retail stores, 8GB should be just fine.

I dont plan on going the multimedia route with my vita, meaning im not going to put movies or music on there. I only have pictures and that's only for the background (you can setup background for each screen you have).

Coming from an iPod, the one thing I hate about the vita or Sony rather is that you will have to wait every freaking Tuesday to get something new to play and sometimes you will barely have anything coming out :(. I wish they had more indie games that would come out more often.

Since I dont have that many games yet, I spent most of my time trying to get the trophies and setting up/beating my friends highest scores.

Annoying Things:
1. You can sign on to PSN and see your PS3 friends but you will show up as offline to them. You can still message them but they might not reply thinking that you are offline. Also, opening all you messages in the Vita will not mark them as read in the PS3. You will have to go to each one again if you want to clear the message icon on your PS3.
2. If you send a picture or screenshots from you Vita, only vita owners will be able to open them. The attachment wont show up for PS3 users and vis versa. PS3 attachment wont show up on the vita.
3. The whole PSN is not fully integrated yet. Right now they have a separate app for messaging, friends, party chat (kinda make sense, and trophies. So if you looking at your friends profile and want to send them a quick message, you would have to keep on going back and forth between the friend profile app and the message profile app. Not a big deal really but still annoying. I would prefer sending a quick message and still stay on my friends profile page.

All in all, I love the Vita. If you are only planning on getting blazeblue and MK in a few weeks I suggest you start with an 8GB for $30 for now. If you want to use your vita as a multimedia device, then you might want to go higher.

Well I was thinking of mainly getting the vita for psp rpg/jrpg until there was vita release while playing portable fighters on the side. Also how would you copy/transfer psp games to the vita? I'm really a scrub when it comes to this.

How is the battery life on those things? and are the controls slick/fluid?

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
The battery life is 3-4hrs. Not too bad I must say considering the games and the crazy OLED screen (but still sucks in my opinion). The BIGGEST PLUS I will give Sony is that they made it so you can setup the D-pad, face buttons to the right analog stick. Meaning any games like Monster Hunter, Metal Gear Solid are a lot sweeter now that you can setup the camera buttons to the right analog. That's one of the main reason I went back to MGS Peace Walker and Monster Hunter. It REALLY makes a huge difference when you can control the camera with the right stick. Oh to do this, you will have to touch the front screen for 3-4 sec and a menu will come up.

To transfer your games you will either need a PC or download them on your PS3.

Let me know if you need to know anything else:)

EDIT: I dont have any fighting games for now so I dont know how the control is for that. A friend of mine got UMvC3 and I havent heard him complain about the controls